Upgrades a coming

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

Dan The Man

Administrator
Staff member
ODJT Supporter
Jul 20, 2006
New York
danhutter.com
Hi Folks,

As I mentioned a few months ago XenForo 2.0 was right around the corner. It's been released and stable for about a month now. ODJT will be upgrading later this week. I've tentatively scheduled it for Saturday.

You can view a live 2.0 install at Big Guy Lil World. Check out the new slick thread creation process here (no registration necessary).

My plan is to run a 'vanilla' install of XenForo 2.0 for a bit so we can all get our bearings then add back some of the extensions and tweaks we've made here. Aside from the style we run a fairly vanilla install as it is. The Photo Gallery is an official XenForo addon which will be upgraded along side XF.

Once everything is running smoothly for a bit I'll be installing the style pictured below as our default.

new_odjt_style.png

On a personal note I'm really looking forward to kicking off some of the dust around here and reinvigorating our little corner of the net! :)

Thanks,
Dan

PS: How many people would burn me at the stake for dumping Tapatalk? I'm not like the direction they're heading as far as creating a walled off garden around some of our content. The new style will work great in mobile browsers.

Let me know the moment you do it I despise that app

Reactions: Dan The Man
Me too. :D. You can use your regular browser on your phone/tablet. This style is mobile friendly. The ads blow out the margin for the time being but everything else works.

I tried before I downloaded Tapatalk but I couldn't get it to load on the mobile browser but to be fair I only tried twice and in the same day

Reactions: Dan The Man
PS: How many people would burn me at the stake for dumping Tapatalk? I'm not like the direction they're heading as far as creating a walled off garden around some of our content. The new style will work great in mobile browsers.

I DO use TapaTalk and I like it. I don't like that they change it too frequently... move stuff around and remove features I like, but I mainly use my iPhone to access this forum.

If the new site is Mobile friendly, I suppose I'll adapt.[emoji53]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: ittigger
Me too. :D. You can use your regular browser on your phone/tablet. This style is mobile friendly. The ads blow out the margin for the time being but everything else works.

There IS one feature I'll lose if not using TapaTalk... notifications. TapaTalk notifies me if one of my posts is quoted or liked, and if anyone posts in a thread I'm watching. That's REALLY handy... I don't have to stay connected to ODJT constantly. Yes... I do get similar email notifications from ODJT, but only if I log into that email account... I have like 6-7 email accounts.[emoji1]

Reactions: ittigger
There IS one feature I'll lose if not using TapaTalk... notifications. TapaTalk notifies me if one of my posts is quoted or liked, and if anyone posts in a thread I'm watching. That's REALLY handy... I don't have to stay connected to ODJT constantly. Yes... I do get similar email notifications from ODJT, but only if I log into that email account... I have like 6-7 email accounts.[emoji1]

I couldn't think of who at the time but you're the one I had in mind when thinking about keeping Tapatalk as you have the TaT signature in quite a few of your posts. I don't have any good options for push notification right now. There are some addons that send push notifications through mobile browsers but none seem to be updated for XenForo 2.0.

The simplest solution for the time being is to add an icon for the alerts page (https://ourdjtalk.com/account/alerts) to your home screen. I know it's not as engaging as a push notification but I'll keep an eye out as new addons are released.

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

what happened to the black/blue theme, I really liked it, and its gone, I gots the face.

Sorry Jon. I dumped all the extra styles as part of a pre-upgrade cleanup. The style would have been gone when the upgrade is done anyhow.

Reactions: SEDJ and ittigger
I couldn't think of who at the time but you're the one I had in mind when thinking about keeping Tapatalk as you have the TaT signature in quite a few of your posts. I don't have any good options for push notification right now. There are some addons that send push notifications through mobile browsers but none seem to be updated for XenForo 2.0.

The simplest solution for the time being is to add an icon for the alerts page (https://ourdjtalk.com/account/alerts) to your home screen. I know it's not as engaging as a push notification but I'll keep an eye out as new addons are released.

Sorry Jon. I dumped all the extra styles as part of a pre-upgrade cleanup. The style would have been gone when the upgrade is done anyhow.
Well that sucks, I am gonna be sad for awhile.

Warning. (Well, not so much a warning but as a bit 0' history, Dan)

Mobilebeat went through a change and because of it and the extended non-working, malfunctioning, and user unfriendly changes, that site is virtually a ghost town. DJChat is headed in the same direction, having lost several likable features during its last upgrade.

I know you're a bulldog in getting things right and on track, but I can't help but admonish that if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Warning. (Well, not so much a warning but as a bit 0' history, Dan)

Mobilebeat went through a change and because of it and the extended non-working, malfunctioning, and user unfriendly changes, that site is virtually a ghost town. DJChat is headed in the same direction, having lost several likable features during its last upgrade.

I know you're a bulldog in getting things right and on track, but I can't help but admonish that if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Thanks Cap. I appreciate a bit of history. I wouldn't upgrade just for the sake of upgrading. The upgrade to our current software offers an exciting new framework (fun stuff for additions down the road), new features, and improves some old ones. It's more a less keeping with the times than anything else.

I've been doing some of Ryan's back end stuff for a while now. I'm the one who moved him to XenForo (the current software that both his BBS and ODJT runs). His board was pretty slow before the software change. When I came on board there were remnants of a move from another BBS system to vBulletin. I'm not sure if that's when the downturn happened.

Sid still runs vBulletin. At one point all 3 of us ran vBulletin. For a long while vBulletin was the cat's pajamas. Unfortunately, vBulletin was sold a while back and the latest versions are garbage. The version Sid runs is the last decent release but that only sees security patches here and there.

We moved to XenForo shortly after it was released (vBulletin was a sinking ship), wound up going back to vBulletin briefly due to lack of features with the brand spanking new XF, and finally landed back here on XF after some of the more popular features were implemented.

Well that sucks, I am gonna be sad for awhile.
I'll fix ya up once we're up and running smoothly.

This is still happening. I got busy with other projects. As part of another project I upgraded a similar sized forum to XF 2. It went unbelievably smooth. I'm anticipating a smooth ride for us too. *crosses fingers*

@DJ Bobcat I decided to keep Tapatalk. The push notifications are great for overall user engagement and until there's a viable alternative we'll run TaT.

Frankly, I started actually using TaT to test the other board I upgraded. This morning I woke up to push notifications of a like & reply. I realized how fast it got jumped on versus an email notification which gets filtered to a folder that's primarily ignored.

Last edited:
This is still happening. I got busy with other projects. As part of another project I upgraded a similar sized forum to XF 2. It went unbelievably smooth. I'm anticipating a smooth ride for us too. *crosses fingers*

@DJ Bobcat I decided to keep Tapatalk. The push notifications are great for overall user engagement and until there's a viable alternative we'll run TaT.

Frankly, I started actually using TaT to test the other board I upgraded. This morning I woke up to push notifications of a like & reply. I realized how fast it got jumped on versus an email notification which gets filtered to a folder that's primarily ignored.

Thanks DAN![emoji4] I REALLY appreciate it![emoji4]