The Rental Companies "Uplight"

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

awalker19

DJ Extraordinaire
Oct 17, 2016
I had a wedding this past weekend. I know the couple and they had originally asked me to pipe and drape the whole room. I did't have enough drape so I declined and they went with a rental company. They also rented uplighting from the rental company. I stopped in the night before the reception while they were decorating and the groom was a little annoyed at what they sent for lighting. I plugged my uplight in next to one of the ones they rented him for comparison. This picture actually make the light look better. The purple didn't even show up in person. It just looked like a white light and it was HOT. I think they paid $25 a light for these. They were going to work on getting their money back for them.

I ended up swapping them with my lighting. My lights also looked a lot better than they do in this picture too.

20171104_120907.jpg

I had a wedding this past weekend. I know the couple and they had originally asked me to pipe and drape the whole room. I did't have enough drape so I declined and they went with a rental company. They also rented uplighting from the rental company. I stopped in the night before the reception while they were decorating and the groom was a little annoyed at what they sent for lighting. I plugged my uplight in next to one of the ones they rented him for comparison. This picture actually make the light look better. The purple didn't even show up in person. It just looked like a white light and it was HOT. I think they paid $25 a light for these. They were going to work on getting their money back for them.

I ended up swapping them with my lighting. My lights also looked a lot better than they do in this picture too.

View attachment 33244
I'm not sure I've seen old PAR cans at a wedding in a decade or so.

I don't think I have tried just UV yet. I will tonight. I got them during one of their sales awhile back. I think I only paid about $50 a piece for them.

Did they pay you for uplighting, or did you swap them voluntarily?

I'd certainly keep that photo around to show future customers. Often prospects will ask "what is the difference?" and now you can show them.

Did they pay you for uplighting, or did you swap them voluntarily?

I'd certainly keep that photo around to show future customers. Often prospects will ask "what is the difference?" and now you can show them.
They paid extra.

Yes, I will be saving it. I wish I would have done a quick video comparing them or a couple better pictures, but time was a little short.

Reactions: Albatross
The light is a Par56. If it was loaded with it's native 300w sealed beam lamp it would have outperformed the LED especially in throw distance. (It appears to be equipped with a different lamp) Because it's a long barrel can and likely loaded with a 200w NSP lamp the bean angle is more narrow and it won't wash the lower part of the drape the way the LED fixture does.

Had the ceiling been 20 feet high the PAR56 would have easily blown away the LED. However, Purple is a very hard color to reproduce with conventional fixtures because so much of the spectrum needs to be removed. After purple comes the ultra-violet range (no visible light).

LEDs make more saturated purples or blues because the color mixing is additive rather than reductive. However, the colors are often "electric" looking or too futuristic for some settings or decor. Using a conventional fixture provides more softness or warmth when the setting or design calls for it.

The LED is closer to magenta than purple IMO. The par looks a little washed out or pale. Having a big inventory of gels is where conventional cans can get more expensive, and it takes some expertise to know what gels to use.