What’s Next?

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

DJ Bobcat

DJ Extraordinerror
Nov 8, 2014
Oklahoma City
The reason I ask the question is because... I honestly don't know. I’ve always been one to try to look ahead... to try and assess where technology is going. What’s on the horizon.... what’s next? I was pretty good at it as an IT professional, but as a DJ???... Not so much.[emoji23]

Notice this thread is not in the DIY forum, because I haven't decided on what I'm gonna build yet. In fact, I was gonna hold off posting this for a few months, but after @DJ Taso posted pics of his new setup...

DJ Taso's New Setup

... it just fit right in what I've been thinking about. Then @rickryan.com posted his newest setup...

Rick Ryan's Setup

Are these the kind of systems DJ's are going to???

Both my systems are in racks...

1538440030157.png

Some say racks are passé. Maybe they are? If so, what’s next? I've been looking at a lot of options, and I thought I'd share some of them here. There are a BUNCH of options to buy, and of course you can build anything you can imagine if you have the skills or the tools. Or you can have someone else build from your design. Here's some of the options I've considered...

1538440895186.png
1538441050908.png

1538441275457.png
1538441509370.png
1538441846920.png
1538442309157.png
1538442165786.png

... And thers's MANY more. As I've said in my last DIY thread, my next system WILL NOT be a rack system. Something on a table top or podium is what I've been thinking, but I still want the advantages of a rack system, which is easy setup due to having everything pre-wired. So here's a conceptual drawing of what I'm thinking about...

1538442835948.png

I'm looking at going with a larger controller, like maybe a Denon MC7000, and a table top mixer, like perhaps a PreSonus StudioLive AR8. I have a really nice mixer that I rarely use (Allen & Heath ZED 10FX), but it lacks the Bluetooth I discovered I REALLY like in my Denon DN-410X.

So this is what I'm thinking. What are you guys doing??? Anybody else planning a on a NEW LOOK?

Last edited:
Reactions: Jeff Romard
I like the idea of a rolling rack - always have. I used one for several years. The down side to the racks is that they're usually heavy and are not too compact.

Reactions: Ausumm
When I went to Miami Beach to dj a wedding, the system was rented. it was essentially what your rolling rack was... but the outside was wrapped in a white tufted plush design. It was really nice, and great that it rolled right in. It was fairly lightweight as there was nothing on it. Everything was placed on it after it was put in place. It actually was a little bit larger than what you designed, as it had room for laptops to its left and right as well (or for paperwork or whatever). The dj at my wedding had his set up like yours as well and his was white wood like mine, and had fancy trims. I couldn't fit what you did in my van as one solid piece. I also like to be more exposed, as i am tired of hiding completely behind a booth.

I like the idea of a rolling rack - always have. I used one for several years. The down side to the racks is that they're usually heavy and are not too compact.

My concept is more of a rolling pre-wired podium with lower shelf for transporting my EVOX-8’s. It will look cleaner than a rack, and shouldn’t require a facade...
714e94ca72b314a2646a9db012b29ed8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Andy A
you are way overthinking this.

The best setup IMO is to keep it simple with a coffin on top of a DJ table/stand. Many varieties and companies make them, most notably, Oddysey. BLACK LABEL FOLD-OUT DJ TABLE STAND - DJ Equipment | Music Trends DJ GEAR : Long Island - (https://www.musictrends.com/product/black-label-fold-out-dj-table-stand/)

What Taso did is the more modern approach with a flat level and no coffin as it's all built on.

This is the one I am eyeing--https://www.hoerboard.com/furniture/stereo-t/

I love the seamless sunk in (flat equipment) look.

I will tell you what I think doesn't look good- Dual monitors covering your face or the huge rack things 90s DJs use with Dual CD Players.

You want to highlight your DJing with the equipment upfront and not much else.

Rolling the whole thing sounds nice and easy but it's far from reality in most venues.

Reactions: SEDJ and ittigger
When I went to Miami Beach to dj a wedding, the system was rented. it was essentially what your rolling rack was... but the outside was wrapped in a white tufted plush design. It was really nice, and great that it rolled right in. It was fairly lightweight as there was nothing on it. Everything was placed on it after it was put in place. It actually was a little bit larger than what you designed, as it had room for laptops to its left and right as well (or for paperwork or whatever). The dj at my wedding had his set up like yours as well and his was white wood like mine, and had fancy trims. I couldn't fit what you did in my van as one solid piece. I also like to be more exposed, as i am tired of hiding completely behind a booth.

I like what you’ve done. Can’t tell how wide/deep it is, but mine will be 4 feet wide and 25” deep. It should fit right in the side door of my minivan and fit behind the front row of seats. I wouldn’t mind being more visible... The only reason for the current facade is to hide wires. I think I can hide all the wires better in this new design than I can with my current racks.

The best setup IMO is to keep it simple with a coffin on top of a DJ table/stand. Many varieties and companies make them, most notably, Oddysey. BLACK LABEL FOLD-OUT DJ TABLE STAND - DJ Equipment | Music Trends DJ GEAR : Long Island - (https://www.musictrends.com/product/black-label-fold-out-dj-table-stand/)

What Taso did is the more modern approach with a flat level and no coffin as it's all built on.

I will tell you what I think doesn't look good- Dual monitors covering your face.
The stereo t was clearly my inspiration.. I even got quotes from them for it (they'll even do the coffin only and not the podium... I considered using trusses as my column(s)). The price was not so much the issue (although my guy ended up being cheaper by a couple of hundred since he was 5 miles away). The issue was that there was no way to customize to my exact liking for my particular needs. The one I made had been modified a bunch of times since august to get it how I need it for quick set up and breakdown and versatility, and space savings. The hoerboard podium has to be built at every event (literally comes as 4 separate panels for the column), and was just too time consuming and too many screws that could easily be lost.

Reactions: DJ Bobcat
I like what you’ve done. Can’t tell how wide/deep it is, but mine will be 4 feet wide and 25” deep. It should fit right in the side door of my minivan and fit behind the front row of seats. I wouldn’t mind being more visible... The only reason for the current facade is to hide wires. I think I can hide all the wires better in this new design than I can with my current racks.

Absolutely nothing wrong with your design. My only advice... it is ALL IN THE DETAILS... wether it means adding textural details such as framing, or adding a plush overlay, or using a high quality glossy paint... you want it too look upscale/expensive.

Absolutely nothing wrong with your design. My only advice... it is ALL IN THE DETAILS... wether it means adding textural details such as framing, or adding a plush overlay, or using a high quality glossy paint... you want it too look upscale/expensive.

Totally agree... Not sure yet what the surface will be covered in. Geez.. it’s really only a concept at this point.[emoji4] I’m likely to change the design a hundred times before I start.[emoji1] And I’m not above stealing good ideas others’ posts or taking advice from those who know what they’re talking about.[emoji4]

Reactions: ittigger

[emoji1]But at least I’M thinking!!!

Then that’s what YOU should go with. I’m a DIY kinda guy, and enjoy the process of building my own. I also don’t mind being a little different.[emoji1]

I will tell you what I think doesn't look good- Dual monitors covering your face...

I like my large monitors, but they really don’t block me from view much more than two 17” laptops. I probably will downsize a bit to dual 20” AIO computers.[emoji4]

Rolling the whole thing sounds nice and easy but it's far from reality in most venues.
Actually, I currently roll most of my gear into EVERY venue I play on a Rock’n Roller cart extended to about the same length as the podium in my design. Instead of carrying my gear (stacked on the cart) in padded bags, it will be enclosed in the shelves under my podium, which I’ll cover (on the inside) with padded fabric. Should save me a TON of time in setup and tear-down.

I have the luxury of being able to pick and choose the venues I’m willing to play. If I can’t roll in my gear, I pass on the gig. I’m too old to be totin’ around heavy gear.[emoji4]

Reactions: jaswrx and ittigger
There are some venues I can roll in. There are quite a few that I cannot.

Different city... ENTIRELY different area. In this area, I NEVER have to unload a significant distance from the venue, practically always have a ramp (but I do carry my own folding ramp), and parking is NEVER an issue. It’s a LOT different than in your neck of the woods.[emoji4]

Reactions: Jeff Romard
...And I’m not above stealing good ideas others’ posts or taking advice from those who know what they’re talking about.[emoji4]

Oh... and @djtaso... I forgot to mention there is at least one idea I’m gonna steal from your new system... that side mounted rack drawer. I was trying to figure out where I was going to mount my wireless mic system and patch panel. A 2U drawer mounted on the side will work perfectly, with a wire chase behind it. Thanks![emoji4]

Oh... and @djtaso... I forgot to mention there is at least one idea I’m gonna steal from your new system... that side mounted rack drawer. I was trying to figure out where I was going to mount my wireless mic system and patch panel. A 2U drawer mounted on the side will work perfectly, with a wire chase behind it. Thanks![emoji4]

That’s actually not in my design (although it’s set up for the option). I just have shelves for my mics and surge protector for controller and laptops and mic receivers. All the rack stuff and power goes behind me. That pic you saw with the rollout drawer was from another design of his.

ive been really happy with my Dragon front board (though they are heavy)...but would like 2 or 3 different ones for multiple style events...

cc

The other thing about racks that I’m not too thrilled with is you’re locked into rack-mount gear, and it’s getting harder to find. I really like my Denon MC6000MK2’s, but there are not a lot of comparable rack size controllers. And honestly, I’d like something a little larger. When I was trying to find a rack-mount mixer for my Small System, the choices were pretty slim. I only had a 1U space to work with, so that was another factor that really limited my choices, but without being limited to rack-mountable gear, there are numerous choices. Now, granted, my conceptual design has a specific size opening for a Denon MC7000 controller and PreSonus StudioLive AR8 mixer, so I’m still limiting myself on the size of gear I can put in there. At this point, I’m not locked into those two choices because I haven’t bought anything yet.[emoji4] Heck, I’ve only used my reworked Small System once, and have NEVER used my new Large System, so it’s WAY to soon to start buying new gear. It’s fun to think about, but who knows what new stuff might be available by the time I’m ready to start building this thing?[emoji1]

....because I no longer do weddings, as well as approaching 72 years old, everything is modular. The heaviest/largest thing I deal with are my 15" subs @ 42 pounds. My DIY console sits on a black fabric covered folding table, high enough I can stand/dance behind it - I never sit. However, the true Litmus Test is it all must fit in only the trunk and back seat of a regular passenger car, lights included - nothing in the passenger seat - and that it sound good. That's really the only two requirements!

....because I no longer do weddings, as well as approaching 72 years old, everything is modular. The heaviest/largest thing I deal with are my 15" subs @ 42 pounds. My DIY console sits on a black fabric covered folding table, high enough I can stand/dance behind it - I never sit. However, the true Litmus Test is it all must fit in only the trunk and back seat of a regular passenger car, lights included - nothing in the passenger seat - and that it sound good. That's really the only two requirements!

Would love to see some pics???[emoji4] Don’t know how you get everything in a passenger car?... I down sized a LOT when I replaced my subs and speakers with RCF EXOX-8’s, but still have a pretty full minivan. I do carry quite a bit of backup gear, though.