This might be the column array we have been waiting for

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
Thanks, the one from CSL look pefect, but just realized that wouldn't work b/c it's the same size as the female side of the pole mount since it's made to be "put on" a speaker stand.

I am looking for something just like that but to be inserted into the speaker, as a pole or stand would.

Does this exist?
Check the hole size. I have one of the 1.5" CSL mounts, which goes over a 1 3/8" tube. They make a 1 3/8" version which goes over a smaller tube, but should also fit into many speaker top hats.

Check the hole size. I have one of the 1.5" CSL mounts, which goes over a 1 3/8" tube. They make a 1 3/8" version which goes over a smaller tube, but should also fit into many speaker top hats.

Just called them...

The ones they make are too big or the same size ad the female tub on the speaker. It needs to be exactly the same size as a speaker stand pole as it is going into the speaker.

They said they would custom make it for me. Now, that’s customer service!!

Now that I can add a light on top in an elegant way, i can consider these even more.

Thanks Steve for pointing me in the right direction.

Reactions: steve149
they make it in white, has anyone here purchased white speakers. Seems cool in theory, but mike look like crap in two years, if that.

Wonder what white looks like when scratched.

they make it in white, has anyone here purchased white speakers. Seems cool in theory, but mike look like crap in two years, if that.

Wonder what white looks like when scratched.

Good question, and an equally good question is; can they be touched up with a little paint? I’ve touched up dings and scratches on my black speakers and it doesn’t show at all. I wonder if it’s possible to do the same with white speakers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think I will stick with black just to play it safe. I really dislike the pole sub look and they make a dummy speaker enclosure that takes the place of the speaker pole so it looks cleaner. Unfortunately, they are $250 a piece, which drives the cost up a little.

So it's about $2,600 delivered for just one of these babies. Time to sell the BOSE.

Am I supposed to inquire them via email since they are in Germany? I'd imagine shipping to be insane.

Am I supposed to inquire them via email since they are in Germany? I'd imagine shipping to be insane.
That is their US site .. the pricing should be in US $ and they have a flat shipping charge of $34 up to 68 pounds .. Over that and it's calculated.

Last edited:
well in that case, their pricing is unbelievable and tells me how much these things are marked up. It is far cheaper than anywhere I got quoted! I got all excited and went to order and it won't ship to US as you can see in the screenshot.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-11-28 at 2.57.47 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-11-28 at 2.57.47 PM.png
    19.4 KB · Views: 13
Reactions: steve149
well in that case, their pricing is unbelievable and tells me how much these things are marked up. It is far cheaper than anywhere I got quoted! I got all excited and went to order and it won't ship to US as you can see in the screenshot.
Oh well .. that should be noted when you select US ..

I have arranged to rent one ES1203 for two gigs in the next two weeks. I will report back and give my honest thoughts.

Luckily, my company is coordinating them and I can show up super early and do a comparison to my Bose L1+B1+F1 combo at the venue. I can only rent one, so it's going to not be perfect aesthetically for the events (different systems L, R) but I will be able to spread them 30 feet apart...

It's also with the sub pole which I really hate and I would absolutely get the designer pole accessory which as mentioned is a dummy speaker so I don't have to use the ugly poles.

Price for a pair is $4,840. I don't think I can get it cheaper.

Super excited though! Hopefully, I am not let down as it will be my first purchase for next year's tax write off.

Something also tells me there will be a Model 3, and I will be all upset after purchasing the DB.

Testing complete! I was pretty surprised by the results. Full details ahead.

To the point--I am selling the BOSE, but the DB is not really that much of an upgrade, and more of a sideways step (sound wise) with a lot less to set up and better flexibility, and in some situations, just not as good, especially in terms of overall tone. Go BOSE!

In summary, the DB tech had the upper mid-bass that the L1 did not, but that is only b/c I was running a B1, and not B2 to get that better upper mid-bass. With a B2, it's a different game BUT it takes up even MORE room, so ain't going to happen here, and that's that... The whole point is downsizing.

Anyhow, The F1 sub provided really good results from about 35-70 Hertz that outran the DB-Tech in the lower region by a long shot, and that is why almost immediately the BOSE sounded so much nicer to listen to. It was no contest for the first few songs. In just sound quality and tone, the BOSE was a lot nicer to listen to. The DB Tech almost sounded compressed when A/Bing back and forth.

With the DB Tech, I am giving up some deep bass (provided from F1) for a little more output everywhere above 60 Hertz, and when you are 75 feet away, the super low end doesn't carry anyhow, which is why at max volume, and standing as far as I would ever be in a reception, the DB Tech carried b/c overall output, b/c more mid-bass.

At low to medium levels, the BOSE absolutely wins, in every situation. The lack of less mid-bass is not noticed or missed up close, and the F1s do awesome at closer distances. The F1 subs, when paired with the L1 make a super sweet combo. The other person I was listening with smiled much more when jumping back to the BOSE bc the BOSE sounded so much fuller down below, sounding much more like 18" sub was running. It was good!

BUT, but the further your getaway, the less the F1s sub shined. They lose their super low-end that make them sound so good up close, and the OK upper mid-bass is not as strong as the DB-Tech. That's why I say, with a B2 +F1, the mid-bass would have been better on the BOSE, if not louder than the DB, and then, up close the F1 stomps on the DB Tech b/c of how much lower it goes. Bose L1 with B2 + F1 Sub=Killer system, but just too many pieces.

In summary, Bose (when running the F1) is better for intimate events, and the DB Tech is a more powerful system that will "throw" sound further.

For the hell of it, I ran the F1 sub with the DB Tech (just that combo) to see if I can fill in the low-end the DB-Tech is missing... Interestingly enough, the F1 sub had a hard time keeping up with the more pronounced mid-bass and mids/highs found on the DB Tech. I was not super impressed by the F1s compared to when matched with the L1 system. I suspect b/c the overall output pushed to its max (clipping output on DB Tech) is louder, the F1 sub just doesn't keep up as well.

At lower volumes, it's okay and more balanced, but once you walk 75 feet away, the F1s low-end falls off. I am going to assume this is b/c of the small size (10" woofers) that are not going to compare to what an 18" sub would do at far distances. The DB Tech needs an 18" under it to hang with it. I am sure a pair of F1s would do, but 18" is still probably the smarter choice.

I am a little sad that I will be letting the BOSE go. It just sounds better and has a more true low end (60 and below). I will have to get used to NOT having that low-end in trade for more output. I hope I don't regret my decision.

Also, after hearing the EV Evolve 50, it doesn't even compare to either, unless portability is the only factor.

This was a really good test showing that SPL numbers don't mean much in the real world. 132db vs 121db (L1) but 131 from F1 though, so hard to know where the L1 + F1 stands regadrding true max SPL.

Last edited:
ya, it's definitely NOT a significant upgrade. I thought the BOSE would stand no chance, and not only did they hang in there, up close it sounded a lot nicer.

The Bose, even though is more pieces, still looks nicer with the array going all the way to the bottom, and in person, the array radiator sticks are so small (compared to the DB).

Last edited:
Reactions: ittigger
I still think the Bose L1 M2 look great, and are probably the nicest overall looking column speaker. But I can get 2 RCF EVOX J8 for less money than a single Model II and be ahead of the game. Not as much a fan of the aesthetics of the J8 though .. wish they were closer to the standard EVOX 8.

I guess it depends on what you called ahead of the game... Ya, the Bose gear is very expensive, like a lot of high-end stuff, but I feel it's justifiable b/c they are so darn good. The DB is not cheap either.

Also, resale value counts. I am getting back more than usual for the sale of the L1. 10 years old too.

Last edited: