Upgrading my lighting inventory

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

rickryan.com

DJ Extraordinaire
ODJT Supporter
Dec 9, 2009
Hendersonville, TN
www.rickryan.com
Reactions: DJ Bobcat
Could you run a DMX cable out of one of these into your current slipper 56s and have them all synced together?

Could you run a DMX cable out of one of these into your current slipper 56s and have them all synced together?

The Chauvets are not wireless, it would require cabling. You could possibly use the Donner dongles but I think I was that it will not act as a master unit wirelessly. I'm guessing it only has a receiver built in.

Reactions: DJ Bobcat
Wow, I figured these were coming from China and would take a couple of weeks. Just got notice they're expected arrival is Wednesday. Maybe I'll have some side-by-side shots by this weekend.

The problem with buying a few at a time as budget allows is that the inner components change without notice and you'll notice differences in the output, beam spread and color mixing if your fixtures have different DMX boards, diodes or lenses. Also, I don't want to say you're wasting money buying those on eBay, but you need to talk to somebody overseas and buy a bunch all at once.

The problem with buying a few at a time as budget allows is that the inner components change without notice and you'll notice differences in the output, beam spread and color mixing if your fixtures have different DMX boards, diodes or lenses. Also, I don't want to say you're wasting money buying those on eBay, but you need to talk to somebody overseas and buy a bunch all at once.

It's simply not an option to put out that much cash right now.

Reactions: ittigger
It's simply not an option to put out that much cash right now.

Well then save up and then buy a bunch all at once. I've made this mistake before and ended up having to change out the LED panels on two dozen lights just to match the 12 additional lights that I purchased six months later. You don't think it's a big deal until half of your room is pink and the other half is orange despite all of the DMX settings being equal.

Wow, I figured these were coming from China and would take a couple of weeks. Just got notice they're expected arrival is Wednesday. Maybe I'll have some side-by-side shots by this weekend.
On the contrary, the first thing I noticed on that auction page was that they were sold & shipped from the USA.

Brendan experience is similar to one my earlier uplighting experiences... my first uplighting set I ever bought back around 2013 was a total of 24 lights that were bought in incremenets of 8. The first 2 batches were good, but the last 8 that I bought about 6 months or so afterwards from the first set, had a slightly different dimming pattern... what was 75% on one, was slightly different than 75% on another, and therefore when you went to make a pink, the newer batch would look more like a purple. With the newest batch during that time, I switched to a different supplier although the specs and look were exactly the same.

Now, I have bought about 40, along with replacements over time... but have always bought from the same person, and have not had an issue. I'd personally try and buy as many as you can upfront, and purchase from the same guy every time.

Reactions: sonic-vision
Just bought 10 of those, from a supplier in China. It look 3 days for them to arrive.

Taso, I think we'd love to know that seller ID so we can give business to a business with a proven track record.

Reactions: SEDJ
Yeah sorry... was in a meeting so steve once again beat me to it lol. That's the seller I've been buying from for a few years now. I provided that link as that includes a charging case if you buy 10pcs, but you can find smaller amounts from them. It is HEAVY when filled with 10 uplights. The case is about 55lbs... plus 10 lights at 8lbs each... yeah lol

Mine are the 6x18. They were about $105 a piece, shipped.

I thought about the 6X18s and even talked with Taso to get his opinion. He suggested going with the stronger fixtures. I also specifically wanted UV. Are the 6X18s you have RGBAW? Mind sharing a link?

I’d stay away from those 6 led uplights. Those were the style I bought for my first set way back in 2012/13, and they create a much narrower tighter beam angle. I didn’t like them personally and feel they’re more designed for columns rather than walls... or you’ll need more quantity to properly fill a long wall. Supposedly there are some in that style that have different beam angles for you to choose from when ordering, but when I bought them that wasn’t the case.

Ps this is just my opinion, choose the style and price that’s best for you