Updates to SoundSwitch

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

Albatross

DJ Extraordinaire
ODJT Supporter
Sep 7, 2016
SoundSwitch recently release version 1.4 with some really cool improvements that I'm excited about.

1) Quick auto shows. - If you don't want to spend a lot of time, SoundSwitch will analyze the song for you quickly and apply a show based on impact points of the music itself. And then you can go back through and fine tune if you want to and override any of the auto program. I'm really excited to be able to apply a basic program to more of my tunes, and then fine tune what I want the lights to do.

2) Midi Triggered Programs - This is what I'm most excited about. This will allow you to create a bank of ready to go programs, that can be triggered instantly to override whatever is on the track. You can use any midi controller - but I'm ordering a Midi Fighter 3D (DJ TechTools - Midi Fighter 3D) which will be how I launch different components. (I also am excited about playing with some advanced finger drumming, but that's more just for me).

3) They also are introducing color overrides to allow you to take control with a push of a button. I haven't seen how this works yet whether you can set it to hold, or if you actually have to hold the color override open to keep the color. But for sing along parts, it might be cool to be able to flash the room white, or something along with a tune.

Video of the release is here... but this software keeps getting better. And I love the pace of the innovation. They seem to be really listening to what DJs need.

I'd still be interested in seeing one of your actual gigs or setups with soundswitch running. The demos videos are nice, but I'm still not sold.

I'd still be interested in seeing one of your actual gigs or setups with soundswitch running. The demos videos are nice, but I'm still not sold.

I have a couple that I've posted. Both of these are SoundSwitch running the lights:

In the first one, you see my auto program running for the Irish dancers. I have mine set to just color fade if I don't have anything built into the song already. In the DAR video, I have it set to doing some simple color fades. And then if you're really paying attention, there are a couple of timing issues near the end of the video where the color changes aren't happing as I'd want them to. It's the result of sloppy programming on my end that I've gone back and cleaned up.

I'm getting more experience running the new movers on SoundSwitch. This only took about 2 minutes to program. It's the autoscript feature, and then I changed the breakdown to the red strobe sequence:

thats really cool!!! ive been keeping my eye on this software as well....

cc

It's not perfect (what is?) but I'm really enjoying it. The midi access is SUPER cool for being able to add some flare while in the mix. For example... I can map a bright white blinder look, or strobes, or UV to any midi button. I've personally been using the sampler pads because I rarely use them during mobile gigs. So for any sing along section I can quickly hit the white out button and get the blinder look to encourage the crowd more.

You can also do static looks. So for this homecoming I'm working on, I'm going to have a few static looks built for introducing the homecoming court and for the dance. Easy recall like you would get with other DMX software - but the rest of the time it just runs itself.

It's like having a lighting guy running your system at all times, but not having to pay one.

It's not perfect (what is?) but I'm really enjoying it. The midi access is SUPER cool for being able to add some flare while in the mix. For example... I can map a bright white blinder look, or strobes, or UV to any midi button. I've personally been using the sampler pads because I rarely use them during mobile gigs. So for any sing along section I can quickly hit the white out button and get the blinder look to encourage the crowd more.

You can also do static looks. So for this homecoming I'm working on, I'm going to have a few static looks built for introducing the homecoming court and for the dance. Easy recall like you would get with other DMX software - but the rest of the time it just runs itself.

It's like having a lighting guy running your system at all times, but not having to pay one.

let me ask you...

my personal preference is to create scenes with complimentary colors....lets say i name a seen my "HULK" scene... its got a green wash with the movers pushing a purple gobo around the room.... another might be name "COPS" it has blue and red ...and so on and so on....is there a way to set up those scenes and then just let it do its thing....running thru preset scenes?

ideally id like to be able to have predetermined high energy scenes in one bank...and more mellow scenes (say for R&B) in another bank....maybe slow songs in a another....etc.... thats how i have my obey 70 set up and love it...

cc

Reactions: ittigger
let me ask you...

my personal preference is to create scenes with complimentary colors....lets say i name a seen my "HULK" scene... its got a green wash with the movers pushing a purple gobo around the room.... another might be name "COPS" it has blue and red ...and so on and so on....is there a way to set up those scenes and then just let it do its thing....running thru preset scenes?

ideally id like to be able to have predetermined high energy scenes in one bank...and more mellow scenes (say for R&B) in another bank....maybe slow songs in a another....etc.... thats how i have my obey 70 set up and love it...

cc

There are a couple ways to do programming.

Auto-scripts are what run anytime a song doesn't have a specific show. So those can be exactly what you're talking about, sets of colors you like together. They are beat grid specific. So an autoscript might be 8 beats, or 16 beats. You can make them longer if you want. Because they snap to the beat grid, they will run faster or slower with the speed of the song you're playing. So your energy should correspond with the song automatically in a way.

The other way to program is song specific. You can take your top tracks and add a script so that the show will run back exactly as you programmed it each time. What you see in that video above is song specific so that I have the red strobe go off in the breakdown. That will happen every time I play the song until I change it. It's obviously a lot more work to program each song, but they have tools in place to expedite the process.

There are a couple ways to do programming.

Auto-scripts are what run anytime a song doesn't have a specific show. So those can be exactly what you're talking about, sets of colors you like together. They are beat grid specific. So an autoscript might be 8 beats, or 16 beats. You can make them longer if you want. Because they snap to the beat grid, they will run faster or slower with the speed of the song you're playing. So your energy should correspond with the song automatically in a way.

The other way to program is song specific. You can take your top tracks and add a script so that the show will run back exactly as you programmed it each time. What you see in that video above is song specific so that I have the red strobe go off in the breakdown. That will happen every time I play the song until I change it. It's obviously a lot more work to program each song, but they have tools in place to expedite the process.

very very cool...thanks for that info!

cc

I'll just keep this zombie going with the continued updates. They just added some stuff that really makes moving heads easier to work with. There are still a few quicks that I wish they'd knock out... but the pace of additions are great!