Step Father/Daughter songs

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

1cdj

New DJ
Mar 13, 2008
Heres the situation:

Fathers been out of the picture. Stepfather has raised daughter since she was 10
Father back in picture now but bride is not very fond of him but is of her stepfather. what are some good stepfather daughter dance songs

Kyle, we had one of "those" situations last year. Step-Daddy was included.

Here's what the bride did: Chose one father/daughter dance with her "real" Dad and the next was with step-Dad. Dance with "real" Dad was Stealing Cinderella. Dance with step-Dad was I Loved Her First.

Then we did something rather unusual. To Kenny Chesney's Don't Blink, the whole lot did a group dance. Real Dad, his wife, step-dad, his missus and the B&G.

It worked out very well and made for some great video. :)

Kyle : Are you taking on this project as the Knight in Shining DJ Armor or has the bride to be solicited your real help or has asked the deadliest question of all times, the off-handed insincere "What do you think?"

My recommendation would be to politically stay completely out of and from under this. She knows in her heart of hearts what she feels and further more what should be done and how. The situation is what it is, so she has to suck it up and select from a list of possible solutions:

1) one dance starting with the real Dad, then half way through the Step Dad cuts in and finishes the job (that kinda says it all, doesn't it?);
2) two separate songs, two separate dances, but now the audience sits through 10 minutes of uncomfortably instead of 5 minutes as in example 1);
3) don't do any formal father/step father-daughter dances but during the evening she dances with both at two separate points in time and have the photographer shoot it unannounced;
4) Fred's idea is novel and perhaps a great sign of solidarity in the brides families however that's 15 minutes of bride's family only while the groom's family and all the guests are forced to sit and observe this pseudo-healing that probably will remain revert unchanged just as it was prior to the reception.

If there's help needed in them finding songs, have them try this page where they can listen to about 50 choices on their own time frame perhaps even with the people involved:

http://www.imadj.com/w_wedding/parent_dances.shtml

Regardless of their decisions, good luck with this prickly situation from your stand point.

Kyle : Are you taking on this project as the Knight in Shining DJ Armor or has the bride to be solicited your real help or has asked the deadliest question of all times, the off-handed insincere "What do you think?"

My recommendation would be to politically stay completely out of and from under this. She knows in her heart of hearts what she feels and further more what should be done and how. The situation is what it is, so she has to suck it up and select from a list of possible solutions:

1) one dance starting with the real Dad, then half way through the Step Dad cuts in and finishes the job (that kinda says it all, doesn't it?);
2) two separate songs, two separate dances, but now the audience sits through 10 minutes of uncomfortably instead of 5 minutes as in example 1);
3) don't do any formal father/step father-daughter dances but during the evening she dances with both at two separate points in time and have the photographer shoot it unannounced;
4) Fred's idea is novel and perhaps a great sign of solidarity in the brides families however that's 15 minutes of bride's family only while the groom's family and all the guests are forced to sit and observe this pseudo-healing that probably will remain revert unchanged just as it was prior to the reception.

If there's help needed in them finding songs, have them try this page where they can listen to about 50 choices on their own time frame perhaps even with the people involved:

http://www.imadj.com/w_wedding/parent_dances.shtml

Regardless of their decisions, good luck with this prickly situation from your stand point.

Yes Cap we've had a lot of "What do you thinks" about a lot of their music selections (or lack there of) for this May 24th wedding... augghhh

Kyle: A personal favorite is to reply, "What's your thoughts on this?"

It seems that only until the client thought and emotional processes are totally unlocked and presented can one even began to consider a responsive "I think".

Good luck.

Great advice from both Fred and Cap....its up to her and the family, but I would suggest multiple options for her to pick from.

Just something that I am thinking...off hand. What a great forum, where you can get experienced advice on such situations!

Great show everyone...really, feeling the ODJT love this morning....lol.

Good luck,
Jeff

Dont Do a Step Father Dance... It isnt going to go well... I would be leaving that one out...

Did you not read his post.... the Step Father in this case has been the single most important father figure in this girls life... it's the biological father that just steped back in to the scene.

As the others have said I would let her decide what song she wants played trying to decide that for her could be disasterous.... if you have a list of sugested music give that to her to choose from under the premise that if there isn't anything on that list she likes that she can choose some other song.

There is only one song I can think of off the top of my head that might fit and that would be Reba - Man he didn't have to be

I would stay away from typical Father/Daughter Songs. Find out what his favorite artist is and you may be able to come up with a song that works. Other suggestions:

"In My Life" - Beatles

"The Way You Look Tonight"- Steve Tyrell

"Somewhere Over the Rainbow/What A Wonderful World" - Bro. Iz

"Kind & Generous"- Natalie Merchant

"My Wish" - Rascal Flatts

Not sure if anyone has asked this yet; Is she also going to dance with her biological father?

I don't really know if this is relevant, but because I looked on here for an opinion I will post mine for someone else. My parents got divorced when I was 4 and my mom married my step dad when I was about 5. I visited my dad every summer, and every other holiday ]easter/christmas] til I was 17. I lived primarily with my mom and step dad. He really was a father to me and I couldn't think of a song. So for my dad and I, I'm going with "Butterfly Kisses" by Bob Dylan. and for my step dad and I, I am going with "What a Wonderful World" by Louis Armstrong [probably an instrumental] and a song for my mom and I will be "Mama's Song" By Carrie Underwood. Hoped that helped!

Cap! Hey...great to digitally hear from you!

One song choice would be by Brad Paisley - "He Didn't Have To Be".

Cap has offered great advice. All I can add is - if she has asked for your help - offer her options.

Then let her mull it over and make her choice.

But I agree...the step dad should have a dance since he stepped up years ago.

The real dad just stepped in - why now?

Ahhhhhhhhhhh Old threads that I can still contribute to.............Love it.

Checked all the songs on Cap suggested web site and still came up with one that works nicely for a Bride and Step Father or Bride and Brother dance that was not on the list

Mikki Viereck - A Wedding Thank You

Hate the term Step Dad.
Cesar how many kids under your roof have your last name? Is this the reason Step Dad hits home to you in Moreno Valley?