DMX Sushi DMX - Light rider

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
Latest update.
Got the Sushi and an adapter and plugged everything in...
but having problems with LightRider finding my fixture(s).
Is there another bit of software I need for LightRider to connect to fixtures?
Also, it asked me to create an account.
Do you need an account to use it,
and does the tablet need an internet connection to set it all up AND run the software live?

Latest update.
Got the Sushi and an adapter and plugged everything in...
but having problems with LightRider finding my fixture(s).
Is there another bit of software I need for LightRider to connect to fixtures?
Also, it asked me to create an account.
Do you need an account to use it,
and does the tablet need an internet connection to set it all up AND run the software live?

yeah, see the video - you need to register the sushi- via a windows or mac computer.
then you (according to video) need artnet license AND android or whatever lic you may need for the tablet.

NOW, i got sushi 2 or 3 years ago...it's on a pc that never goes online when the sushi is plugged in..so my 'free trial' (which i didn' t know about when i bought it) is still working...

Reactions: Ausumm
Thanks "Burgh"....
I searched for LightRider videos and watched tons of them....
but none of the ones I found dealt with starting from scratch.

I will have to try this when I get home

Reactions: ittigger
I tried the Sushi-DS on my Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 10" tablet. I'd recommend this as a cheap no-commitment way to try out Light Rider/MyDMX Go.

However...

The Sushi itself is an unreliable POS, and Nicolaudie's passive-aggressive licensing terms are tedious and annoying. (Don't waste your time on their non-Light Rider DMX software - it's poorly-documented barebones shareware.) Once I got Light Rider working, numerous show-stopper issues became immediately apparent:

* The micro-USB input socket on the Sushi is totally unreliable. It glitches if you breathe on it and the Sushi will NOT plug-and-play with Android.
* The Sushi interface draws power from your tablet, and there is no good way to recharge it with the Sushi connected.
* Tethering your tablet to a wired DMX interface is a PITA. Plug in a wireless transmitter and you'll have a clunky dongle hanging off your tablet.
* Light Rider does not automatically detect the Sushi interface after you reboot your tablet. You have to go into the setup and poke it.
* Unlike a MIDI controller, Light Rider must stay actively connected to your lights at all times. When your screen blanks out, your lights do too.

The Sushi was meant for laptops, and since Light Rider only works on tablets, it's an awkward mismatch. I switched to MyDMX GO's wireless interface and it's way more practical and convenient. With MyDMX GO, you get 256 DMX channels and a lifetime license to ADJ's rebranded Light Rider app already activated. There's still one problem though...

When you connect your tablet via wifi to the MyDMX GO interface, you lose all access to the internet. You can't use the ProfileBuilder or download any new fixtures because that requires access to Light Rider's cloud server. There's no ethernet port on the MyDMX GO interface, so you can't plug it into a wifi router and network your tablet to it. In short, the thing is designed to monopolize your tablet rather than integrate with your workflow.

One saving grace: ADJ provides a Light Rider app that runs on an Amazon Fire tablet, which can be had for less than $100. Given its networking restrictions, you might as well dedicate a cheap tablet solely to running MyDMX GO.

Last edited:
Reactions: djcrazychris
good info.
the mydmxgo is a month or so out - nobody has them, and for $6 for a otg/usb cord I can try the sushi on the fire tablet (which cost me $66.57 delivered). And since my iPad died (bad home button) and i'm not an apple fan anyway, i'll try this. the sushi can always be a backup to my laptop.

Being tethered isn't a big deal - i'm tethered with a laptop anyway.

good info.
the mydmxgo is a month or so out - nobody has them, and for $6 for a otg/usb cord I can try the sushi on the fire tablet (which cost me $66.57 delivered). And since my iPad died (bad home button) and i'm not an apple fan anyway, i'll try this. the sushi can always be a backup to my laptop.

Being tethered isn't a big deal - i'm tethered with a laptop anyway.
kpodj has them in stock now ...

not sure how you foudn that...but I just ordered it - 205 and will have it later next week.

orderd it from amazon..245..but canceled it thanks to you.

$40 saved.!!

This is a great forum!

DUDE... I posted the same thing in @djcrazychris ‘s “Video Of MyDMXGO” thread over a week ago (3/14). It was $1 more and only one in stock then, but you coulda had it by now.[emoji1]

Glad you got one and that you saved some $$$ too.[emoji4]

I didn't know of this, or that I wanted it until about 4 days ago.

DUDE... I posted the same thing in @djcrazychris ‘s “Video Of MyDMXGO” thread over a week ago (3/14). It was $1 more and only one in stock then, but you coulda had it by now.[emoji1]

Glad you got one and that you saved some $$$ too.[emoji4]