To Alto or not to Alto....that is the question

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

scgstuff

DJ Extraordinaire
Jun 30, 2017
Central Texas
garrisentertainment.com
I know I will get almost as many opinions as a person asking what brand of oil is best in a motorcycle.... and I have seen much commentary on this in the past, but am now in a place where I am comparing everything I have heard and trying to figure it out.....

I can get 2 TS212 12" mains, 2 TS215S 15" subs, 2 sub poles, 2 speaker stands, covers for all speakers and the stands for ~$1600
or....
I can get 2 QSC 12.2 12" mains with bags for ~$1800

I like the look of the pole mounted mains on subs instead of stands, but am not sure how 2 12" mains and 2 15" subs from Alto compare to the 2 12" mains from QSC. Rebekah just booked a Friday/Saturday gig every week starting in 2 weeks, so we need an additional sound system (and another DJ, which we are working on as well...). I want a better quality system when I buy it and use the current one in her new gig. We currently have 2 Harbinger V2115 15" mains and 2 Yorkville YX18SP 18" subs. I am thinking the Altos could put that to shame, listening to some people's posts. But not positive.

Wanted to stay under $1500 for speakers....trying to not stretch too much farther...I like my bed more then the sofa and hope to sleep there. We already have controllers, have old mixers but looking for a newer one and have wireless mics for the new gig.

So, flame away....we have Harbingers and looking at Altos....would just the 2 QSCs be better then the Alto package? Don't have any place in the area to listen to the speakers.

I own those subs. They don't thunder like my LS801ps did, but these Altos are more than enough for 95% of my gigs. Being totally transparent, my only reservation about the Altos is the unknown; how long will they hold up? So far, my subs are performing very well and no complaints. I've heard the tops and they have a lot of air to them, much like my older QSC K10s. Now I'm planning on upgrading my K10s to K12.2 this season. Not sure why I'm not going with Altos, call it the nervous factor. Personally, I think that Alto rig you put together is going to be great and I'll always take subs over no subs. Please let us know what you do and what you think about it.

I used a pair of Alto TSSUB15's with TS112W's (for the first year) and with TS110A's (for two years). In the three years I used them, I never had a single problem with them, and they looked and sounded like brand new when I sold them back to GC. I've downsized to EVOX8's, but only because of the weight, because honestly, the RCF's don't sound that much better than my Altos... certainly not 3 times (the price) better.[emoji4]

I don't have any regrets about selling my Altos, but I DO miss them. Not sure if that's weird?[emoji1] My Altos helped me get my DJ business going, and helped me make enough money to buy the RCF's.[emoji4]

Just buy the Altos. If you or the other DJ sees the limiter light lighting up like crazy back off on the gain. I'm happy with all of mine.

Also, you did not say how big this gig is going to be? Is it just a bar gig? If so, Altos are certainly fine. ...If we are talking like 300+ guests every gig, well, I might say go with K12.2 as they are sure to have a bit more throw than the Altos.

I enjoy having light weight, clear sounding speakers at all my gigs.

Reactions: MIXMASTERMACHOM
Just buy the Altos. If you or the other DJ sees the limiter light lighting up like crazy back off on the gain. I'm happy with all of mine.

Also, you did not say how big this gig is going to be? Is it just a bar gig? If so, Altos are certainly fine. ...If we are talking like 300+ guests every gig, well, I might say go with K12.2 as they are sure to have a bit more throw than the Altos.

I enjoy having light weight, clear sounding speakers at all my gigs.
The new speakers will be for our main system for weddings and Sweet 16s. The current system will be for a teen night at a a new place in the area on Fridays and Saturdays. More details after the contract is done.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Don't compare cost to cost. Compare quality to quality and quality with desired outcome, length of service, performance and other requirements, maintenance, etc - with the financial side as a consideration. Always remember Rule #1: You Get What You Pay For.

While there is an initial financial difference and impact between $1500 and $2000 (example only), if this equipment is in service for over 10 years, this works out to a $5/mo difference. Step up to a $3000 system and that's a $15 difference. The same amounts over 5 years - $1500 is $10/mo and $3000 is $30/mo.

Last edited:
Just say no .. to Alto .. :)

If you could stretch to $1750, I would recommend the new RCF EVOX J8 .. available (at least at kpodj) for $880 each. Essentially the same as my EVOX 8 with a molded enclosure. Or get 1 J8 and 1 JMix8 if you need the full mixer panel.

At this point in time, I would not consider any equipment's cost based on a 10 year cycle. A lot can happen in 10 years, and for all we know DJ's COULD be finished with in 10 years. My brother doesn't even see himself deejaying 10 years down the road in any more than a once in a blue moon part time capacity because he just feels that things will change more, and his demand will decline in the changing market...especially since he will be in his mid 50s at that point. He think's he has 6 years left tops....

With me, if things are going strong, and I'm making very good money say 5 or 6 years down the road, I will want to renew to the new speakers that are available in 5 to 6 years. What is current now will be the old models maybe not even available for sale at retailers 5 or 6 years from now. I would base speaker costs based on a 4 to 5 year cycle...maybe 6, but not 10. Just my opinion.

Reactions: DJ Bobcat
At this point in time, I would not consider any equipment's cost based on a 10 year cycle. A lot can happen in 10 years, and for all we know DJ's COULD be finished with in 10 years. My brother doesn't even see himself deejaying 10 years down the road in any more than a once in a blue moon part time capacity because he just feels that things will change more, and his demand will decline in the changing market...especially since he will be in his mid 50s at that point. He think's he has 6 years left tops....

With me, if things are going strong, and I'm making very good money say 5 or 6 years down the road, I will want to renew to the new speakers that are available in 5 to 6 years. What is current now will be the old models maybe not even available for sale at retailers 5 or 6 years from now. I would base speaker costs based on a 4 to 5 year cycle...maybe 6, but not 10. Just my opinion.

Don't compare cost to cost. Compare quality to quality and quality with desired outcome, length of service, performance and other requirements, maintenance, etc - with the financial side as a consideration. Always remember Rule #1: You Get What You Pay For.

While there is an initial financial difference and impact between $1500 and $2000 (example only), if this equipment is in service for over 10 years, this works out to a $5/mo difference. Step up to a $3000 system and that's a $15 difference. The same amounts over 5 years - $1500 is $10/mo and $3000 is $30/mo.

Make it 5 then and double the numbers Tigger said...Still not a lot of money. Better yet do it on a per gig basis you said in the other thread you do about 50 a year so 5 years is 250 gigs or about $6/use on $1500 $8/use on $2000 or $12/use on a $3000 speaker setup

Unless you bought new speakers this year, then in 5-6 years, they'll be older than 5-6 and maybe closer to 10, which means that while you might not consider a 10 year life cycle, that's what you're using. Regardless, I provided both 5 and 10 year increments. Unless you're swapping out equipment yearly, the numbers aren't drastically changing.

Unless you bought new speakers this year, then in 5-6 years, they'll be older than 5-6 and maybe closer to 10, which means that while you might not consider a 10 year life cycle, that's what you're using. Regardless, I provided both 5 and 10 year increments. Unless you're swapping out equipment yearly, the numbers aren't drastically changing.

Agreed. Looking into the future, per gig is tougher to calculate, and varies between DJs and their frequency of bookings, BUT yeah, when factored in over time, the difference is generally small. It then comes down to whether or not the buyer wants to pay those costs up front. ...If not, then a payment plan (if available) to the buyer may also be the better option on the higher priced gear.

Reactions: ittigger
I understand about the long term investment aspect. Trying to stick to a reasonable budget. Rebekah will be leaving for college in August and likely moving away, so we will be trying to find other help or I will be doing it myself. Not sure timewise how much longer we will be doing this if/when she leaves, but for the time being, we need additional equipment. Just don't want to put so much money in we don't get a return on the investment. I know the resale for used QSCs is higher then the Altos, but the return will be here quicker with the Altos and possibly not need to sell the speakers so she can have them when she is back from school or during the summers. I know we have 2 events booked for 2019 already and others after she leaves in August, and we will at least fulfill those contracts.

By the same token, if you invest in better equipment, then she will also have that when she returns. You'd be in a better position.

I want a better quality system when I buy it and use the current one in her new gig. We currently have 2 Harbinger V2115 15" mains and 2 Yorkville YX18SP 18" subs. I am thinking the Altos could put that to shame, listening to some people's posts. But not positive.
While I'm pretty sure the TS212 tops will be better than the Harbinger's, I'd doubt the 15" Alto subs are better than the 18" Yorkville's

Reactions: DJ TJ and ittigger
I can get 2 TS212 12" mains, 2 TS215S 15" subs, 2 sub poles, 2 speaker stands, covers for all speakers and the stands for ~$1600
or....
I can get 2 QSC 12.2 12" mains with bags for ~$1800

I'm wondering why you narrowed it down to those two choices. Alto is a low priced speaker while QSC is priced higher than most mid level speakers. It seems there are many options somewhere in between those two. I would definitely upgrade the Harbingers even if it's with Altos.

From a price perspective, the Yamaha DBR series sounds pretty good and I would choose them over the Alto. The built-in mixer is limited, but they sound good for the $$s. You can get the 10" for $320 and the 12" for $390. The RCF HD10a is also pretty good at $410.

I'm wondering why you narrowed it down to those two choices. Alto is a low priced speaker while QSC is priced higher than most mid level speakers. It seems there are many options somewhere in between those two. I would definitely upgrade the Harbingers even if it's with Altos.
I have been interested in the QSCs after seeing the reviews, but trying to stay around the $1500 mark and that is the package I found with the Altos with the 2 subs and 2 tops. Wondered about some of the other speakers like the column style systems.

I've been very happy with my DBR12s. I'm still using a Carvin 18" active subwoofer. Does the job for me.

I would also recommend the Yamaha DBR line as well. I like those a lot. Pretty close to the Altos in sound quality. They have a 7 year warranty which is a plus over the Alto 1 year. However, Yamaha Subs cost considerably more than Alto Subs, and the Yamaha Subs weigh a good bit more. It would look weird having Yamaha speakers, and Alto Subs. I would prefer the lighter weight subs, and Alto Subs sound great and punchy. I'd be fine with all Altos myself, but that is what I use so I'm partial to them.

I like the RCF subs .. 702, 705 .. they are fairly light and perform fairly well. A single one with a pair of 10" tops would make a fine mobile rig.