They never get it, do they?

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
It has nothing to do with the price.

It TYPICALLY does. While true, it's possible for vendors of any price point to bail, the more expensive-priced vendors never pull a no-show. In every single call I've ever fielded where a prospect is telling me about their DJ cancelling on them, the DJ was a cheap guy/girl.

It TYPICALLY does. While true, it's possible for vendors of any price point to bail, the more expensive-priced vendors never pull a no-show. In every single call I've ever fielded where a prospect is telling me about their DJ cancelling on them, the DJ was a cheap guy/girl.

Yup. Exactly. Either a cheap DJ they originally booked, OR the DJ was a "Cousin" or a "Friend of a Friend" who they had lined up to DJ their wedding (Likely without any money or an agreement being exchanged), and less than 30 days before the wedding all of a sudden that person can't DJ for them and is cancelling.

The real question is how low will you go? In other words when is the price too low for you to do an event for somebody? I'm talking even in times when things are slow?

We now return you to your regularly scheduled show - 'How Low Will You Go' - where today's topic is - how many times must you ask the same question.
So its rerun season? , when does the new stuff start ?

We now return you to your regularly scheduled show - 'How Low Will You Go' - where today's topic is - how many times must you ask the same question.
I ask that question because that's what it comes down to. Talking about what another DJ charges, how does that help or affect how you do things or what you charge?

Those clients are never going anywhere. There will always be clients that are looking for the cheapest price they can find and don't care about the quality of the DJ. Some just see what we do as just someone playing music and how hard could that be? Our egos don't like that but that's the reality. If that's not the people you target your business to then you have nothing to worry about. Unless you can't attract clients willing to spend the money you want them to pay you.

I ask that question because that's what it comes down to. Talking about what another DJ charges, how does that help or affect how you do things or what you charge?

Those clients are never going anywhere. There will always be clients that are looking for the cheapest price they can find and don't care about the quality of the DJ. Some just see what we do as just someone playing music and how hard could that be? Our egos don't like that but that's the reality. If that's not the people you target your business to then you have nothing to worry about. Unless you can't attract clients willing to spend the money you want them to pay you.
Yet you do a free show on sundays

Not just sundays. Anytime anyone asks him to do a job it is free or low paying because it is always going to get him higher paying jobs that never happen.

Reactions: tunes4046
I've had DJ's tell me "i won't leave the house for less than X"...and then I see them doing an event I know didn't pay that. Or anywhere close to that.

The real question is how low will you go? In other words when is the price too low for you to do an event for somebody? I'm talking even in times when things are slow?

I've had DJ's tell me "i won't leave the house for less than X"...and then I see them doing an event I know didn't pay that. Or anywhere close to that.
Which is why I won't leave the house for any less than I'd get sitting on my a$$ at home .. :)

I for 1 have never backed out from a event and anyone who cancels say birthday party to do a more paying job is a scumbag

Ditto.
I actually had to turn down a very lucrative prom one year,
because I was already booked for a small party.
At least I can sleep at night.
(sleeping under the bridge in a cardboard box....but sleeping peacefully)

The bottom line is you have a choice if you want to do an event or not for a certain price. You also have the choice of being a hero or letting them swim in their own mess.

AaaaAaaaaAAAAAAooooooooOoOooOoOOOOOOWWAAAAAAHHHOOOoooooooooOOOOYAAAaaaaaaahhh!!!!!!!!

(My exclamation for when I have nothing to say, because responding would only be encouraging)...

GJ

And like I've answered this many times, it depends on the work involved, the equipment involved and the demand that time slot has.
We were able to help a number of groups last holiday season with tight budgets who wanted to do a karaoke party by recommend they do it during the week and during the day. A luncheon with karaoke. They saved money on the party, and on our fee. Some obviously had the date and venue already booked, But it helped a few.

I have no problem booking a $295 2 hour karaoke show during the week between 11-2. The times we've booked more than 1 event during those times had been few, so it's very easy to find someone that's available. I have no problem explaining to someone why they can get a lower price during the day and during the week.

I'd love to get $500 an hour, every hour every day. Alas, it's darned rare when I can make that. (some photography jobs,but too few).

I do, without a gun to my head, well, work driving a bus for $12-18/hour. And while not a gun, the cardboard box under the bridge does indeed provide motivation.

So if I have the gear and nothing going on, why not work for $50/hour? Sure, I won't book a saturday in october for that price..now. The week before that empty saturday ask me again.

I left my house this morning at 6:25 am and returned at 4:20pm - bus in the am, field trip and bus in the pm. Now some of the field trip time I spent sititng in mcdonalds drinking coffee and reading a magazine,but it's pointless to drive back to sit for 20 minutes to return to pick up the kids. So that's what, over 9 hours of my time traded for $120 ish.

Ya know, I'd rather DJ a school dance for 3 hours, plus setup/travel/tear down and have 6 - 7 hours invested for $200.

I also know in both cases if I demanded double the money I'd get no money, they'd find someone else to give the money to.

YMMV of course.