They said it could not be done...

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
Imho I that the HC4500 is better than any of the current offerings out there, unless you are Turntablist DJ.

Reactions: bestdjinfl
I have the DN-HC4500 as a controller feeding a Rane MP25. I think I might pick up a MC6000mkII as a small system, since it CAN be rack mounted.

Reactions: maestro
I like the 6000 as a small rig or a backup piece.

The last version of the system I designed when I worked for Mike up in CT had a MP25 & dual HC4500s with a BU4500 tray system. With it I could control 4 decks in Torq (what we were using at the time). I also had the option of Megaseg (which we used for long playlists or for basic video mixing). And of course also had CD control with a streamlined backup CD library.

The HC-4500's are the best NEVER EVER an ISSUE 6 years running with this one and I have a brand new one still in the box for when this one if it ever dies. I love the HC-4500's
That's why it was disappointing that they discontinued these units. It was one of their worst decisions IMHO. The 6000 is nice and so is the NV. The D4500II was a good concept for the DJs late to the digital party. But the death of the HC4500, left a gaping whole in the market. Honestly I feel like they could've come out with a mkII.
But the HC is the unit that I've also heard the least problems about our of all units. I really don't understand their thinking on this one, other than they (and other manufacturers) feel that DJs don't want high end rack controllers anymore. I was very vocal about this, but they wouldn't listen and then my fear came true.

And no one to my knowledge has anything close.

Pioneer had a nice product in their MEP7000 (and slightly similar SEP), neither of which they currently sell. I would have gotten a MEP if all the functionality worked without the drive unit, but it didn't. A Denon HC4500 mk2 would have been great if it had similar capability .. a controller/USB sound card that also was a media player/karaoke player, etc .. a do all unit .. not tough with electronics today.

Copy_of_MEP-7000_ScratchJogEffect.jpg

DNHC4500-Top.jpg

Reactions: DJ SVO
Reactions: DJ SVO
You can still get the Pioneers new on ebay $1500 however
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Pioneer...846?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19f6285956

I prefer the HC-4500's because I used all the Denon dual CD players and when I went Digital this had the best feel for me
I have the HC4500, but the larger color screen is nice on the MEP .. however, I do not want a hulking dual CD player in the rack anymore, and the MEP doesn't do any more than the HC4500 without it (sound card, karaoke, etc. require the disc unit).

Yes, it was a nice piece, but is also no longer made. Sad really. I always felt the Denon offerings were superior in feature set, equal in quality & way more reasonable in price than the Pioneer offerings. Pioneer really wasn't in the rackmount market. They just made a select few pieces.

Reactions: Jeff Romard
Yes, it was a nice piece, but is also no longer made. Sad really. I always felt the Denon offerings were superior in feature set, equal in quality & way more reasonable in price than the Pioneer offerings. Pioneer really wasn't in the rackmount market. They just made a select few pieces.

Holy crap... Steve Fernino is back! (Cue choir of angels rejoicing). Welcome back, Steve!

Unfortunately, the 19" rack-mount standard for DJ mixers and controllers is fading fast. It only bothers me a little bit... as much as I loved having a nice, compact little DJ system for the past few years, the oohs and aaahs I get when I use my Pioneer DDJ-SZ make it well worth the extra effort to set it up.

Thanks Bren! It's been too long. I'm coming out of retirement.

I was always about quick turnaround and setup while using the best gear possible for the job. That was the goal for all the systems that I had designed for that company.

I could see your point but for me it was never about that... Although I did still get my share of oohs and aahs from the setups I designed anyways.

It's not what you use but know what you're doing with what you use. Some DJs like the 2500 or 4500. I can't stand either one. I love my 6000 and for backup I use a Pioneer controller. There was a time that DJs didn't use a computer to DJ with and then someone found a way to do it. It has become the standard for a lot of DJs today. I wasn't never going to become a computer DJ till I was pushed in thar direction. I'm glad I was pushed in that direction. No longer do I have to carry CD books to a gig. All my music is on an external HD. It's about adjusting to the times. Many years ago there was no such thing as powered speakers and then someone figured out a way to do it. And on and on it goes. The question is what will come next?

I agree... However personally for me I feel that I get a lot more gear that I need and use into a rack setup. I never liked table top setups. I started at with 1 in the late 80s, but after going to racks, even big racks... The setup was faster, easier and allowed for more gear including active backups in the same rig.

I also prefer to choose my own components and audio chain. Loved Denon controllers. Hated the feel of their mixers and the sound of the mic pres.

I'm ready for the next level, I just want more rack mount options. Why is the DJ industry the only one to continue to use consumer grade connections instead of pro-grade and now has done away with the professional rack standard. To me, it seems extremely counterproductive.

Most of my gear uses XLR connections ... mixer, speakers (amps previously), processors (dbx, SPL, Lexicon) .. only holdouts are my CD/CDG players. I do wish there was a pro locking version of USB though, but it probably doesn't matter if there is no corresponding laptop to work with it.

And that's what I mean. The rest of that gear is Pro gear not necessarily for the DJ... But DJ specific gear like CDJs controllers, mixers etc are all or mostly consumer grade connections. TBH all of our industry's gear should have been XLR & Powercon ages ago. Not just mixer outputs or mic ins. Sorry but that's a pet peeve of mine with our industry's manufacturers. They choose cheaper over more reliable and lower noise a long time ago.

That's why I liked firewire 800.

For runs under a few feet, RCA is fine, but yes, it would be better if all connections were locking.

It's also about reliability.