Trailer ramp extension

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

Ron

DJ Extraordinaire
Jun 14, 2011
Charleston, South Carolina
www.rcbaudio.com
So over the holiday break I have a number of projects I have completed. Remodeling the 1/2 bath (new walls, trim, and toilet replacement) about 90% done. Re-enforcing the new handles on my Rock n Roller to help prevent them from bending... done. It seems after about 2 years I have to replace the handles from them being bent over time being pulled up wheelchair ramps, etc.. And lastly (which is ironic because it was the first project I completed over the break)... is building a ramp extension for my cargo trailer. I could have purchases one; but I wanted to make my own and believed I could it cheaper than purchasing one outright. Total cost was about $86 I already had the ply wood, screws, & pop rivets on hand. Only had to purchase the stamped aluminum (Lowe's) and piano hinge (Amazon). I think it turned out pretty good considering I never built one before. (photos attached).
2017-12-22 12.36.01-1.jpg 2017-12-22 12.36.02 HDR.jpg 2017-12-22 12.36.12.jpg

Your ramp will make life easier. I painted my floor and ramp with a slip resistant floor paint. Not as important for as you live in a warmer climate.

Reactions: ittigger and Ron
Sometime, the skill is there and then goes away. Other times there's none, and then all of a sudden, it appears.

Me? I had the skills. Now, I look at a power tool and my hands start to bleed on their own while my smart phone auto-dials 911. The picture above is at least 11 years old; back when I had da skillz.

My "building" skills have improved greatly since I bought a house.
Of course, that was 30-years ago, so I must have learned SOMETHING useful in three decades.
My problem is TIME.
If it's the weekend, I usually have plans.
If I don't have plans on the weekend, it's too friggin' cold!

I'm in NEED of a good project![emoji1] Unfortunately, this winter weather is simply too cold to do anything outside of the house... that includes anything that needs to be fabricated in the garage.[emoji4]

I have a couple of things in progress, though. The hanging light fixture in my dining room is looking really outdated. So I'm making one. It does require a little cutting on the miter saw, but I can do a few cuts at a time, then go inside and hot glue the pieces on the new fixture. I won't freeze to death if I'm only out there for a few minutes at a time.

Then there's painting... Need to repaint my living room. Gonna take some effort because the ceiling is 14 feet high in places. I don't have scaffolding, so it will mean climbing a ladder over and over again, and it's a VERY large room. The good news is; no deadline, so I can take as long as I like. [emoji4]

Finally, I have a bigger technology project that sounds like more fun and less manual labor. [emoji1] I'm gonna split my large rack up into two smaller racks. Then I'm going to use my current DJ rack to replace the 24U server rack that holds my home servers. That means I'll need to replace a couple of my 3U servers with smaller servers, but I'll put larger disk drives in them. This project should take me a couple of months. It could cost me a few thousand dollars. I speced out the parts for a server and figured it will cost about $900 to build what I want. I haven't found any prebuilt servers for anywhere close to that, so it looks like building them is going to be my best choice.[emoji4] While I'm rebuilding my large rack system in two smaller racks, I'm also going to look into using a touch screen tablet or AIO computer in place of a controller. Not sure how that's gonna work out?[emoji4]

Lots to do... lots to think about... lots to shop for.[emoji1]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: ittigger
I'm in NEED of a good project![emoji1] Unfortunately, this winter weather is simply too cold to do anything outside of the house... that includes anything that needs to be fabricated in the garage.[emoji4]

I have a couple of things in progress, though. The hanging light fixture in my dining room is looking really outdated. So I'm making one. It does require a little cutting on the miter saw, but I can do a few cuts at a time, then go inside and hot glue the pieces on the new fixture. I won't freeze to death if I'm only out there for a few minutes at a time.

Then there's painting... Need to repaint my living room. Gonna take some effort because the ceiling is 14 feet high in places. I don't have scaffolding, so it will mean climbing a ladder over and over again, and it's a VERY large room. The good news is; no deadline, so I can take as long as I like. [emoji4]

Finally, I have a bigger technology project that sounds like more fun and less manual labor. [emoji1] I'm gonna split my large rack up into two smaller racks. Then I'm going to use my current DJ rack to replace the 24U server rack that holds my home servers. That means I'll need to replace a couple of my 3U servers with smaller servers, but I'll put larger disk drives in them. This project should take me a couple of months. It could cost me a few thousand dollars. I speced out the parts for a server and figured it will cost about $900 to build what I want. I haven't found any prebuilt servers for anywhere close to that, so it looks like building them is going to be my best choice.[emoji4] While I'm rebuilding my large rack system in two smaller racks, I'm also going to look into using a touch screen tablet or AIO computer in place of a controller. Not sure how that's gonna work out?[emoji4]

Lots to do... lots to think about... lots to shop for.[emoji1]

You can rent scaffolding at Home Depot pretty cheaply Interior Scaffold

You can rent scaffolding at Home Depot pretty cheaply Interior Scaffold

Thanks... I'll check that out... might be doable? When I was a kid, my dad was a paint contractor. During the summers, I was a painter's helper... often helping the spray painters by cleaning spray guns and other gear, and moving scaffolding. I've erected plenty of scaffolding in my day, but it's much more difficult to do it alone; especially when you're OLD![emoji1] Not gonna do anything to kill myself just to paint a room.[emoji1] Although, falling off of a ladder would probably leave a mark.[emoji1]

The aluminum was unnecessary. It added weight and cost to a project that didn't need it. You have a nice aluminum fold out extension on a door that is just plywood. Looks good but you spent more then you needed. After all who's gonna see it?

Reviving OLD threads @oldschool?[emoji1] I'm reading back through this thread and hardly remember posting in it.[emoji1] Never got that Living Room painted... Maybe this coming winter?[emoji1]... I did finally finish the mods to my Large DJ System.[emoji1]... Replacing my controller with a touch-screen AIO PC???... That didn't happen either... Well, Mix's partner did it, but I didn't.[emoji1]

Reviving OLD threads @oldschool?[emoji1] I'm reading back through this thread and hardly remember posting in it.[emoji1] Never got that Living Room painted... Maybe this coming winter?[emoji1]... I did finally finish the mods to my Large DJ System.[emoji1]... Replacing my controller with a touch-screen AIO PC???... That didn't happen either... Well, Mix's partner did it, but I didn't.[emoji1]

I meant to ask if you stocked up on smiley emojis at Costco? :D