These type gigs...

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
About 33 years ago (1985) having a DJ at a wedding reception was still a very new concept. I was still very young and new to it all myself.

I was working a wedding in a nice hotel ballroom and for the entire 5 hours the only dancing that occurred was the bride & groom's 1st dance and the bride's dance with her father. (Perhaps that's not entirely true but, it is how I remember it.) Not one song was requested. Not one hit song or crowd standard moved anyone to the floor. In contrast, this hotel was across the street from the club where every Friday night I'd have a dance floor with 300 people on it until 1:00am. I played at least 20 or 30 minutes overtime at this wedding because, I had by the end of the night resigned myself simply to play until the last person left the room.

When the last table of hanger-ons finally got up to leave, and older woman (mother of the bride) came over to me and said: "Thank you so much for such a wonderful evening. The music was wonderful and we loved it. I'm sorry that we're all not much in to dancing."

I learned from that experience that I can do a better job as a DJ by behaving more like a waiter. So, since then I make an effort to visit the tables find out if people are enjoying themselves and what if anything I can do to enhance that. Under the guise of taking their "musical order" I can learn exactly what kind of crowd I have at 7:30 rather than midnight. I can then choose to be the kind of DJ that the room needs or wants rather than roll the dice on people being the kind of dancers I would prefer.

It only works of course, if you're willing to step out of yoru comfort zone and do what it takes to make it work.. There are times I spent the night being a game show host, children's entertainer, line dance teacher, or star search emcee, etc - things not at all consistent with the disc jockey skills I brought with me. But ultimately, it gave me a protfolio of experiences I can use in whatever dose necessary to manage the impression I make.

I learned from that experience that I can do a better job as a DJ by behaving more like a waiter. So, since then I make an effort to visit the tables find out if people are enjoying themselves and what if anything I can do to enhance that. Under the guise of taking their "musical order" I can learn exactly what kind of crowd I have at 7:30 rather than midnight.

This is one of the reasons I actually welcome the chance to release tables. Any excuse to "press the flesh" with the guests gives you a huge leg up on figuring out how to connect and how to please the people in the room.

Reactions: dunlopj and Ausumm
Most of the dance floor participation depends on the type of crowd.

Blue Collar crowds, Country Church Folk, or older people that come from rural areas are generally the ones who don't get up and dance.

Then there are people who simply don't know how to let loose and have a good time and dance EVER.

... Also, with Most corporate holiday parties...Most employees don't want to be seen dancing. They would rather eat, drink, and mingle, and keep a low key profile. Some crowds at holiday parties, you could have the best song selection in the world conducive for dancing, and the dancing never happens. ...

I don't wanna get into why they are this way or whatever... but I will say that these types of parties were the primary reason I went to branding myself as a Wedding and Sweet 16 dj... the main reason I got away from tiered pricing... and were the parties that I think hurt my image the most early on.

You didn't do anything to wow these people (and its NOT your fault). to get them to spread the word about you in a "you gotta book this guy, he had us dancign all night" sorta way. These crowds and these events typically are not dancing crowds and don't value the dj as much to spend big money on them, so they're not a crowd I typically want anyways. You also gave a lower price than a wedding, so now your name is attached with this lower price, irregardless of what type of event it is.

I would get these parties all the time when starting with another company, and everytime I did them I felt like wow... no ones gonna leave here impressed with what I did... and how can I raise my prices if this is what they're seeing. After that, I decided to make an effort to just attract the parties I wanted... and well many of you know the rest.

You do have a valid reason for hating these events... and many more valid reasons exist for trying to get them out of your portfolio if possible.

To clarify... the original post was not a complaint about these parties...it was a joyous epiphany that these people deserve a dj too

and they actually did pay me well....just booked a wedding last night from it as well...:D

cc

The decision being described is an interesting one on how you choose to run your business.

You can either try to be the appropriate DJ for any situation and adapt to make each event special. Or, you can seek out the events that fit your style. Most of us are probably somewhere in the middle -- but I think it's a good spectrum to evaluate yourself on.

The decision being described is an interesting one on how you choose to run your business.

You can either try to be the appropriate DJ for any situation and adapt to make each event special. Or, you can seek out the events that fit your style. Most of us are probably somewhere in the middle -- but I think it's a good spectrum to evaluate yourself on.

...and then there's the contagion of supplanting one's own identity with that of the people we wok for. :)

Reactions: djcrazychris