Weddings The lost art of good mc'ing?

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

dunlopj

DJ Extraordinaire
Aug 14, 2008
Belair MD
I've been to two out of town family weddings over the past two weekends. And yes, it's tough for me to go and hear sub-par DJ's - actually frustrating.

At both, the mc work was really lacking - no personalisation, no real feeling, no umph - just bland.

And you had to listen very closely lest you miss an important moment.

And on Saturday night, the two young guys would play any request even if was a floor killer -Peg by Steely Dan after Thriller? Really? I knew most of this crowd and I made a few requests that packed the floor, then off to rap song with cussing and BOOM there goes the energy.

I told them you do not have to play a request if it does not fit the mood. They did not seem to care.

It almost makes me want to hire myself out as an mc only. I wonder if there's a market for that?

OK...off my soap box.

... It almost makes me want to hire myself out as an mc only. I wonder if there's a market for that?...

I would assume there's a larger market in your area for MC's than in this one (Oklahoma City). I have seen the same here... young DJ's who are just plain BAD on the MC side. Some do a pretty decent job on the music, though. You could sign up with a good event planner and see what happens???.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I knew most of this crowd and I made a few requests that packed the floor, then off....

I told them you do not have to play a request if it does not fit the mood. They did not seem to care.

It almost makes me want to hire myself out as an mc only. I wonder if there's a market for that?

There is a market for emcees.
These two weddings you attended would not be part of it.
Someone has to place a high priority on having their event hosted by a personality before it becomes worth something. Many people prefer weddings with organic social interaction rather than a hosted showcase. In that instance, an emcee is a low priority.

With respect to the music:
Perception - you believe you could have done a better job.
Reality - they were likely hired specifically because they DON'T blow off people's requests.

If we remove the emcee as a priority then turnover on the dance floor is of little consequence.

If we blow off a request because it "doesn't fit the mood" we are specifically prioritizing the mood of the emcee. It's the desire of the emcee to build a certain momentum, and to keep a prescribed pace and turnover.

Your instinct as an emcee is not to follow Michael Jackson with Steely Dan (which ironically was rather common in 1983) however, the overall crowd might not care so much as long as the DJ continues to revolve full circle.

30 minute + continuous high energy dance sets is what we do in clubs, on cruise ships, and showbiz - it's not the way people organically interact socially. So, if you want to sell the emcee style experience you have to shoot for the gigs where that is desired - like Bar Mitzvahs, Corporate, and unusually high profile clients. You also have to stop referring to your self as a Disc Jockey because selling emcees is about selling entertainment.

Last edited:
Reality - they were likely hired specifically because they DON'T blow off people's requests.

There is a big difference between blowing off a request, and working it into the music programming in a way that makes sense. The only person that gets to choose "play that song next" is my bride and groom, and even then I'll try to find a smooth way to get to it.

If you aren't going to show any discretion on how requests are played, they might as well have hired a juke box.

I've been to two out of town family weddings over the past two weekends. And yes, it's tough for me to go and hear sub-par DJ's - actually frustrating.

At both, the mc work was really lacking - no personalisation, no real feeling, no umph - just bland.

And you had to listen very closely lest you miss an important moment.

And on Saturday night, the two young guys would play any request even if was a floor killer -Peg by Steely Dan after Thriller? Really? I knew most of this crowd and I made a few requests that packed the floor, then off to rap song with cussing and BOOM there goes the energy.

OK...off my soap box.
I do 4-5 mc only gigs a year

There is a big difference between blowing off a request, and working it into the music programming in a way that makes sense. The only person that gets to choose "play that song next" is my bride and groom, and even then I'll try to find a smooth way to get to it.

If you aren't going to show any discretion on how requests are played, they might as well have hired a juke box.

There's no evidence that they aren't applying discretion. In fact, they may be doing exactly what their 'bride and groom' wants them to do. The best you can say is that you do things differently - and put that difference in front of prospects who agree with you.

Maybe these guys haven't been DJing very long and maybe they haven't had MC training. Or maybe there training was different than yours. I've seen wedding DJs on youtube similar to your experience.

One problem is lack of training. Another problem is being trained by someone that's also a terrible MC. If you saw me DJ/MC a wedding I'm sure you'd be critical of some things I do too. I gotta say that I wouldn't be one to tell the DJ how to do his job no matter what. Just cringe and learn from others' mistakes.

For weddings in this area it's generally a family member you acts as MC. I didn't do one this year and I may have done 3 or 4 last year. On an average year I will MC one or two. The thing with having a family member do it is they have intimate information you and I would never have regardless of how many questions we would ask. The have access to inside jokes and know everyone's name in the crowd which leads to some good interaction sometimes. Although they aren't skilled MC's more often than not they do a fabulous job.

I do get hired to MC a lot of other events around here, the radio gig helps that. I've done probably 15 or 20 this year everything from bringing on a band to charity events. Even did a beer fest this year. Good pay and free beer can't beat that :)

The have access to inside jokes and know everyone's name in the crowd which leads to some good interaction sometimes. The radio gig helps that.

While I did not have INTIMATE details, I always made sure I got any personal non-invasive material to use to make the reception THEIR reception.

Things like how long have the parents or grand parents been married (only if all are still married), any parents or bridal party from out of town, any bridal party members related to the B&G or are special friends, how did the B&G meet, are they taking a honeymoon, why did they choose that song for the 1st dance or parents' dances, etc....

I know most of us here probably do this already.

But when an MC at a reception makes no attempt to make their announcements at least a bit custom to the B&G and do not use their names or the names of the parents when it's good to do so, it just makes my skin crawl, especially if it's for my family or relatives.

But when an MC at a reception makes no attempt to make their announcements at least a bit custom to the B&G and do not use their names or the names of the parents when it's good to do so, it just makes my skin crawl, especially if it's for my family or relatives.

What bothers one of us personally may have no impact at all on anyone else. You've adopted DJing as a personal identity so, naturally you perceive the DJ as an integral part of the event. However, in many situations people have a more retail expectation of their DJ and want no more from him than they get from the bartender. I think it's just a case of boutique expectations colliding with department store practice.

What bothers one of us personally may have no impact at all on anyone else. You've adopted DJing as a personal identity so, naturally you perceive the DJ as an integral part of the event. However, in many situations people have a more retail expectation of their DJ and want no more from him than they get from the bartender. I think it's just a case of boutique expectations colliding with department store practice.

Agreed...my comments were based on my style I used while in this biz, the happiness and atmosphere it created and the compliments and success gained from it.

So my frustration is based on what I perceive to a be good set of MC skills. Others may feel differently...and that's fine!

But to see the potential I knew was there (wife's family - past events I DJ'd for them) not sought or even attempted was a tad frustrating.

Personalized MC'ing may have been my biggest asset and selling point - especially while I was an on-air jock.

the radio gig helps that. I've done probably 15 or 20 this year everything from bringing on a band to charity events.

I agree. I did one wedding along side my boss at the multi-op.
He was hired for his top-40 knowledge and mixing skills (the bride's choice)
and hired me, because I worked at the grooms favorite rock station, and I was a better choice for intro's, garter-bouquet, etc.
I also get MC / hosting jobs with the production company, because they can pay me a little extra, since I am already on the crew.
I have always felt my radio skills allow me to be quick on the mic, with the right words at the right time.

I know my MC skills lack and would love to shadow someone for a couple events (or a couple different people even) to learn more. I have always just thought it would be weird to approach another DJ and say "Hey, can I hang out and learn from you?"

You might think it's weird - but some of the best tools we have - is each other.

Agreed...my comments were based on my style I used while in this biz, the happiness and atmosphere it created and the compliments and success gained from it.

So my frustration is based on what I perceive to a be good set of MC skills. Others may feel differently...and that's fine!

But to see the potential I knew was there (wife's family - past events I DJ'd for them) not sought or even attempted was a tad frustrating.

Personalized MC'ing may have been my biggest asset and selling point - especially while I was an on-air jock.

I think this is describing a confirmation bias and assessing the crowd based on factors you carried in as your own baggage.

I've done weddings in my own family. Some of the couples did not want an emcee for a DJ. Everyone in the room was well acquainted and very social. There was no need or desire for an emcee and someone on a microphone under those conditions can actually detract from the experience.

* Just as there's a right and wrong time to use lighting, one should never pass up the perfect chance to shut up. :) *

I have always felt my radio skills allow me to be quick on the mic, with the right words at the right time.

Bingo...although my station manager always said if you have to think about something you're going to say and whether it's OK or not...don't say it.

Plus in radio over the past 15 years or so, pretty much anything you say on air is already on the screen for you.

Reactions: Ausumm
I know my MC skills lack and would love to shadow someone for a couple events (or a couple different people even) to learn more. I have always just thought it would be weird to approach another DJ and say "Hey, can I hang out and learn from you?"

In my area, all of the mobile DJ's get along very well.
So there are honest friendships there.
It's a lot easier to ask a DJ who is also a FRIEND to tag along.
(unless they are very possessive of their secrets)

But in the end, you learn best by DOING it.
First, you have to lose the inclination to act "cool" and grow the b*lls to just do it.

Reactions: ittigger