Thinking About a Winter Project

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

steve149

Shine on you crazy diamond
Staff member
Sep 26, 2011
Connecticut
I don't use a facade and really don't want one, but have been thinking about a table topper .. with a twist.

Might make an 18" high x 36" (maybe a tad wider) with a 24"ish widescreen monitor inset into the front panel. It would be used for branding (mine or clients), karaoke lyrics for the audience and other things. Otherwise it would be a shiny black panel for times it's not needed.

Thinking of a frame like this:

IMG_1731.JPG

I think it's a good idea - though a monitor that low - would it be easily seen by the audience? Would it be easy to move / setup?

Reactions: steve149
I did a tabletop and used it for several months this past year. I'm sure yours will look MILES better than mine but still, it just wasn't that useful. I was always dealing with guests jerking on it (thinking they could prop on it) and pulling it over. YMMV

I think it's a good idea - though a monitor that low - would it be easily seen by the audience? Would it be easy to move / setup?
Not sure .. the center off the monitor would be around 39" up .. probably too low for bar patrons but OK for those seated. Never asked how many people read the lyrics on the 32" LCD TV I used to put on a table.

It wouldn't fold (except for the 2 wings), so 36"-40" wide is probably the limit in width .. still smaller than a single panel on a typical facade.

Reactions: ittigger
I did a tabletop and used it for several months this past year. I'm sure yours will look MILES better than mine but still, it just wasn't that useful. I was always dealing with guests jerking on it (thinking they could prop on it) and pulling it over. YMMV
I use an Ultimate table cover, but it would still be nice to hide the controller, drives, cables and such (and of course the beverages and meals :) )

We have always just used a table scrim and left the cases exposed, just tried to keep the cable neat. I do, however, hate seeing drinks or small plates on the table. Because we do a good number of rustic barn weddings, thought about having the guy a couple doors down (he builds pallet furniture) make a facade like one of these. Really like the bartop with the backlight, just not sure how that could be made portable and light.

Attachments

• RusticFacade1.png
    RusticFacade1.png
    225.6 KB · Views: 11
  • RusticFacade2.jpg
    RusticFacade2.jpg
    221.4 KB · Views: 12
  • RusticFacade3.jpg
    RusticFacade3.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 12
I used my Floating Facade with my Small System for the first time a couple of weeks ago. It worked great. But just for reference @steve149, each panel of my Facade is 15”x36”. The monitor above it is a 23” AIO, but I measured a 23” Monitor, and it was 21.5”x13.5”... pretty close to the size of my AIO PC. To the left of my AIO PC in the picture is a 15.6” Laptop.
db922bb054382ab513e59d00c9ddaf8b.jpg
Since the panels on my Facade are removable, I could easily build a replacement panel with a monitor mounted in the middle, but with only 15” of height, it would probably have to be a 20” Monitor in order to fit inside the frame, as there’s only 12” of height inside the rear frame to work with...
12a550df2d77a1b8208ea06dc73d3016.jpg

Last edited:
I was just looking at a Dell 24" widescreen monitor .. it was 21" wide x 14" high. For an 18" high topper, that would give me roughly 2.5" on top and bottom (minus .5" or so routed recess on the back), so I could use 1x3 poplar/maple/oak for the top rails. I'd probably put verticals aside the monitor (also recessed at back), so there might be small panels of a few inches in width alongside in front (singer monitors perhaps?? :) ). Just toying .. 1st step is getting a monitor of the size to get accurate dimensions from.

Last edited:
I used my Floating Facade with my Small System for the first time a couple of weeks ago. It worked great. But just for reference @steve149, each panel of my Facade is 15”x36”. The monitor above it is a 23” AIO, but I measured a 23” Monitor, and it was 21.5”x13.5”... pretty close to the size of my AIO PC. To the left of my AIO PC in the picture is a 15.6” Laptop.
db922bb054382ab513e59d00c9ddaf8b.jpg
Since the panels on my Facade are removable, I could easily build a replacement panel with a monitor mounted in the middle, but with only 15” of height, it would probably have to be a 20” Monitor in order to fit inside the frame, as there’s only 12” of height inside the rear frame to work with...
12a550df2d77a1b8208ea06dc73d3016.jpg
Would a replacement panel HAVE TO HAVE the same height? would an 18" high panel in the middle or on top not work?

Would a replacement panel HAVE TO HAVE the same height? would an 18" high panel in the middle or on top not work?

Nope... Has to be 15” with my Facade because that’s the size of the 3 folding frames to which they attach...
92929a3d42c333a080e84625bd51ea07.jpg
... as you can kinda see on the back (black painted frame).

I could, of course, have built a larger frame, but three 18” panels stacked above one another would have been taller than I wanted to go. Keep in mind, when it’s attached to my Large System rack, it’s already sitting 6” above the floor.
565f2f86acec7e0acdb15046c10c6bdf.jpg

Last edited:
We have always just used a table scrim and left the cases exposed, just tried to keep the cable neat. I do, however, hate seeing drinks or small plates on the table. Because we do a good number of rustic barn weddings, thought about having the guy a couple doors down (he builds pallet furniture) make a facade like one of these. Really like the bartop with the backlight, just not sure how that could be made portable and light.

I’m probably going to make some rustic panels for my Floating Facade that look similar to those pictured. Pretty easy to do. I’m gonna use some peel-and-stick rustic barnwood planks. I’ll post pics when it’s done.[emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I like having a Winter project.[emoji4] I’m trying to come up with one for my own self. If I can’t think of anything DJ related, I might end up tiling the bathroom floors and painting the living room walls. Not much fun there.[emoji1]

Nope... Has to be 15” with my Facade because that’s the size of the 3 folding frames to which they attach...
92929a3d42c333a080e84625bd51ea07.jpg
... as you can kinda see on the back (black painted frame).

I could, of course, have built a larger frame, but three 18” panels stacked above one another would have been taller than I wanted to go. Keep in mind, when it’s attached to my Large System rack, it’s already sitting 6” above the floor.
565f2f86acec7e0acdb15046c10c6bdf.jpg
I was thinking just 1 18" panel .. the others left at 15.

I was thinking just 1 18" panel .. the others left at 15.

If you put an 18” Panel on the top section (of the three) of the frame it would work, but it would extend 3” above the top. Nobody would see it unless they looked at the back. The only problem is I’d still have to contend with the 12” limit of the opening in that section of the frame, so anything protruding from the back of the panel would have to fit within that space.

If you put an 18” Panel on the top section (of the three) of the frame it would work, but it would extend 3” above the top. Nobody would see it unless they looked at the back. The only problem is I’d still have to contend with the 12” limit of the opening in that section of the frame, so anything protruding from the back of the panel would have to fit within that space.

I see that as a re-re-work opportunity....

Strong likelihood, that with today’s ultra-thin monitors, nothing would protrude in the back. Like you said, you need to have the monitor to know exactly what you’re working with.

I saw a really thin monitor in my googling yesterday .. like 3/8" .. but all the electronics were in the base and that won't work for me.

Before I do ANOTHER Winter project out in my garage, I’m gonna install some large LED light fixtures and get a nice big space heater, so I can work out there with the door closed when it’s really cold and windy. There were just too many delays in my last Winter project because of the weather.[emoji4]

I saw a really thin monitor in my googling yesterday .. like 3/8" .. but all the electronics were in the base and that won't work for me.

Yep... You need one with an easily removable stand. VESA mountable might be nice too, but not a necessity.