Static Noise on one channel

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

Ron

DJ Extraordinaire
Jun 14, 2011
Charleston, South Carolina
www.rcbaudio.com
Got my new laptop in and when I hooked it up to my system on the second channel every so often I would get a static / feedback kind of noise. It will last about 10 - 15 seconds and then go away for a few minutes. I am using USB out to my Yamaha MG10XU mixer. I am going to see about a driver update this evening (but thought I already loaded the latest on it). So I am just trying to put together a troubleshooting list to work through this evening. I am sure it is the laptop; because leaving everything as is and switching back to my previous laptop the noise does not occur. So any other thoughts on what I can check out for causes?

Reactions: Ron and ittigger
Thanks for the input.. darn shame after how much I spent for the laptop.

I had one laptop 5 or 6 years back that had noise through the USB. It did have one port that worked OK, so maybe try all the USB ports to see if that's the issue. Also try the line/headphone jack to the mixer to see if it is a general grounding issue with the laptop.

Reactions: Ausumm and Ron
If both the Yamaha mixer, and the new laptops power supply, have third prong ground connectors (on their AC cord), that is a recipe for a ground loop through the USB cable.

If both the Yamaha mixer, and the new laptops power supply, have third prong ground connectors (on their AC cord), that is a recipe for a ground loop through the USB cable.
Yes they both have 3rd prong connectors. My older laptop does as well; but I know that does not mean everything is built the same. Thanks for the input.

Reactions: ittigger
Ok here is the update.. still more testing to be done. Since my smaller system will fit in my man cave... (still has an identical mixer .. Yamaha MG10XU) I brought it all in and hooked into it. Ealier when I said I loaded the latest driver on it, I actually just let Windows go find what it thinks is the best and install it. I remembered Yamaha has their own driver downloads so I went to their site and downloaded the latest...
Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver V1.10.0 for Win 10/8.1/7(SP1) (32bit/64bit)

It had a newer date than the one Windows found, installed it and so far running over 45 minutes without a repeat of last night's issues. One of the reasons for the latest revision:
Solved a problem in which noise may occur in a certain environment.
Gonna let it play for a few more hours before calling it success. Good news is next event is by bar karaoke next Wednesday.. so I have plenty of time to hook up and just let it play for a while before my scheduled start time to make the the fix is stable. I appreciate all the suggestions, and will keep them in mind should the problem not actually be resolved.