vertical truss - educate me

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

rickryan.com

DJ Extraordinaire
ODJT Supporter
Dec 9, 2009
Hendersonville, TN
www.rickryan.com
I'm giving some thought to upgrading to using vertical truss and moving heads. Would anybody care to chime in on the ins/outs of how to configure this? How high (6ft, 8ft, etc)? Do you buy smaller sections or one single piece? What about base plates (size/weight)? How in the heck to you haul this stuff around? My initial thoughts are to have 4 columns (each corner of the dance floor). Mover on top, with a strong par can on each, pointing towards the dance floor. Might also look at hanging TVs from each column. Would appreciate any insight you'd care to share.

Thanks in advance.

I'll let someone that has more experience actually share theirs, but has always looked to me like I'd have to start using a trailer, or rent a van to do this. Even in 4 foot lengths, the truss takes up a lot of transport space, and I'm loaded up pretty good as it is in my SUV.

You might want to consider contacting a production company that has this gear now. Price out what they would charge to bring it. And try selling it with a small, or even zero markup before making the investment yourself. That would let you test the market and price sensitivity for it - as well as get some photos and video of it in action to use as a sales tool.

Reactions: rhythmgj
I'm giving some thought to upgrading to using vertical truss and moving heads. Would anybody care to chime in on the ins/outs of how to configure this? How high (6ft, 8ft, etc)? Do you buy smaller sections or one single piece? What about base plates (size/weight)? How in the heck to you haul this stuff around? My initial thoughts are to have 4 columns (each corner of the dance floor). Mover on top, with a strong par can on each, pointing towards the dance floor. Might also look at hanging TVs from each column. Would appreciate any insight you'd care to share.

Thanks in advance.
I suggest 6ft trusses for your first set. depending on the size of the head, you may not be able to fit in certain low ceiling buildings. The chances of not fitting increases signicantly more w 8ft trusses. I don't suggest getting these because your market wants them... as I doubt most dj's have this look there... you get them to stand out. I don't suggest adding a par can on em as they kill the clean look of the truss in my opinion, and with good quality heads, you don't need all that extra light. I personally fit four 6ft trusses, two 7ft trusses, and two 1.5ft trusses in my ford transit (extended, medium roof). I actually fit everything I offer in that van. If you don't have a large vehicle like that or a chevy express style van (I can fit 4 trusses in there), I suggest getting 4 3ft segments and combining them into 6ft segments as thats what my guy used to do who owned a honda pilot. However, if you have to go that route with smaller segments, chances are your vehicle wont be able to fit 8 of those to do 4 corners. Base plates... you need 12x12 inch ones on top, and either 24x24 steel or 30x30 aluminum on the bottom. If you plan on doing tv's you need either the 30x30 size or 36x36. I have 4 30x30's and 2 24x24's. If you're putting these in an area that could get crowded... buy sandbags.

I suggest 6ft trusses for your first set. depending on the size of the head, you may not be able to fit in certain low ceiling buildings. The chances of not fitting increases signicantly more w 8ft trusses. I don't suggest getting these because your market wants them... as I doubt most dj's have this look there... you get them to stand out. I don't suggest adding a par can on em as they kill the clean look of the truss in my opinion, and with good quality heads, you don't need all that extra light. I personally fit four 6ft trusses, two 7ft trusses, and two 1.5ft trusses in my ford transit (extended, medium roof). I actually fit everything I offer in that van. If you don't have a large vehicle like that or a chevy express style van (I can fit 4 trusses in there), I suggest getting 4 3ft segments and combining them into 6ft segments as thats what my guy used to do who owned a honda pilot. However, if you have to go that route with smaller segments, chances are your vehicle wont be able to fit 8 of those to do 4 corners. Base plates... you need 12x12 inch ones on top, and either 24x24 steel or 30x30 aluminum on the bottom. If you plan on doing tv's you need either the 30x30 size or 36x36. I have 4 30x30's and 2 24x24's. If you're putting these in an area that could get crowded... buy sandbags.

I'm using a full-size Chevy Express cargo van. For hauling, I have 3, 2'X4' flat-beds that are pre-loaded. 2 carts are fully loaded with sound and uplights. The 3rd one has a pair of 15" subs and could probably carry 4, 3' sections of truss and the base plates. Right now, I know of only 1 competitor who uses vertical truss. He sells 2 DJs for $2,000 and I can out-sell him 4-to-1 when we go head to head. Even if I up my presentation game, I'm honestly not sure if I have the energy and the youth to pull it off. At 53, I'm sucking stump water a lot of nights.

Reactions: Albatross
I'm using a full-size Chevy Express cargo van. For hauling, I have 3, 2'X4' flat-beds that are pre-loaded. 2 carts are fully loaded with sound and uplights. The 3rd one has a pair of 15" subs and could probably carry 4, 3' sections of truss and the base plates. Right now, I know of only 1 competitor who uses vertical truss. He sells 2 DJs for $2,000 and I can out-sell him 4-to-1 when we go head to head. Even if I up my presentation game, I'm honestly not sure if I have the energy and the youth to pull it off. At 53, I'm sucking stump water a lot of nights.
Out of curiosity, don't you have any friends who have kids looking for jobs. You're at the age that most would have kids in the 17-23 range I'd like to think, and are def looking for extra money

Out of curiosity, don't you have any friends who have kids looking for jobs. You're at the age that most would have kids in the 17-23 range I'd like to think, and are def looking for extra money

I keep waffling back and forth on whether to continue/expand the DJ operation or phase it out and go strictly photography. My son was going with me as assistant and he just started his first "real" job, a couple of weeks ago. I'm going to have to reach out and find some kids that can do the grunt work.

Another question, 8-inch or 12-inch box truss? I'm getting close to pulling the trigger, and am leaning towards 2, 6' pieces of 8-inch box truss. I may go ahead and pickup the truss and put my acrobats or flat mirror scanners (50 watt units) on top (until I can afford some movers).