SSD upgrade

Welcome to ODJT
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Sign up today!

rickryan.com

DJ Extraordinaire
Dec 9, 2009
Hendersonville, TN
www.RickRyan.com
I know I'm late to the party, but I finally upgraded to a WD, 1TB SSD in my main DJ laptop. I have about 350gigs that had to be transferred. It took about an hour. I left the player running last night in a loop, still working this morning. I was pretty shocked at how fast the box comes up, just crazy. Of those here who have already made the jump, how much did you gain in battery life? Anything? Any pitfalls to watch for?

DJ Bobcat

DJ Extraordinerror
Nov 8, 2014
Oklahoma City
SSD’s are fast, but they are not perfect. There’s a limited number of WRITES with SSD’s, but unlike traditional hard drives, there is an infinite number of READS. One thing you NEVER wanna do on an SSD is DEFRAGMENT... Don’t do it. SSD’s deliberately write data split into different cells across the entire drive to limit the number of writes to any particular cell. This extends the life of the drive. SSD’s used as data repositories, where they are read a lot, but written to infrequently could last 300 years or more. If you do a lot of writes to an SSD, some cells may become unusable, and the capacity will decrease, and the speed will decrease. Who knows how long that will take???... Too many variables. Your SSD will very likely last longer than the computer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sep 26, 2011
Prospect, CT
I have a 500Gb and a 1Tb in my main laptop .. the 500Gb is in the M.2 slot and is the OS drive. No difference in battery life (though I run primarily on AC) .. but yeah, comes up in seconds.

rickryan.com

DJ Extraordinaire
Dec 9, 2009
Hendersonville, TN
www.RickRyan.com
SSD’s are fast, but they are not perfect. There’s a limited number of WRITES with SSD’s, but unlike traditional hard drives, there is an infinite number of READS. One thing you NEVER wanna do on an SSD is DEFRAGMENT... Don’t do it. SSD’s deliberately write data split into different cells across the entire drive to limit the number of writes to any particular cell. This extends the life of the drive. SSD’s used as data repositories, where they are read a lot, but written to infrequently could last 300 years or more. If you do a lot of writes to an SSD, some cells may become unusable, and the capacity will decrease, and the speed will decrease. Who knows how long that will take???... Too many variables. Your SSD will very likely last longer than the computer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Crap, and the first thing I did after getting it installed? Defrag. Ugh.

rickryan.com

DJ Extraordinaire
Dec 9, 2009
Hendersonville, TN
www.RickRyan.com
One time isn’t gonna KILL it, but DON’T do it again!
Aye aye cap'n. I used that laptop today, at the bridal tradeshow. Love how much quicker that box is now.