What’s Next?

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
I don’t see how the dual monitor AIO setup would look much different than Taso’s dual 17” Laptop setup???

59912c8af53fddb99708cb5a13a70439.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I guess if you use 2 15" screens (I don't think they've made a 17" Macbook for a while) .. 2 21" screens would make it substantially heavier looking on top .. just my opinion.

Reactions: ittigger
I guess if you use 2 15" screens (I don't think they've made a 17" Macbook for a while) .. 2 21" screens would make it substantially heavier looking on top .. just my opinion.

You might be right about Taso’s laptops... might be 15”??? Hard to judge scale from a photo, but if the top of his podium is 48” wide, those laptops seem larger than 15”. Maybe @djtaso could chime in and tell us??? It would also be interesting to know the dimensions of the top of his podium???[emoji4]

You might be right about Taso’s laptops... might be 15”??? Hard to judge scale from a photo, but if the top of his podium is 48” wide, those laptops seem larger than 15”. Maybe @djtaso could chime in and tell us??? It would also be interesting to know the dimensions of the top of his podium???[emoji4]

The subs are about 26" in width, so my guess is the podium top is 32" or so.

Again, you might be right, but he has a larger controller and other gear beside it... 32” is not very wide for that.

I believe Taso uses an RZ .. that's 34" wide, so maybe it's 36". It's fun guessing ..

Reactions: DJ Bobcat
I believe Taso uses an RZ .. that's 34" wide, so maybe it's 36". It's fun guessing ..

Well, if it’s only 36”, then those laptops could very well be 15.6”. I don’t like using something that small... 17” would be a stretch.[emoji1] Laptops just are not practical for me because I hate reaching out across my controller to use the keyboard, and I hate the stupid mouse pads (or those little mouse buttons), so I’m gonna use a wireless mouse and keyboard anyway. An AIO is like a laptop with no keyboard and a bigger screen... WIN WIN![emoji1] The 19.5” AIO I purchased might just barely be big enough. We’ll see.[emoji4]

Well, if it’s only 36”, then those laptops could very well be 15.6”. I don’t like using something that small... 17” would be a stretch.[emoji1] Laptops just are not practical for me because I hate reaching out across my controller to use the keyboard, and I hate the stupid mouse pads (or those little mouse buttons), so I’m gonna use a wireless mouse and keyboard anyway. An AIO is like a laptop with no keyboard and a bigger screen... WIN WIN![emoji1] The 19.5” AIO I purchased might just barely be big enough. We’ll see.[emoji4]

Why not just go 1 screen switched between them and maybe a tablet as an emergency second screen off the lesser used box? I use the DUET app (there are others) and it works great as a screen.

Then get an ultra wide single monitor and make it look like a facade top from the audience side. Maybe like this ... Samsung C34H890 Curved 34" Ultra WQHD Monitor (3440x1440) Perfect multi-tasking with a 21:9 wide screen, PBP and easy setting box S/W , 1800R, USB Type C -International Version- - Newegg.com - (https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA2RY65J1680&cm_re=ultra_widescreen_monitor-_-9SIA2RY65J1680-_-Product)

1539877298169.png

Last edited:
Why not just go 1 screen switched between them and maybe a tablet as an emergency second screen off the lesser used box? I use the DUET app (there are others) and it works great as a screen.

Then get an ultra wide single monitor and make it look like a facade top from the audience side.

Ya know... I considered doing that when I built my current Large System (dual 22” monitors)... I even considered going with a single extra wide monitor more recently. The reason I didn’t???... My hangup with contingency planning.[emoji1]... With two monitors, it would take me exactly 10 seconds to switch the RJ45 cable from my main computer to the monitor of my backup/light control computer if my main monitor went out. Or I could just use the backup computer. With only one monitor, if it goes out, I couldn’t use EITHER computer until I switched in a spare. I like having my backups already running and live.[emoji4]

How often do monitors fail???... Not very often, but it DOES happen. When I used to have a tech support team that serviced offices all over the state, we had to send tech’s out with spare monitors from time-to-time. Mostly the failures were power supply related, but there were a few where the video circuitry went out and left only random colored lines on the screen.[emoji1]

....Then get an ultra wide single monitor and make it look like a facade top from the audience side. ...

You’ll notice in some of my latest concepts, I have a single wider lid inside of which I can mount two monitors/AIO’s...

db4ccc3b6bd09113659a523e793517be.jpg

9e14554dfbaeb4b46a5dc1435a7a2963.jpg

... I kinda hoped that would have a similar look to a table top facade, only maybe a little cleaner.[emoji4]

Reactions: steve149
I don't think one way is ever going to work for everyone. What works for me might be a nightmare for someone else.
Here in the Cleveland area, I find myself in some older places at times where a rolling rack just doesn't work.
I prefer small light modules that I can move around easily.
I prefer smaller modern equipment that provides more clarity over more pounding bass.

I believe many of my clients love that my set up often goes unnoticed while their decorations become the focal point. If I can do this while making the music sound good, people are happy. Some DJ's feel much differently. And that's ok.

It might be that smaller equipment makes me feel more comfortable, which in turn makes my clients more comfortable. Who knows? It works for me.

The event I'm doing on Sunday will have equipment that will all fit in a backpack and will have no cords. . I know some DJ's that simply couldn't do that, no matter what the event was. 😄

By the way... I DO love those Ultra wide screen monitors. I DO plan to buy one to replace the dual monitors on my desk (connected to my office computer).[emoji4]...

5ec7d071365da7712f04922434e8f196.jpg

It would replace the two monitors on the right.[emoji4]

I don't think one way is ever going to work for everyone. What works for me might be a nightmare for someone else.
Here in the Cleveland area, I find myself in some older places at times where a rolling rack just doesn't work.
I prefer small light modules that I can move around easily.
I prefer smaller modern equipment that provides more clarity over more pounding bass.

I believe many of my clients love that my set up often goes unnoticed while their decorations become the focal point. If I can do this while making the music sound good, people are happy. Some DJ's feel much differently. And that's ok.

It might be that smaller equipment makes me feel more comfortable, which in turn makes my clients more comfortable. Who knows? It works for me.

The event I'm doing on Sunday will have equipment that will all fit in a backpack and will have no cords. . I know some DJ's that simply couldn't do that, no matter what the event was. [emoji1]

I totally agree with you. It would be almost impossible to build a one-size-fits-all system. And though my Small System isn’t even close to as small as yours, it still only requires a 30”x30” space (not including me [emoji4]). Having an ULTRA small system that fits in a backpack seems like a GREAT idea... IS THAT WHAT’S NEXT???[emoji1]... Could be... What does yours consist of, Scott (if you don’t mind sharing)???[emoji4]

So the MacBooks are 15”. I use a ddj-sz which is 34” wide and the podium top is about 38” wide total. I don’t know the exact dimensions of the base, but I’d say around 24”. The top and bottom screw into the podium, and the base is weighted a little. Tipping it over is not an easy thing to do.

Thanks... I was guessing 40-42” wide, but that’s because I thought the laptops were 17”.[emoji1]

Didn’t I see another small device next to your controller in one pic?

Did I win a prize for being closest?

Reactions: djtaso and ittigger
Sure... and the prize is a DATE WITH MIXMASTERMACHOMAN![emoji1]
... Your treat of course.[emoji1]
I already had one last year .. he stood me up for dinner ...