Top 40 Song Lists by Year

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
I pinned this thread I'm sure someone will be looking again in time. Thanks Steve

Reactions: DjDennis and BryanK
No client has ever asked me for that type of a list; but they provided a list to me and suggested that I play from that listing.

Reactions: BryanK
Interesting - The number ones chart by year has Billie Jean at number on in 1980. Billboard has it at number one in January of '83. So much for accuracy :)

http://www.top40charts.net/index.php?page=number-ones-by-year
Billboard doesn't do the "Top 40" charts .. that belongs to American Top 40 (the second link post). Billboard does the Hot 100. They're all based on different criteria. The ones I linked first are compilations from a few sources.

Billboard doesn't do the "Top 40" charts .. that belongs to American Top 40 (the second link post). Billboard does the Hot 100. They're all based on different criteria. The ones I linked first are compilations from a few sources.

I guess so - plenty of floor killers in there.

I guess so - plenty of floor killers in there.
Top 40 doesn't always mean dance tune. Some of the greatest songs of all time suck to dance to.

That list was a big help Steve, thank you. Since switching to VDJ, I'm finding that my old method of picking songs (depending on play counts that I'd developed in winamp) doesn't cut it. Been needing to re-work this area for a while. At present, I'm developing some cheat sheets that line out good floor-workers for various age brackets. For the next month, it's several proms and a couple of mitzvahs. In August, I've got a class of 1965 reunion that'll be off the beaten path. I'm gonna have to bone up on that one.

I have done several 50 year class reunions and I have found that if you look at the popular music from their junior high grades through HS and college then select 80% of your music from those years, they will be happy. Of course you will still have to throw in the line dances as many of the older ladies love to dance to those songs, a few disco area and country line dance or two step.

I try to use upbeat music from their era that was popular but not so much the dance music, (songs like Sugar Sugar by the Archies comes to mind) for the social hour. All of them I have done want no music during dinner, they just want to talk, and they usually run over on dinner and remembering those that are gone, so you end up with an hour and a half of dance time before they have to be back to the Nursing Home :)

Love to do the 50 year reunions as I used to specialize in sock hops when I DJed in the 1980's, nobody has those dances anymore and the 1950 music was wonderful.

Call me old fashioned, but it's called a book!

http://www.amazon.com/Billboard-Boo...335&sr=8-11&keywords=billboard+book+of+top+40

Billie Jean wasn't released until November of '82 so there's no way it could have been number one in 1980.

What the heck is a "book"?

And you are correct, it seems to be a typo as it shows up as number 2 in 1983's chart as well, which is where it should be (released Jan '83 as a single).

I have a copy of the Top 40 "book" (LOL)... I've had several, because of course they are already out of date when you buy them.

The way the book works is it shows the date the song debuted in the Top 40, not the release date. Billy Jean debuted in the Top 40 on 1/29/83, eventually reaching the #1 position and holding it for 7 weeks. The song was on the charts for 17 weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: Jeff Romard and Jas
Thanks Bobcat. What I meant was the Thriller album was released in November of '82.

Reactions: DJ Bobcat
Thanks Bobcat. What I meant was the Thriller album was released in November of '82.
That makes sense... It is a little surprising it took so long for Billy Jean to make it to the Top 40 though; isn't it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That makes sense... It is a little surprising it took so long for Billy Jean to make it to the Top 40 though; isn't it?

Billie Jean was actually the second release from the album The girl is mine was the first release. If I recall the story correctly they thought Billie Jean was a better lead single but chose the Girl because Paul McCartney was on the track and had a better chance of getting airplay and especially MTV play. Billie Jean was released in early Jan 83

I have several editions of this book. It begins when the Top 40 music charts were first created (1950+). There have been many revisions throughout the decades.