Stereo Control Unit

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

DJ Ronster

DJ Extraordinaire
Apr 18, 2007
California, USA
Hello Friends,

As some of you may know, I am a part-timer, maybe 10-15 gigs a year. Mostly backyard type weddings, but I have done a few actual venues.

I was asked by a prospective client if I have stereo control units, for permit purposes. I know what this is, but why for permit purposes? Who uses such a unit, and why is one needed (for permit purposes)?

Thanks!

Well, since you know what it is, could you share with those of us who don't? :dontknow:

Say WHAT?

Well darn it Ronster, share the wealth of wisdom 'cause I'm clueless. What permit purposes? Whatsit?

I was asked by a prospective client if I have stereo control units, for permit purposes. I know what this is, but why for permit purposes? Who uses such a unit, and why is one needed (for permit purposes)?

Why didn't you ask them what they mean, or what they are, why you might need them, and what permits they're talking about?

What did you respond with?

Say, Yes, I have an amp and mixer.

Yes, it did seem like a very fancy (read: expensive) mixer. I did ask her what permits she was worried about, and her response was the venue's paperwork says it is required.

Turns out we have played this venue before and nothing was ever said about a Stereo Control Unit. I told the client that and she's fine with it. I'll let you know if I hear anything else.

Wonder if they are talking about some kind of auto volume limiter. So the music cannot be played too loud. I have one it's me and Otto.

Attachments

• otto.jpg
    otto.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 51
Wonder if they are talking about some kind of auto volume limiter. So the music cannot be played too loud. I have one it's me and Otto.

Just pray he doesn't develop an air leak :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

I think they may have been refering to an SPL limiter or sound control unit of some type. anyway that is what your index finger is for (controling sound levels).

If the venue management's concern is loudness, a good quality compressor/limiter can take care of it when set up correctly. It will keep a ceiling on your output without adversely affecting your tone.

RE: Audio Limiter for the purpose of providing an SPL ceiling

duh

Couldn't we just make believe it (our control unit) doesn't go up to 11 (or even 10 for that matter)?