Slight Miscalculation

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
Ever since my desktop did the Creator's Update it's been unreliable. I rolled it back to Win 10 original and it still (though less often) freezes or reboots. Not sure if it's still a driver issue or something went on the motherboard (we had some brownouts last week). I really don't want to diagnose it on the board level .. might be time for a new tower. This one isn't terribly old .. it's a 3rd gen i7-3770, so maybe 3-4 years old.

I've had no issues with CU - other than it rearranging where stuff is. W10 did have some driver issues (mostly video from what I've seen). W10 also has issues with legacy printers.

I've had no issues with CU - other than it rearranging where stuff is. W10 did have some driver issues (mostly video from what I've seen). W10 also has issues with legacy printers.
No issues on the laptop I bought last year either .. just on this desktop. Maybe it was a coincidental HW failure.

My small rack is coming along. The blank panel for the top came today, and it was the perfect choice. The connectors for the rear patch panel also came in. The pics aren't great, but you get the general idea of what it's looking like...

upload_2017-7-12_20-37-41.png

upload_2017-7-12_20-37-58.png

There's a small panel that covers the connectors on the back of the computer; I just have it off to make connecting cables easier while I'm working on it. There is NOT a cover where the VESA mount connects to the back of the computer. I'm not too happy with how that looks, so I'll probably have to make a custom cover to fit between the computer and the VESA mount.

I still have some decisions to make. My old small system had a keyboard drawer, a gooseneck microphone, and a BNC powered LED light. I like the microphone and would like to reuse it. I have the XLR connector for it, but I'm not sure where to mount it. The logical place would be to cut a hole for it in the new blank panel... only it might make opening the panel door pretty difficult. I ordered a USB powered light that I can mount in one of the USB ports on the edge of the computer. The keyboard drawer isn't necessary. I like it, but it simply adds too much weight. The darn thing is built like a Sherman Tank. I ordered a small wireless keyboard/mouse combo, so some of the wires you see on the back will be gone.

The final decision is what to do with the 2U space in the front. I want to put a wireless microphone system in there, so that's 1U, but I still have a 1U space underneath. The lightest 1U drawer I could find was 9 pounds. I could just add another hinged panel and simply slide the keyboard in and out, or I have a sliding drawer, but it is uncovered, so you can't leave anything in that space when transporting the system, because it will slide right out. It's these little details that make it fun, but they can sometimes be frustrating if you can't find exactly what you need.:djsmug:

Last edited:
Nice! I had a USB powered LED light and it was really needed!

Does that screen simply fold down or does it need to be removed?

Reactions: ittigger
Nice! I had a USB powered LED light and it was really needed!

Does that screen simply fold down or does it need to be removed?
Ah, yes... I should have posted a pic of that.:) It folds down.; just like it did when I used the 22" monitor, only this one hangs over the edge about an inch on three sides. I'll have to get a custom cover of some sort for it. The beauty of it is the wider frame around the screen prevents the screen from touching the case. only the frame is in contact with the case. I have a cloth sleeve that fits over the computer to prevent any scuffing or scratching. I'd like to say it was all carefully planned, but I honestly had no idea how it was going to fit. Here it is folded down...

upload_2017-7-13_8-59-59.png

I forgot to put the cover on the computer before taking the pic, but it does fit nicely. The VESA bracket sticks up about 3 1/2 inches... not a problem, I just have to account for it when getting the custom cover made.

Need to paint the VESA mount screws black too .. :) (or darken the holes if that's what they are)

Reactions: DJ Bobcat
Need to paint the VESA mount screws black too .. :) (or darken the holes if that's what they are)

Yep... I intend to paint those screw heads as well as the heads of the screws I used to mount the Gator Cases plaque I remounted on the back. That plaque was in the area I cut out. Silly, I know, but I try to reuse everything[emoji1].

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I gotta stop miscalculatin'![emoji1] The wireless keyboard (and mouse combo) I ordered for my new small system came today, and the darn thing is HUGE!!!... it didn't look so big in the picture when I ordered it on my iPhone.[emoji1]... Come to think of it, nothing looks big in a picture on my iPhone. Common mistake; should have checked the dimensions. So it's back to the drawing board on the keyboard/mouse. I don't like mouse pads, so separate mouse and keyboard are musts. Odd that all the small-sized options I've found are NOT your well known brand names. Need something soon, though, because this system is coming together.

UPDATE: Ordered another keyboard/mouse combo. Same brand (Gearhead), but this one should be a better size. Now I just have to wait for it... again.[emoji1]

Last edited:
Been playing with my new controller and computer all morning. Can't get the Traktor mapping to work... I'll get on the Native Instruments forum at some point soon, but everything works fine with Serato and VDJ-8. I certainly must be doing something wrong. I'm kinda liking VDJ-8 except for one thing... no end-of-track warning. Not a deal breaker; just means I have to pay closer attention to the track timer. I LOVE the Denon MC6000 MK2. The new computer is doing fine as well, but it's really just a computer after all... not so much different than the one it replaced as far as performance goes. The large screen is really nice, though.[emoji4] I think this thing is gonna work out nicely... even if I have to switch to VDJ.

I gotta stop miscalculatin'![emoji1] The wireless keyboard (and mouse combo) I ordered for my new small system came today, and the darn thing is HUGE!!!... it didn't look so big in the picture when I ordered it on my iPhone.[emoji1]... Come to think of it, nothing looks big in a picture on my iPhone. Common mistake; should have checked the dimensions. So it's back to the drawing board on the keyboard/mouse. I don't like mouse pads, so separate mouse and keyboard are musts. Odd that all the small-sized options I've found are NOT your well known brand names. Need something soon, though, because this system is coming together.

UPDATE: Ordered another keyboard/mouse combo. Same brand (Gearhead), but this one should be a better size. Now I just have to wait for it... again.[emoji1]

Since several keys decided to stop working on my laptop's keyboard I bought this to throw in my bag:

81wMFKCb7vL._SL1500_.jpg

Amazon.com: Logitech Wireless Touch Keyboard K400 with Built-In Multi-Touch Touchpad, Black: Electronics

Surprisingly the trackpad isn't nearly as annoying as most laptop ones are - maybe because my wrists don't brush over it while typing. Bonus it uses Logitech's unifying receiver which also runs my external mouse.

Since several keys decided to stop working on my laptop's keyboard I bought this to throw in my bag:

View attachment 32527

Amazon.com: Logitech Wireless Touch Keyboard K400 with Built-In Multi-Touch Touchpad, Black: Electronics

Surprisingly the trackpad isn't nearly as annoying as most laptop ones are - maybe because my wrists don't brush over it while typing. Bonus it uses Logitech's unifying receiver which also run my external mouse.

I use that same keyboard in my living room on my digital entertainment computer. I like it for that application, but what I wanted was a similar keyboard, only with the mouse pad chopped off.[emoji1]

That one was certainly in consideration. My new AOI PC already has Bluetooth built in, but the only time I've ever used a Bluetooth HID is with my Surface Pro (keyboard and mouse). Guess I'm stuck in the past. [emoji1]The Gearhead operates in the 2.4GHz band. If it doesn't work out this time, I'll send it back and get this one, along with a Bluetooth mouse.

Logitech makes good products, for the most part, but I'm kinda down on them right now. The mouse with the combo I use with my servers and KVM switch is not working again. The scroll wheel doesn't work. Not the worst thing... the last time it quit working all together, so I bought a new one. Now that mouse is hard to find, and because I need the PS/2 connections on the receiver (for my KVM), it really has to be that specific mouse. I'm looking for a way I can use that HUGE Gearhead keyboard/mouse with my KVM. Gotta somehow attach the USB receiver to the two PS/2 inputs on the KVM.

Last edited:
I've always had good luck with BT mice and keyboards. First on my Mac Mini. I have a mini BT keyboard that I carry in my laptop bag - it came in handy when my keys first stopped working. I mostly use it if it I have to hammer out a long email on my phone. I have a keyboard case for my iPad which is BT based that's pretty good too.

Earbuds on the other hand what a headache. I always order 2 different models at once. I buy the sport ones that are marketed as sweat proof because I wear them while walking and sweat quite a bit. They always die within a month or 2. Anker is great about replacing them under warranty but it's still ridiculous. Only 2 pairs have lasted longer than 2 months. One was an Anker pair though the wiring came loose after about a year. The other was a no-name import that I just got lucky with.

My small system is ALMOST done. Still waiting on a couple of pieces I ordered, but I'm moving forward. Still having trouble deciding where to mount the outlets for my gooseneck microphone and USB LED light...

upload_2017-7-19_13-29-53.png

I need to figure this out soon, though, because right now I have both my small and large system torn apart, and I'll need one or the other of them for I gig I've got in a couple of weeks.

I'm moving the old GTD wireless microphone system from my large system to my small system, and I'm completely redoing my large system at the same time. WOW... I built these systems (originally) more than two years ago, and I forgot how big of a job it can be. I also forgot about some of the things I had set up in my large system for "future use", and the future is NOW.:laugh: The new (1U, quad core i5) computer I built to replace my old (2U, Pentium) video/light controller computer only has one VGA port, and it needs to have another one to connect the projector. I've never used the projector, but I'd never be able to if I can't hook up a second monitor with an extended desktop. The extended desktop is necessary so I can be doing editing and light controlling on one screen, while a slideshow plays on the other, so I couldn't just use a VGA splitter. I forgot all about this function until I went to put the new computer in the rack. Can't add an additional graphics card either, because the little ITX motherboard/1U case has no expansion slot. Fortunately, there was an HDMI port, so I used a DVI adapter to connect it to the monitor, so my main monitor is on the HDMI port, and the VGA goes to the projector. WHEW!!:laugh:

The other thing I'm doing in my large system is replacing the old 1U rotary mixer with the Denon DN-410X I bought for my small system (but didn't fit)... the piece of gear that started this whole thread, and I'm removing the 15 Band Equalizer. I'm a little worried about losing the equalizer because I have used it quite successfully to resolve microphone feedback problems. I'm hoping the EQ's on the Denon will be up to the task. Making all these changes requires a complete rewiring of the entire system, so before I do that, I'm drawing a wiring diagram. There's simply too many wires to do it without a diagram, plus, if anything goes wrong (and it has), the diagram helps to troubleshoot the problem. I won't remember how it's wired a week from now, so I HAVE to document what I'm doing.:laugh: I love doing this kinda stuff, but I'm starting to feel the pressure to get it done so I can test it thoroughly before I need to use it.

UPDATE: Keyboard and Mouse Combo just came, and they're the right size and work GREAT!... well, except that it comes on with NUM Lock on, and you have to remember to turn it off first, before typing anything. I can live with that (for now).:laugh:

Last edited:
Reactions: Dan The Man
Well... I decided on a Wireless Microphone System. I ordered a GTD Audio B-33. It comes with four hand-held mics, which is OK. I'd like to have a couple of lavs/headsets with body packs, but will make do until GTD offers some. I have an Audio Techica two mic system with body packs I can use if necessary, and can just plug it into the second microphone port on my controller or in the 9/10 ports on my mixer. I'll mount the B-33 in my large rack and move the old 622 to my small system. It runs on the 610-680MHz frequency, but maybe I can wring another year or so out of it. The B-33 will be here in a couple of days, as will the last couple of items I need to finish up my small rack system. I'm ready to move on to another project. This was fun, but I'm ready for it to be over. After 18 pages of this thread, I bet many of you are ready for it to be over too.[emoji1]

Last edited:
Well... I decided on a Wireless Microphone System. I ordered a GTD Audio B-33. It comes with four hand-held mics, which is OK. I'd like to have a couple of lavs/headsets with body packs, but will make do until GTD offers some. I have an Audio Techica two mic system with body packs I can use if necessary, and can just plug it into the second microphone port on my controller or in the 9/10 ports on my mixer. I'll mount the B-33 in my large rack and move the old 622 to my small system. It runs on the 610-680MHz frequency, but maybe I can wring another year or so out of it. The B-33 will be here in a couple of days, as will the last couple of items I need to finish up my small rack system. I'm ready to move on to another project. This was fun, but I'm ready for it to be over. After 18 pages of this thread, I bet many of you are ready for it to be over too.[emoji1]

Only 9 pages .. that's still minor league .. :)