Slight Miscalculation

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
Here it is Sunday, July 2, and I still haven't completed the modifications to my small rack case. Spent most of last week playing with the new computer, since the upgrade parts arrived ahead of schedule, throwing my whole timeline off.[emoji1] Playing with the new computer was much more fun than modifying the case.

I needed a few more items in order to make the mods, so I went to Lowes Friday afternoon. After I got home, my wife emailed me a document she was having trouble formatting at work, so I fixed that and sent it back. Then I started feeling sick, and as the evening wore on, I kept feeling sicker. I didn't eat any dinner but I was so sick to my stomach, I spent much of Friday night and Saturday morning spewing chunks.[emoji1] Finally went to sleep around 3:30AM on Saturday. Then spent the rest of the day recovering. It was BAD.

Today was my 22 wedding anniversary. Just got home from taking my wife to dinner. Nice day, but I'm still only feeling about 50% of normal. This is the second time in the last three months I've been sick like that. Prior to that, it was probably 10 years since I had been sick. I simply don't get sick!... or at least I didn't. It has me worried.

Tomorrow and Tuesday, my wife is off from work, so it's not likely I'll work on the modifications until Wednesday. At least by that time I should be back to my normal self.[emoji4]

Hope everyone has a great 4th Of July holiday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: ittigger
Happy Anniversary. :)

Thanks, man![emoji4] This is my second time around. First one only lasted 19 years, so I broke my record. My first wife ditched me when she decided "ALL men are STUPID!"[emoji1] Apparently it took me 19 years to bring her to that conclusion. My current wife already knew all men are stupid before we even got married, so her expectations were considerably lower.[emoji1] I think this one (marriage) is going to last.[emoji4]

Hope you feel better but if I were you I would either go see a doctor or go to the hospital to be on the safe side. Don't let being a man and not wanting to show any weakness fool you.

Reactions: DJ Bobcat
For the last couple of years I have used a macbook and a pioneer xdj-rx with rekordbox if I need added inputs I use one of the new little midas anolog mixers.
Easy to carry about doesn't take up to much space, I use wav files so audio quality is as good as anything apart from vinyl.
I have a wheeled rack that I can use for bigger gigs which has space for amps and system controller, it also has two clip on tables, it came from rhino. Don't obsess about size would be my advice, portability lightness and flexibility are all important, also use the best sounding gear you can afford, and always use good quality files.

Attachments

• 20170514_015512.jpg
    20170514_015512.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 11
Reactions: DJ Bobcat
Hope you feel better but if I were you I would either go see a doctor or go to the hospital to be on the safe side. Don't let being a man and not wanting to show any weakness fool you.

Thanks... I'm doing OK now but plan to see my doctor as soon as his office opens after the 4th. I seem to have a knack for getting sick on the weekend when the doctor's office is closed. The last time it was a Saturday night.[emoji4] I try to stay as far away from hospitals as possible, but I'm OK with seeing my doctor.[emoji4]

I ordered a couple more of these, only this time I ordered the 7200Rpm version for just a little more $$. You can still get the one above for the same price, but it's not the fastest disk drive I've ever had. Overall, though, I'm pretty happy with the new FireCuda drive.

I plan to put these two new drives in a computer I'm rebuilding. It's a 6 core AMD machine I built a couple of years ago, but rarely use. It's got Windows 10 Pro on it and occupies a space in the rack in my studio/exercise room. I was updating it yesterday and decided it's a good choice to replace my studio computer. It's reasonably fast, and Windows 10 seems to run on it without issues. My studio computer is the one I upgraded to Windows 10, but had issues that forced me to reinstall the Windows 7 hard drive. After I make the switch, I think I'll retire the tower box. Towers are nice when you want to install a lot of hard drives and other components, but they take up too much space. I'm committed to reducing the number and sizes of my computers. We'll see how that goes.[emoji1]

Finally had some time to cut up my small case to make an opening for the controls on the front of my new Denon MC6000 MK2. Here's what it looks like so far...
upload_2017-7-7_20-23-2.png
... Made the cut with my Dremel using a plastic cutting wheel/blade. Was pretty easy... only took a few minutes. The structure of the case was not affected too badly, but I plan to put some wood inside the plastic sections on each side of the opening, as well as in the long plastic section underneath. The next problem is cutting the wood pieces to fit... and I have no wood working tools for that kind of detail work. I'm going to go to Ace Hardware tomorrow to look at some tools. Hopefully the next post will show the wood inserts.:djsmug:

So what do you think about putting a 2U vented rack panel in the space above the controller? I could go with a solid panel as well. The space is slightly larger than 2U, but not 3U.

Last edited:
I think that looks really good. You know, once you put the screws into the controllers rails, it should restore most of rigidity you've lost.
If you think it is still necessary to fill the openings on each side, JB KwikWeld would work.

Am I reading that right? That board can support 3 mics? Do they get assigned to the faders or are they totally separate? For those of you using the mics through the board, notice any lag?

I think that looks really good. You know, once you put the screws into the controllers rails, it should restore most of rigidity you've lost.
If you think it is still necessary to fill the openings on each side, JB KwikWeld would work.

I think you're right Handinon about it being more rigid with the controller mounted with screws. Also, I'll have a rack-mounted mic system underneath, as well as a 1U panel. I'm pretty sure that will make it rigid enough. The wood inserts are more for filling the hollow spaces; aesthetics really.[emoji4] I was thinking of using Bondo All Purpose Filler rather than the JB KwikWeld, but that would work too. Once it's sanded and painted, it should look pretty good.[emoji4]

Am I reading that right? That board can support 3 mics? Do they get assigned to the faders or are they totally separate? For those of you using the mics through the board, notice any lag?

Only two Mics, and I'm pretty sure they're separate. If you can assign them to the faders, I have not seen how to do that yet.[emoji4]

Only two Mics, and I'm pretty sure they're separate. If you can assign them to the faders, I have not seen how to do that yet.[emoji4]

On the 6000, there are 2 separate mic only inputs (with on/off and 3 band eq control) that pass through the optional reverb. You can also put mics on the faders (assuming line out capability - mainly wireless), since each fader channel can select from USB or RCA inputs.

On the top, I might look for something like this .. 2U Hinged & Vented Blank Rack Panel a 2U vented panel with a hinge .. this way you can lift it up to adjust connections/power without having to squat in the back. Same place has solid hinged panels if you wanted to drill them out for a connector or 2.

RKPNLHV2U.main.jpg

I made the wood inserts today. Couldn't find any cool tools at the hardware store to buy, so I just used what I had. Not that big of deal, really. Below are some some pics of the case with the wood pieces just sitting in place. The top pic is from the rear of the case, looking at the cutaway section. The second pic shows better detail from the top of the cutaway section. The last pic shows the insert in the top of the back of the case that needed extra support to hold the heavier All-In-One computer I bought to used with this small system.

upload_2017-7-8_16-50-11.png
Next step is to fill it with Bondo and sand it down. Then I can paint it. I'll use that section I cut out to test the best way to paint it. I'll post more pictures as I go.:djsmug:

On the top, I might look for something like this .. 2U Hinged & Vented Blank Rack Panel a 2U vented panel with a hinge .. this way you can lift it up to adjust connections/power without having to squat in the back. Same place has solid hinged panels if you wanted to drill them out for a connector or 2.

RKPNLHV2U.main.jpg

We're thinkin' the same way, Steve. I ordered the solid hinged door last night. I'm kinda wishin' I had ordered a vented one too. I have a vented panel for the back, but it's not hinged. The ability to get inside the case without having to remove screws is a real convenience. I'll probably go ahead and order one tonight..[emoji4]

We're thinkin' the same way, Steve. I ordered the solid hinged door last night. I'm kinda wishin' I had ordered a vented one too. I have a vented panel for the back, but it's not hinged. The ability to get inside the case without having to remove screws is a real convenience. I'll probably go ahead and order one tonight..[emoji4]

If you didn't buy the other panel .. found them cheaper at Newegg .. hinged, Server Racks / Cabinets, Components, STARTECH - Newegg.com

Got the wood inserts screwed in. What a pain in the a$$. Not hard to screw it in... finding the screws was the hard part.[emoji1] sometimes OKC feels like such a one horse town. I went to three different hardware stores looking 8 x 1/2 inch pan head screws with Phillips heads in black. The black was IMPOSSIBLE to find. I could order them online, but I don't want to wait for screws, so I used the silver ones. That means painting screw heads when it's done, but I guess that's what I'll have to do. Now comes the messy part... Bondo and sanding. Tomorrow.[emoji4] Wife wants me to stop for today so she can spend time with me. CRAZY woman![emoji1]