Upgrading my photobooth setup

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

rickryan.com

DJ Extraordinaire
ODJT Supporter
Dec 9, 2009
Hendersonville, TN
www.rickryan.com
I've been running photobooth add-ons for several years. DNP RX1 dye sublimation printer, windows netbook with Breezesys software and a tethered camera with flash. It requires an operator and frankly, it just ain't cool-looking no more. Since we have several of these scheduled for this year, I think it's time we upgrade. I'm planning to go to an ipad, which is mounted inside a ring LED light (always on). For printing, I just ordered DNP WPS Pro, to do wireless printing from the ipad.

DNP WPS Pro Wireless Print Server

For the light/ipad, I'm looking at this rig:

https://www.amazon.com/SOCIALITE-Ki...20886353&sr=8-15&keywords=led+ring+light+ipad

I'm waiting on ordering the light until I get the wireless hub unit in and test it out. To finish dressing it out, I'll weight the stand down (sandbag) and use a white scrim with led uplighting inside of it. IF everything works right (fingers crossed) then that does away with a technician slot. On the downside, it will limit the number of people in the frame (I can currently do 15). If I'm able to use my current ipad, then the upgrade is going to end up costing me about $700 and I think this will compete with what's currently on the market (the ring light units seem to be most popular these days). What are you guys doing for your photobooth rigs? Any suggestions on ipad software?

This is the Photo Booth I would purchase if I went in on this. Venue Pro | Atlanta Photo Booth

All I would need if I am reading the specifics correctly is to purchase a printer, which I assume would need to be a dye sublimation printer?

So basically a little less than a $6,000 investment.

There is another one that fits on top of a Speaker Stand an weighs 19 lbs called the Micro Booth. But, it's not attractive.

Micro Booth

Reactions: DJ Bobcat
This is the Photo Booth I would purchase if I went in on this. Venue Pro | Atlanta Photo Booth

All I would need if I am reading the specifics correctly is to purchase a printer, which I assume would need to be a dye sublimation printer?

So basically a little less than a $6,000 investment.

There is another one that fits on top of a Speaker Stand an weighs 19 lbs called the Micro Booth. But, it's not attractive.

Micro Booth

$5100 and no printer? That's nutz. The printer is another grand.

Reactions: IceBurghDJ
I gave up on the photobooth idea. Most photographers in my area have them. If a couple does inquire with me about one, I outsource it. However, the mirror booth seems to be pretty popular now. I would love to see a 3D booth in person.

The ring light you bought is what I have to "uplight" my tops on the sub pole..
(looks better in a dark room)

View attachment 33834

No, the ring light I just bought is like 18 inches but man, you just gave me some inspiration. I bet a 4"-5" light would look fabulous on a sub. Thanks, now I gotta spend some more money.

Hey, are those battery or plug-in?

plug in with adjustable LED lights.

(technically, this one is for a microscope, but same concept)

led-144b-zk-accessories-1c.jpg

Here is a link to the kind I have.
I like that they have adjustable screws that can attach to the sub pole.
You can point it up at your tops or down at the sub.
It really is a nice effect, and makes it easier to see the speakers (as a safety concern)
Only wish they had colors....

144 LED Adjustable Compact Microscope Ring Light + Adapter with Black Finish

Reactions: ittigger
I gave up on the photobooth idea. Most photographers in my area have them. If a couple does inquire with me about one, I outsource it. However, the mirror booth seems to be pretty popular now. I would love to see a 3D booth in person.
Everyone and their mom has them here too... but I still get it added on to more than half of my events... thats literally an extra $20k in revenue. When people come to you, they are asking you if you offer it because they trust you, and rather not go searching for others to provide a quality product. After you do it a few times, and clients know that you offer it, it becomes even easier. I haven't seen another photo booth at my events other than mine... and it's not like offer anything super high end... just very personlizaed (we have 8 different backdrops, and the templates are always custom designed for each event). I wouldn't disregard it.

My next task is photobooth software for ios. I see several that allow the user to share the photo, but it looks like they're posting back to the user's facebook/instagram/twitter page(s). I want to be able to set it up to post to a particular gallery on MY page. I want those users having to click over and like MY page. If I can get this work, I'm likely going to add photobooth to every bundled package we offer. I see it much the same way that Taso has used snapchat to his advantage. Can you imagine the power of being able to have most of the guests at the party you're working to go to your social media page? I'm just crossing my fingers that it works the way I'm envisioning it.

My next task is photobooth software for ios. I see several that allow the user to share the photo, but it looks like they're posting back to the user's facebook/instagram/twitter page(s). I want to be able to set it up to post to a particular gallery on MY page. I want those users having to click over and like MY page. If I can get this work, I'm likely going to add photobooth to every bundled package we offer. I see it much the same way that Taso has used snapchat to his advantage. Can you imagine the power of being able to have most of the guests at the party you're working to go to your social media page? I'm just crossing my fingers that it works the way I'm envisioning it.
This is all about the software. I use social booth, and while you can do facebook and twitter (not insta), I have to admit it is a hassle to have the user login each time. You can set it up though so that they're required to like your facebook page before posting. However, the most popular features by far are the text messaging feature... where guests can get a text sent to their phone of their strip. You can edit the text they receive... so mine says here is your photo booth strip from your event tonight with DJ Taso. Please like us on facebook (insert link) or check out our website (insert site) for more awesome content from our events!

$5100 and no printer? That's nutz. The printer is another grand.

Just curious. I don't know the specific pricing of each part that goes into producing one of these photo booths. You say that $5,100 is nuts. Perhaps there is room for negotiation on price. How much do you think one of these booths should be priced at?

I got another quote on a Open Air Photo Booth which is priced at $6,250. I have not received a price quote on a Micro booth yet.

Just curious. I don't know the specific pricing of each part that goes into producing one of these photo booths. You say that $5,100 is nuts. Perhaps there is room for negotiation on price. How much do you think one of these booths should be priced at?

I got another quote on a Open Air Photo Booth which is priced at $6,250. I have not received a price quote on a Micro booth yet.

Let me run down the pieces:

Dye sub printer (DNP) - $800
iPad pro - $500
Ring light with stand and tablet mount - $300
Scrim - $30
LED Light - $100
DNP wifi hub - $300

You're paying a mighty hefty premium for a pedestal, and one that's not going to be easy to haul around. Software for ios appears pretty cheap as well. If you'd prefer to run Windows, there's also an assortment of tablets that would do the job, and PB software usually runs a couple hundred bucks.

This is all about the software. I use social booth, and while you can do facebook and twitter (not insta), I have to admit it is a hassle to have the user login each time. You can set it up though so that they're required to like your facebook page before posting. However, the most popular features by far are the text messaging feature... where guests can get a text sent to their phone of their strip. You can edit the text they receive... so mine says here is your photo booth strip from your event tonight with DJ Taso. Please like us on facebook (insert link) or check out our website (insert site) for more awesome content from our events!

I agree, no way would I want my booth tied up with people trying to login to their own social media pages, especially using an on-screen keyboard. The text thing with the mask or tagline is very good, but not quite what I'm looking for. I want photos to post to my page, under a specific album. I want those guests having to click like on my page. Either way, the possibilities are much better than what I'm currently doing.

Let me run down the pieces:

Dye sub printer (DNP) - $800
iPad pro - $500
Ring light with stand and tablet mount - $300
Scrim - $30
LED Light - $100
DNP wifi hub - $300

You're paying a mighty hefty premium for a pedestal, and one that's not going to be easy to haul around. Software for ios appears pretty cheap as well. If you'd prefer to run Windows, there's also an assortment of tablets that would do the job, and PB software usually runs a couple hundred bucks.

Those photo booths all come with a Cannon T6 Camera as well. ...I see that can be purchased on Ebay for $356.

So parting it all out, and building one myself with the camera, and photobooth software would roughly be about $2,600 or so. Vs. $5,100 + the cost of the printer if I were to purchase that one fro Atlanta Photobooth

Those photo booths all come with a Cannon T6 Camera as well. ...I see that can be purchased on Ebay for $356.

So parting it all out, and building one myself with the camera, and photobooth software would roughly be about $2,600 or so. Vs. $5,100 + the cost of the printer if I were to purchase that one fro Atlanta Photobooth

I wouldn't do another DSLR-based booth. The sensors on those crop-sensors don't handle light very well, and you end up needing to put an always-on light on your subject in order for the camera to be able to get focus. I think the always-on, ring lights are a better solution and with that you can use the webcam built into a table. It will streamline your setup and will likely give just as clean of a shot than a t6 will.

Reactions: IceBurghDJ