Upgrading my lighting inventory

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
For $150, it's not a problem. It just surprised me that a single LED, which produces all variations of color, would have this kind of issue at all. Incidentally, the quote I have from Alibaba is $109 each on a batch of 10. Air shipping is $388. I've got to confirm that they're including the charging case and then I'm likely placing an order for the first batch. I'm probably going to start putting my Slimpars up for sale. If I can get $50/each, then I'm swapping 20 old for 10 new (well, kinda).
They're NOT single LEDs. There is 6 of them in close proximity in a chip package .. a diode can only emit 1 color. If the six aren't positioned properly and if the optics don't truly focus them into a single beam, then you get the haloing.

or the realization that a $150 version of a $450 fixture comes with limitations ...
Having seen many of those more expensive adj and chauvet fixtures... I honestly can't notice much of a difference in 95% of the situations. But when u notice u notice lol.

EDIT: As steve said its multiple leds not just one... and the precise placement of them matters. I've had to open the cases and shift things slightly because there was extreme haloing going on (much more noticeable than yours rick).

Yea .. I'm not saying a $150 version of a $450 anything couldn't be of value .. just that usually there are tradeoffs to get to that price point.

Reactions: ittigger
Yea .. I'm not saying a $150 version of a $450 anything couldn't be of value .. just that usually there are tradeoffs to get to that price point.
Having had them for almost 4 or 5 years, there is only 1 VERY evident tradeoff. If you have any issue with a part, or a battery, or a circuit board or row of leds go out... you'll end up having to buy a new unit, as trying to get anything out these chinese companies is next to impossible... whereas adj or chauvet would do things under warranty, or be able to get you that part or battery. So that $150 price in reality is closer to $200 over time as replacements are bought.

Having had them for almost 4 or 5 years, there is only 1 VERY evident tradeoff. If you have any issue with a part, or a battery, or a circuit board or row of leds go out... you'll end up having to buy a new unit, as trying to get anything out these chinese companies is next to impossible... whereas adj or chauvet would do things under warranty, or be able to get you that part or battery. So that $150 price in reality is closer to $200 over time as replacements are bought.
It also seems you needed to do a bit of quality control and final tuning to get them to work right, so there's that too. I don't know about these, but some of the knockoffs also had things like cheaper DMX connections (for wired use), plastic cases (instead of aluminum), and thinner cover material. If you take care to do things gingerly, probably doesn't matter, but rougher use will have those dying quicker.

It also seems you needed to do a bit of quality control and final tuning to get them to work right, so there's that too. I don't know about these, but some of the knockoffs also had things like cheaper DMX connections (for wired use), plastic cases (instead of aluminum), and thinner cover material. If you take care to do things gingerly, probably doesn't matter, but rougher use will have those dying quicker.
Can't say I had the same experience in regards to the second half of what you mentioned... but yeah the abuse def made certain connections loose or shifting led boards. Keep in mind, we're talking over a 4-5 yrs period. I've replaced less than 10 on 40 units... and have to "fix" 2-3 per year. Last week I had two of the little antennas snap somehow (i blame my guys)... but those I found on ebay for $4 each thankfully as I was expecting to have to buy 2 new units as a result

Regarding fitness, time will tell how these 9X18 units hold up. On my Slimpars, I was certain that they'd be getting broken, what with their plastic casing. However, they've held up extremely well. These new units are metal cases and the on/off switch is much harder to accidentally knock on. As long as these are put back into their case I don't anticipate there being any issues.

Regarding fitness, time will tell how these 9X18 units hold up. On my Slimpars, I was certain that they'd be getting broken, what with their plastic casing. However, they've held up extremely well. These new units are metal cases and the on/off switch is much harder to accidentally knock on. As long as these are put back into their case I don't anticipate there being any issues.
The areas that will suffer physically are the internal screws that get lose over time from movement and getting kicked by guests, and the little black antenna on the back getting lost or snapping. At least those are my experiences.

Just emailed the chinese supplier to get 14 of the 9X18 fixtures. I still have my slimpars on Craigslist but all I seem to keep getting are lowball offers at $30/fixture. Not sure at what point it just makes more sense to hang onto them for backup purposes.

Reactions: BlueLineDJ
Did you get the white or black facade?
If you got the white then keep the slimpars to light the facade.

Just emailed the chinese supplier to get 14 of the 9X18 fixtures. I still have my slimpars on Craigslist but all I seem to keep getting are lowball offers at $30/fixture. Not sure at what point it just makes more sense to hang onto them for backup purposes.
Did you go with the charging road case?

Did you go with the charging road case?

No, and I'm hesitating on ordering. I'm going to scrutinize the quote more before placing the order. She had initially quoted me at $104 without wifi. When I caught it the price bumped to $118. I just want to make sure I have everything covered. It's going to cost me $2k to get 14 fixtures in the door.

I have been playing with my 9x18. These are a little different than my others as they have a separate switch for the battery, which needs to be turned on to charge.
After 12 hours:
- Battery switch on, but the unit switch off - 100% Battery
- Unit turned on but no lights on - 95% battery

Going to do the battery with full lights, single color, and "dancing" tests this weekend.

No, and I'm hesitating on ordering. I'm going to scrutinize the quote more before placing the order. She had initially quoted me at $104 without wifi. When I caught it the price bumped to $118. I just want to make sure I have everything covered. It's going to cost me $2k to get 14 fixtures in the door.
It's a good price... and get the case, unless you have a way of transporting them safely and charging them conveniently. Whatever purchases you were thinking of doing, do them before the busy season starts up as you want to showcase a transformed brand. An amazing new uplighting system, a facade, etc create an impressive visual impression. My friend just bought 24 of the same ones as u I believe (rgbawuv) in cases of 8 and he loves them. He took a few pictures at some events he added them on for free, and has already booked 2 weddings with uplighting added on.

Reactions: BlueLineDJ
It's a good price... and get the case, unless you have a way of transporting them safely and charging them conveniently. Whatever purchases you were thinking of doing, do them before the busy season starts up as you want to showcase a transformed brand. An amazing new uplighting system, a facade, etc create an impressive visual impression. My friend just bought 24 of the same ones as u I believe (rgbawuv) in cases of 8 and he loves them. He took a few pictures at some events he added them on for free, and has already booked 2 weddings with uplighting added on.

I'm ordering without the charging case. I already have a 4'X2' flatbed and am looking to add sidewalls and compartments for these fixtures. I'll just connect the fixtures together then drop a pigtail out to land power for charging while I'm at home. I have got to get some good pics of my DJ setup and you're right, this new facade and lighting should make for a much improved impression.