Uplights on Columns

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

scgstuff

DJ Extraordinaire
Jun 30, 2017
Central Texas
garrisentertainment.com
I have a wedding contracted for September next year that wants the 10 columns in the room uplit. What is the best method for that? Two lights with them on the 3:00 and 9:00 corners, 4 lights each column centered or just 1 on the side that is on the dance floor or from the entry door? We typically have just done walls.

Last edited:
Reactions: Andy A and ittigger
I have a wedding contracted for September next year that wants the 10 columns in the room uplit. What is the best method for that? Two lights with them on the 3:00 and 9:00 corners, 4 lights each column centered or just 1 on the side that is on the dance floor or from the entry door? We typically have just done walls.

How many fixtures do you have available? And do you have a photo of the space?

Reactions: ittigger
I think I might go back and front (front being the direction from where the photo was taken. Not sure any benefit of lighting the wall side of the columns and the interior side will have the lights kicked. I'd also check to see what power was available on the columns, or you need battery powered lights or cord coming down the columns.

I do know I wouldn't hire any of those photographers listed on the photo credits. Buildings need to be straight .. damn it.

Definitely make sure you use wireless Up Lights.

Where to put them won't matter much as long as they are lit up, but the inside of the beams would be better from the guest perspective if you only have 1 light per beam. ...Those beams are small enough that the light from a single light will spread as it climbs up towards that high ceiling. One on each side would be best. You don't need 4 with beams that small. If they were HUGE cement columns, 4 would be best per beam, but 2 can still work.

Judging from the pic, that is 12 wireless lights for the beams. I would also at least put 1 in each corner of the room. So 16 Up lights or more.

Reactions: Andy A
The proper way would be along all 4 sides... but if you're renting and quantity is an issue when it comes to profits, I'd do the insides facing the middle of the room.

ditto

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to go out to the venue sometime after I get back stateside and look. I like the recommendation about the room corners, also. I think I am probably leaning towards 1 inside, 1 outside of the columns and the corners. Just depends on if I can find a good rental place in the area or have to buy.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I'm sure it's a mute point since the venue would more than likely need outlets on the top of those two beams that run length-wise overhead, but it would be a beautiful look to have colored pin spots highlighting each of those table tops.

I'm sure it's a mute point since the venue would more than likely need outlets on the top of those two beams that run length-wise overhead, but it would be a beautiful look to have colored pin spots highlighting each of those table tops.
Depending on the distance, both Chauvet (EZPin IRC) and ADJ (PinPoint Go) make battery powered pin spots.

Reactions: ittigger and TJS
Yeah I forgot about Chauvet battery powered pinspots. How long do those last? I have their Quad Feedom Pars which have an awesome 20 hr run time on a single charge. Love ‘em! ....but pricey.
Not sure .. looks like 6-7 hours, but it also appears the Chauvet ones have been discontinued.

with that floor plan, how many and where placed may largely have to do with table placement. My preference would be inside & outside of each post, assuming some of the tables will be outside of the posts. I wouldn't feel bad lighting only the insides if the floor space was crowded. Creating a trip hazard amongst the tables would be a concern.