SSD upgrade

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
As Steve pointed out, RAM is still way faster. Believe it or not, there are still apps that look for swap space - and RAM does not have to be full in order for the system to look for and use swap space. Additionally, as pointed out, without swap space, you are dedicating pieces of memory for things - which would/could operate better if it had swap space available.

Last edited:
Still using 7 on the office machine. Should the swap file be on a non-SSD drive? Seems the extra on-going read/writes will shorten the drive life, yes?

Sleeping drive? Shazaam. I don't have any newer "green drives" but it bears a thorough look-see.

This really depends - on many things . Based on what I've seen and read, you won't see any significant degradation during it's useful expected life (5 years) - and some haven't seen issues past that. You could test this from a performance side easily enough. Try it both ways and see if you notice any differences. I'm guessing you won't even notice.

Most modern 'good' drives come with 'wear leveling' - this 'is a technique for prolonging the service life of storage media, such as flash memory, which is used in solid-state drives (SSDs).'

Remember, Swap space is NOT used unless it's needed.

Last edited:
Reactions: DJ Bobcat
Update, I just put a WD 1TB SSD into my wife's desktop PC (photo editing). Seems to make a pretty big difference in load times, even though the photos are on an external USB drive. The one thing I don't care for is the original hard drive was 500gigs so now I have a blank, 500gig partition that I'd like to roll into the main partition (C:). The problem, the recovery partition is between the C: and the blank area, so you can't expand the C: partition. Does anybody here know how to move things around to make it work? Current partitions are as follows:

(500gig) (15gig recovery) (500gig blank partition)

The standard windows partition tool doesn't appear capable of doing this. Does anybody know of any 3rd party tools? Thanks in advance.

Reactions: Dan The Man

Sometimes “FREE” isn’t really free... Free to try, maybe, but not actually free to commit your changes. And sometimes the feature you want is NOT available in the free version. I used this one MiniTool Partition Wizard | Best partition magic alternative for Windows PC and Server - (http://partitionwizard.com) (Partition MiniTool). It works pretty good, but ya gotta watch out for the Chrome Toolbar it wants to install in the installation program.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: ittigger
Sometimes “FREE” isn’t really free... Free to try, maybe, but not actually free to commit your changes. And sometimes the feature you want is NOT available in the free version. I used this one MiniTool Partition Wizard | Best partition magic alternative for Windows PC and Server - (http://partitionwizard.com) (Partition MiniTool). It works pretty good, but ya gotta watch out for the Chrome Toolbar it wants to install in the installation program.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That one is ACTUALLY free .. the have a paid version designed for business and server use.

Reactions: ittigger
Pitfalls=shorter life span - especially if you have an OS such as Windows that constantly reads and writes to the drive. They can handle thousands of reads/writes but I would be careful and always have backup for when that time comes.