Weddings The Ultimate Dinner Playlist

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

cinepro

DJ Extraordinaire
Jun 11, 2018
I was browsing Spotify Wedding Dinner Music Playlists, and decided to see what the most popular songs being used were. So I exported a bunch of playlists and came up with 2044 songs. I only chose the playlists that had normal music (if I didn't know any of the songs or artists, I skipped it), and I avoided the themed or ethnic ones (i.e. all big band or Latin music). I also avoided the ones that contained a lot of songs from a few artists (i.e. all Michael Buble or Owl City).

From the 2044 songs, I counted the frequency and eliminated the songs that just appeared once. I've attached a PDF of the songs that appeared at least twice. I tried to catch all the songs that were listed in different formats (i.e. "2007 Remaster" would be different than "1999 Remaster" for the same artist and song, so I combined them where I caught them).

The next step will be to add the year, genre and tempo. And maybe make it into a meta-playlist!

Enjoy!

Attachments

• Spotify_Wedding_Playslists_2018.pdf
    490 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
I was browsing Spotify Wedding Dinner Music Playlists, and decided to see what the most popular songs being used were. So I exported a bunch of playlists and came up with 2044 songs. I only chose the playlists that had normal music (if I didn't know any of the songs or artists, I skipped it), and I avoided the themed or ethnic ones (i.e. all big band or Latin music). I also avoided the ones that contained a lot of songs from a few artists (i.e. all Michael Buble or Owl City).

From the 2044 songs, I counted the frequency and eliminated the songs that just appeared once. I've attached a PDF of the songs that appeared at least twice. I tried to catch all the songs that were listed in different formats (i.e. "2007 Remaster" would be different than "1999 Remaster" for the same artist and song, so I combined them where I caught them).

The next step will be to add the year, genre and tempo. And maybe make it into a meta-playlist!

Enjoy!

A lot of work there my friend. I'll be interested to see the final result. However, some of the Big Band and Latin are also part of the overall wedding reception play lists. Instrumentals are also a huge element of wedding reception music (mostly dinner and some cocktail hour stuff).
You are creating a Master-Master list. Can't wait to see the result.

The thing about auto playlists is that they are representative of the algorythm que that chose them and not necessarily the listener's actual preferences.

It would be more valuable if the list contained only songs that received a "more like this one" user prompt from multiple listeners.

Reactions: steve149
Playlists are all well and good, but I prefer to create my own on the fly. When you see people tapping their toes and fingers on the table you know that the music is being appreciated. I had one 80+ year old lady come up to me while I was playing cocktail/dinner music and ask me what the name of that song was that I had recently played? I was playing Italian instrumental music at the time. I told her the name of the song. She replied that her grandson would be up to purchase a CD from me of that album. I guess she liked what I was playing. LOL I gave her grandson the name of the CD so he could later buy it for her.

Reactions: ittigger
Interesting list but I wouldn't let spotify automatically choose and play dinner music for me.[/QUOTE

Agreed. However, I would use them as a reference tool to see if there was anything I had not been playing or simply forgot about songs.

Reactions: Jas and ittigger
Interesting list but I wouldn't let spotify automatically choose and play dinner music for me.

Either would I, but it's a quick way to get a nice list of songs, and them go through and edit it to your needs for that event

If your are not frequently and routinely reading your audience during the entirety of your programming and performance, who needs ya.

Not enough data to rely on that list but a fun read and potentially helpful, all suggestions welcome!

Last edited:
The thing about auto playlists is that they are representative of the algorythm que that chose them and not necessarily the listener's actual preferences.

It would be more valuable if the list contained only songs that received a "more like this one" user prompt from multiple listeners.

Just to be clear, the playlists aren't "auto-playlists". They're created by different users. This is a meta-sample of the most frequently used songs in the different playlists. It's as if each user voted for which songs they would want played during their wedding cocktail hour, and these are the votes. I wouldn't recommend just buzzing through the list anymore than I would recommend just playing through the Mobile Beat 200 for the dance portion.

Obviously, it needs to be curated. But there is such a variety in different songs that can be played during the cocktail hour that I'm always looking for new possibilities.

Here's an updated list, with BPM, Year and Genre included. PDF and the excel file in a zip.

Attachments

• Spotify_Wedding_Dinner_Survey_2018v2.zip
    14.6 KB · Views: 5
  • Spotify_Wedding_Dinner_Survey_2018v2.pdf
    462.3 KB · Views: 16
It does nothing for me :sick:..You cannot beat the Elvis original...

True +1, but the concept is pretty good. Wonder how Perfect and Elvis would sound?

Reactions: ittigger