Sub stacking

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

prodjay

DJ Extraordinaire
Dec 13, 2009
Bossier, Louisiana
I need some input on pros and cons of different ways to stack my subs.

I have 8-18" subs and on my larger shows I stack 4 per side with the tops on poles on top of the subs.

How much of a difference would it make if I make 2 stacks of 2 per side, in other words stacking 2 subs on top of each other?

The reason I considering doing this is so I can get my tops higher in the air.

Reactions: ittigger
No real difference. I'd recommend a cardioid setup if it was a band playing (to keep some of the bass off the stage), but as long as you couple them, it won't make much difference if it was 4 across, 4 high or 2x2 per side.

I think it would be physically better to stack 2 high and 2 across. Less top heavy. Soundwise, no difference.

If your tops are pole mounted on top of 4, how would pole mounting on top of 2 get them higher?

I think it would be physically better to stack 2 high and 2 across. Less top heavy. Soundwise, no difference.

If your tops are pole mounted on top of 4, how would pole mounting on top of 2 get them higher?

Now my poles are not very long and that is why my tops are not up high enough, but if I were to use a longer pole to get the tops up higher the pole would need to be about 56" long, and that is too long of a pole, it would be very wobbley.

If I stack my subs, then I would have a couple of ways to get my tops up to the height I would like them to be, and still be stable.

No real difference. I'd recommend a cardioid setup if it was a band playing (to keep some of the bass off the stage), but as long as you couple them, it won't make much difference if it was 4 across, 4 high or 2x2 per side.
Yeah, what he said.

But if your primary purpose is to elevate your mains, there are much better and safer solutions than stacking of pole mounting.

1544628871010.png1544629088612.png
etc. etc. etc.