Switching over to SSL

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

Dan The Man

Administrator
Staff member
ODJT Supporter
Jul 20, 2006
New York
danhutter.com
Hey Guys,

As I've talked about previously, I wanted to get our site SSL'ed. I'm going to install a certificate and send all traffic to https here shortly. We'll probably have some bugs to iron out but I want to get a feel for how it runs overall.

The biggest thing is may have to disallow external image embeds so we don't get an insecure content warning on threads with them.

For the geekier folks among us if you notice anything wonky with SSL enabled please let me know. It'd be even better if you have ideas to fix as SSL and I tend to have deep interpersonal issues. :D

Thanks,
Dan

PS: I actually purchased the image gallery add-on mentioned in the above linked post a couple of months ago but have been dragging my feet on installing it. D'Oh! It will be installed soon.

Last edited:
Are we getting new avatars??? I get my Angel avatar back?

;)
I completely forgot any you asking for that a while back. I have to find the site I originally got the avatar pack from.

--
Did find one error our certificate provider isn't trusted on Android. There's a work around it appears though.

Reactions: ittigger
Sadly, ODJT is no longer working with TapaTalk for me. Is anyone else having this same problem? I can get here through the browser, but TapaTalk tries to access the data and returns a screen saying "No Topic". Other forums work and it worked last night around 9PM CDT.

This is a big disadvantage for me because I don't sit in front of a computer much, but I have my smartphone with me all day. Using the browser to do anything on a smartphone is cumbersome... too small!

Last edited:
Reactions: Dan The Man
Sadly, ODJT is no longer working with TapaTalk for me. Is anyone else having this same problem? I can get here through the browser, but TapaTalk tries to access the data and returns a screen saying "No Topic". Other forums work and it worked last night around 9PM CDT.

This is a big disadvantage for me because I don't sit in front of a computer much, but I have my smartphone with me all day. Using the browser to do anything on a smartphone is cumbersome... too small!
Thanks for pointing that out. I adjusted some settings with TAT. You should be good to go. Lemme know if you have any other problems.

Thanks for pointing that out. I adjusted some settings with TAT. You should be good to go. Lemme know if you have any other problems.
Still not working, Dan. I got the Alerts, but when I click on them, I get an error. When I try to open the forum I still get the No Topic screen.

Still not working, Dan. I got the Alerts, but when I click on them, I get an error. When I try to open the forum I still get the No Topic screen.
I'm posting from Tapatalk right now. You may have to stop "following* ODJT then re follow to pick up the change. The Tapatalk interface has changed so much since I last used it I'm a little lost to be honest.

I'd try rebooting your device first this may force Tapatalk to flush is cache.

Reactions: DJ Bobcat
I'm posting from Tapatalk right now. You may have to stop "following* ODJT then re follow to pick up the change. The Tapatalk interface has changed so much since I last used it I'm a little lost to be honest.

I'd try rebooting your device first this may force Tapatalk to flush is cache.
Yep... It's working now[emoji4]! Rebooting didn't work, but deleting and re-adding the forum in TapaTalk did the job. Thanks Dan!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With forum software, like what ODJT uses, being more "mobile" friendly, there's not really a reason to use TAT anymore.

And, just as an added note, I was considering TAT for my site at one time, but found out they have a lot of security issues.

With forum software, like what ODJT uses, being more "mobile" friendly, there's not really a reason to use TAT anymore.

And, just as an added note, I was considering TAT for my site at one time, but found out they have a lot of security issues.
+1. You really have to stay on top of plugin updates and there's still security issues from time to time. There was a pretty severe XSS vulnerability a couple months back. I updated myself and my clients ASAP but didn't know till a few days later after the release as TaT delayed in sending out the update notice.

My biggest beef with TaT is they're always pushing some ad product and I'm never 100% sure if they're showing ads on the site via the app or not. This is mostly my fault because I don't take the time to read all the fine details. I know they have some sort of ad program where the publisher gets a cut but I want TaT to be ad free for ODJT'ers. Those bottom-of-the-app sticky mobile ads are just plain annoying.

From day one, I knew monetizing other's content had to be their long run play but I still installed it before we moved to XenForo. vBulletin 4 wasn't very mobile friendly even with a dedicated mobile theme.

Then there's the issue of attachments if you're not careful with your settings. TaT will store attachments uploaded through their app on their servers which pretty much locks you in to using TaT forever. At least if you still want those attachments to be displayed.

Last night I logged in with Chrome on my phone to message someone. The mobile site is perfectly navigable for me. Lots of people don't want to be bothered panning and zooming just use a site no matter how mobile friendly the site is and I'm hesitant to remove the functionality of TaT and possibly alienate members.

There are a number of forums that I -only- keep an eye on using their app, which I believe uses TaT in some way. I've never used actual TaT (installed it years ago but never figured out how to use ODJT and eventually uninstalled it.)

While mobile is important for websites, it's not a cure-all for things like a forum. Based on what I just read above regarding TaT, I see them as almost parasitic. That being said, for a forum, in my view an app is much nicer than a mobile website -- hands down.

Just food for thought. No solution.

i don't understand how anyone can use a forum without a keyboard, imo

I don't know about you, but I read far, far, far more message than I post. Navigating around a forum is much easier and faster using an app rather than a mobile-friendly webpage. I agree that I'd MUCH rather type on a keyboard than a phone or tablet -- I really do hate texting, etc. -- but for quick forum replies, etc. it's not really a problem.

We're back on SSL again. Let me know if you have any funkiness.

The Let's Encrypt authority is really cool. Free certs that are trusted everywhere. If your host is still charging for SSL certs find a host that has Let's Encrypt enabled. MDD Hosting* is one of my hosts. Not only do they offer Let's Encrypt certificates their support is awesome too.
  • Apple is requiring data from apps to be transmitted via HTTPS starting Jan 1 which in turn means Tapatalk would stop working for iOS clients.
  • Google has been factoring SSL into their ranking algorithm for a while now
  • Modern browsers are cautioning people on HTTP sites. Browsers are now warning on HTTP sites — Time to move to SSL

There's no good reason for anyone to be running plain HTTP anymore. If HTTPS gets you a little more Google juice, why not? :)

*Affiliate link but still an honest recommendation.

Last edited: