Too much bass might damage controller?

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

TES3S

DJ Extraordinaire
Sep 18, 2016
This is a serious question. Has anyone taken a look inside to see how most modern controllers are made? Do I need to be worried?

I use the Pioneer SR, and was nearly panicking the other night watching the plastic buttons nearly pop out of the controller. I can just imagine something inside comes lose and I am down.

I always put my subs under the table, and really don't want to move away from that...

Components, like anything else, are always subject to vibration issues. If it is an issue, you can move the subs out further away from you.

Reactions: DJ Bobcat
Ya, I don't really want to move them from under the table. Funny thing is the subs come nowhere close to touching the table, but just the vibration causes the controller to go nuts at louder volumes.

I wonder if the inside components are moving around, or it's just the plastic button jumping out.

See .. if ALTO made a controller, you wouldn't have any issues ... :sick:

The inside of a controller is mostly electronic circuit boards. The vibration from the subs may not do much if any harm, but if it caused the circuit boards to flex, the fatigue could cause breaks in the printed circuitry. It's kinda of a long shot IMO, but it's possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: ittigger
And the only ways to really resolve it are to either try to cushion the controller, turn down the bass or move the subs away. Vibration is caused by the air pressure from the subs. They don't have to touch the table to make it vibrate. The floor material also plays into this. On concrete, you may not notice as much vibration.

See .. if ALTO made a controller, you wouldn't have any issues ... :sick:

Alto makes Mixers, and I absolutely LOVE my ZMX802. That mixer is super quiet, and has only given my Outstanding performance when I use it at wedding ceremonies. Best $80 Mixer EVER! :)

Controllers shouldn't have buttons popping out because of Bass. That is concerning for it being a Pioneer.

Reactions: Valerie Hicks
I agree. It should not be happening.

I can't be the only one with subs under the table for weddings noticing this.

I used to run my sub under the table a lot when I had a Single QSC 181, and I never had any controller issues. With the Evox system it's no longer right under my table on my normal rig. But I did DJ a prom this past weekend and had two Dual-18 BassBoss subs right in front of me which are RIDICULOUS loud, and the SZ was fine all night. I don't know much about the build quality on the SR though.

I had subs under the table many times. As long as the sub is not touching the table, their should not be any vibrations that make it to the table.

Reactions: Albatross
vibrations can cause issues over time, but it's really sort of rare imo. The biggest risk should be vibrations 'walking' something off a table/surface. There is no reason for knobs to be bulging or falling off, that is a little concerning. We run 24 18's in our system with the controls in the middle-12 subs on each side. Our oldest light board is an NSI 7532 that is over 20 years old (gosh it's actually probably closer to 30 now that I think about it) and still being used flawlessly in that system. That would I think be the oldest electronics in close proximity to subs. We also have amps and processing in racks directly behind one stack of subs that have been in service just as long; crossovers, eqs, amps.... The wavelength of a bass note shouldn't really physically stress components more than rolling the rack down a sidewalk or riding in a spring or torsion suspension trailer.

The controller is 3 years old. I started noticing this at louder volumes since I have been placing my subs under the table.

I never said knobs were falling off. It's the little hard palstic buttons that look like they are jumping out on had bass notes.

Again, it's fine if I move them even a couple feet away in front of table, but as soon as I get it under, that's the problem, and it's only at loud volumes.

Ross, it is possible not all Pioneer controllers are built the same, and having heard the KW181 many times, it is somewhat similar to a pair of F1 subs, with the F1 taking the edge.

I had to change cross fader on my ddj sr here is a pic of the back ,which i had to open to get to the fader .i know pic sucks lol. I took it for someone else who also had to change fader.Hope it helps, by the way the SZ is a beast and is also a lil heavier.20180318_112639.jpg20180318_112639.jpg

wish I could see the front to see how the buttons are connected to boards.

as I mentioned, dual subs under the table is a relatively new thing.

Got it - so it could have been a persistent issue - just not noticed until recently. Typically the buttons are just pieces of plastic that fit into their cutout spaces on the top. The underneath of the button (the actual button) is soldered to the circuit board.

Is it possible for you to video what you're seeing?

no, it only started when I put dual subs under the table. Didn't happen before.