software advice

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
Nov 14, 2017
Used PCDJ When it first came out and PCDJ RED what software do people recommend for I have a laptop hooked up to focusrite 2i4 then to mixer then to amp then to speakers.

I still use PCDJ Dex 3 RE (Red Edition). I also own Traktor and Serato DJ (VDJ Express too). For me, they are all essentially similar. If you do a lot of active table work, then there are differences.

Does this setup allow you to listen to one deck on headphones while the other deck is playing thru FOH speakers? I use VDJ with the infinity license myself. Your needs may be different than mine.

I also think they are all good - each has their own strengths, weaknesses, and idiosyncrasies. If you would like to try something different, there is Mixxx 2.0, totally free (open source), and as good as most (as long as you don't need video).

I VJ, so video is an absolute necessity for me. Entered into Virtual DJ at version 3.0 and found no need to experiment any further (the old "if ain't it broke" adage). When the major coding change from version 7.4 went to version 8.x, there were bugs. Fortunately, one can keep 7.4 AND 8.x running simultaneously on the same machine, which now, with the evolution of version 8 finally settling down, isn't needed.

If there's any chance in your future for the need of all three [audio, video, and karaoke], a solid look at VDJ might save you endless time.

When I started using CPS I tried them all and finally settled on Mixmeister. For me and what I do it has more than enough features. when I started doing Video I had 2500 or so downloaded from my service when I tested MM and discovered that it doesn't work with MP4 so I pulled out a copy of VDJ I had bought from a DJ going out of business (with several other things) and started using that for video.

I think in most cases it's personal preference more than usability. They all work essentially the same with a few different features

thanks for all the great replies. Off to BEST BUY to buy my wd easystore 8tb drive for $129. THEY HAVE THE ONE WITHT HE RED DRIVE INSIDE.
Darn got stuck with it for 159.00 still good price though they had two different SKU # one for 129 and one for 159.oo same drive though.

Last edited:
Reactions: DJ Bobcat
Reactions: ittigger
Let's say supported....it's available if you look hard or know where to ask

Just for reference I'm not promoting piracy in any way or form but this is something you can no longer purchase and isn't coming back

The code .. but there will be limited "keys"

Speaking of Rick it's 4 years ago this week he was in the accident (I just looked back after my last post) Time flies

I had played with a demo of Rockit - it was still available for a while after Rick's death. I don't remember it having Tempo change, only Pitch, a problem if you mix...but I could be wrong.

If you "Search" you can look at many of his responses to Rockit questions. He had already passed when I became active here - I would have enjoyed interacting with him.

Last edited:
cross dj any good? does it allow for use with the four outs on a focusrite 2i4? so you can cue separate channels?

cross dj any good? does it allow for use with the four outs on a focusrite 2i4? so you can cue separate channels?
Focusrite 2i4 only has 2 stereo outs .. most software apps don't output individual mono signals.

Reactions: Jeff Romard
THEY HAVE THE ONE WITHT HE RED DRIVE INSIDE.
For future reference, the WD Red and Green have power management firmware (intellipower as WD calls it) built in which can power down the drive causing a small lag when they spin up again. This is separate from any windows drive management power settings. I don't know if it can be disabled.
Only the Black and Blue lines (afaik) do not have it incorporated into the firmware.

This may not be an issue if only using the drive for archival purposes but I would not want to use one as my "c:" drive or a drive I was accessing for dj work. I suppose you could use a utility program to keep the drive alive, but I think the better choice would be to avoid it all together. The EZ store/passport/mybook drives also have their own firmware setup which might cause weird and not so wonderful things to happen if you need to trust it for instant access.
Best practices suggest that you should buy a bare drive and separate enclosure with no power management or "one touch" type of backup firmware built into either the drive or enclosure if using as a main drive for dj performances.

I have been using the WD blue drives for a number of years now with only one failure out of about a dozen drives. I don't use the Blacks as even though they are supposed to be performance drives, the reviews on them have shown them not to be any more reliable than any other line. I am also of the superstitious belief that 7200rpm drives (Black) don't last as long as 5400rpm drives (Blue) do.

My suggestion is you get another drive based on my above recommendations for dj'ing and keep the one you just bought for archiving.

Reactions: Dan The Man
For future reference, the WD Red and Green have power management firmware (intellipower as WD calls it) built in which can power down the drive causing a small lag when they spin up again. This is separate from any windows drive management power settings. I don't know if it can be disabled.
Only the Black and Blue lines (afaik) do not have it incorporated into the firmware.

This may not be an issue if only using the drive for archival purposes but I would not want to use one as my "c:" drive or a drive I was accessing for dj work. I suppose you could use a utility program to keep the drive alive, but I think the better choice would be to avoid it all together. The EZ store/passport/mybook drives also have their own firmware setup which might cause weird and not so wonderful things to happen if you need to trust it for instant access.
Best practices suggest that you should buy a bare drive and separate enclosure with no power management or "one touch" type of backup firmware built into either the drive or enclosure if using as a main drive for dj performances.

I have been using the WD blue drives for a number of years now with only one failure out of about a dozen drives. I don't use the Blacks as even though they are supposed to be performance drives, the reviews on them have shown them not to be any more reliable than any other line. I am also of the superstitious belief that 7200rpm drives (Black) don't last as long as 5400rpm drives (Blue) do.

My suggestion is you get another drive based on my above recommendations for dj'ing and keep the one you just bought for archiving.
RED drives are primarily for NAS (Network Attached Storage) setups. I have 4 WD RED drives in a Q-Nap enclosure. The Green drives are lower speed, lower power drives for basic backup needs.

I agree, for online storage, the BLUE drives are probably the best value, with a BLACK drive used as an OS / Swap drive.

I also use Seagate ... Firecuda SSHD (SSD hybrid) for OS/Swap and Barracuda for online storage.

I just looked at some WD Reds online at Newegg and they are listed as being 5400rpm but I could have swore they were 7200rpm when that line was first introduced, no?
I know they had a fairly high failure rate for the first few years so maybe they down rated them?

Edit: Looking a little closer, only a newer line of Red called the "pro" version is rated at 7200 rpm, with the original Reds now listed as being 5400 rpm. Hmmmm.....