Site Visits

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
I always want to know the site before I play at one. I will try to make an appt to meet the venue manager and establish a relationship before the event and before I quote the gig if possible. I want to know the parking and loading situation, dance floor location, proximity of power and I will bring an outlet tester to check for bad grounds and loose sockets. This information tells me what prep I need and what potential issues I may run into. When possible, I like to discuss the table and dance floor layout and the house "recommended" DJ location. If I see a problem with any of this, I want the discussion with the venue before the event, not when I am loading in and the room is already set.

Reactions: steve149
Not sure how anybody would know what gear they’ll need to take if they don’t have any idea about the size and configuration of the venue. Do you just take everything you own and hope you have what you need?
Yes trailer has all the gear I own in it at all times, it’s more of a pain in the ass to load and and unload for every gig, I literally haven’t unloaded the trailer at home for over a year

Yes trailer has all the gear I own in it at all times, it’s more of a pain in the ass to load and and unload for every gig, I literally haven’t unloaded the trailer at home for over a year

Yep... I’m sure others do the same. Not enough room in the minivan for that. I have to be a little more strategic about what I take and what I leave behind. I would have liked to get a trailer, originally, to tow with a pickup truck I already had. The problem is; no place to put a trailer. You’re not allowed to park them in your driveway in my neighborhood, and I can’t get one in my back yard, so I have to park it in a storage facility. Not willing to do that. Now I’m thinkin’ about getting a bigger van, but I’m not sure that’s very practical either, given the 10-12 gigs I do a year.[emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a client that was mostly sold on booking me (thru the multi op)
BUT wanted to meet me first.
They had already scheduled an appointment at the venue to go over some details,
so I agreed to meet them there at the same time.
I had already played there, so I didn't need to see it.
But it worked out well, because I got the chance to show them how things usually happen at the venue!

So, you could look at it as a site visit...
or you could look at it as an opportunity to seal the deal.

Yep... I’m sure others do the same. Not enough room in the minivan for that. I have to be a little more strategic about what I take and what I leave behind. I would have liked to get a trailer, originally, to tow with a pickup truck I already had. The problem is; no place to put a trailer. You’re not allowed to park them in your driveway in my neighborhood, and I can’t get one in my back yard, so I have to park it in a storage facility. Not willing to do that. Now I’m thinkin’ about getting a bigger van, but I’m not sure that’s very practical either, given the 10-12 gigs I do a year.[emoji4]

Like Tunes....I loaded gear in an out of my vehicle for every gig. (it was my daily driver)
Have not looked back since I got my trailer.
For me, I just like know that...as long as I have the trailer, I know I have everything I need (and more).
Fortunately, I have a dead-end alley behind my house, so I have a place to park it.
But if not, my city allows trailers to be parked on the street, as long as it has registration and a license plate.

Not sue of your situation....
but is it possible to park the trailer where you normally stow your gear?

Like Tunes....I loaded gear in an out of my vehicle for every gig. (it was my daily driver)
Have not looked back since I got my trailer.
For me, I just like know that...as long as I have the trailer, I know I have everything I need (and more).
Fortunately, I have a dead-end alley behind my house, so I have a place to park it.
But if not, my city allows trailers to be parked on the street, as long as it has registration and a license plate.

Not sue of your situation....
but is it possible to park the trailer where you normally stow your gear?

I hauled a trailer around for several years, then upgraded to a small, passenger van. Finally went ahead and sprung for a cargo van ($5k, 140k miles, 2008) and can't imagine using anything else. It's so much better, not having to lift things in/out of the vehicle. I pull up, drop a ramp, then have everything pre-loaded onto 2'X4' flatbeds with 4" casters on them.

...Not sue of your situation.... but is it possible to park the trailer where you normally stow your gear?

Not allowed to park a trailer on the street in my neighborhood either (neighborhood restrictions). Since there’s no access to my back yard, and no space back there anyway, the only alternative would be to put the trailer in the garage. That would mean leaving one vehicle out in the driveway. With Oklahoma weather, you really don’t wanna leave your car in outside if at all possible. As it is, my minivan is parked in the driveway. The other thing about trailers... they get stolen all the time; even when inside locked gates. My minivan has an extremely loud and obnoxious alarm. Not sure how you trailer owners are dealing with the theft aspect?

BTW, there are several sprinter vans listed at govdeals.com

I really want a RAM ProMaster...
3387afb347de9d257b9d65f1d1f58d28.jpg
... maybe the taller model, but can’t really justify it. My minivan runs and looks fine, so it would just buy me a little more space for gear and room to stand up in it. It’s that room to stand up that is the most attractive feature.[emoji4]

Not allowed to park a trailer on the street in my neighborhood either (neighborhood restrictions). Since there’s no access to my back yard, and no space back there anyway, the only alternative would be to put the trailer in the garage. That would mean leaving one vehicle out in the driveway. With Oklahoma weather, you really don’t wanna leave your car in outside if at all possible. As it is, my minivan is parked in the driveway. The other thing about trailers... they get stolen all the time; even when inside locked gates. My minivan has an extremely loud and obnoxious alarm. Not sure how you trailer owners are dealing with the theft aspect?

Just me, but if the garage only had room for one vehicle....
I would use it to safeguard the vehicle that's filled with thousands of dollars in gear.

As for security, the only thing you can do is buy extra locks.
Not just for the trailer door, but for the hitch, the lever that locks the hitch onto the ball, and maybe a boot for the tire.
Just like a car, nothing is perfect...
so you just try to make it as difficult and time consuming as possible.
For me, it helps that the alley behind my house is not a through street....
so it is really not visible to the public.
Do you have a friend or a relative with room to park it?

... Do you have a friend or a relative with room to park it?

Nope... Not one I would ask. Nearby relatives have no space either, but more importantly, I would not like having my gear very far away. That’s why I would not rent a storage unit. So for me, I think I’m doing the best I can. A bigger van would work, but it’s an expensive alternative.

Reactions: Ausumm
I really want a RAM ProMaster...
3387afb347de9d257b9d65f1d1f58d28.jpg
... maybe the taller model, but can’t really justify it. My minivan runs and looks fine, so it would just buy me a little more space for gear and room to stand up in it. It’s that room to stand up that is the most attractive feature.[emoji4]

I noticed there were several diesel Sprinters in the 150k range, currently listed for a few thousand. Don't know anything about the reliability on those units but personally, I'd love the extra height. The cargo van has absolutely changed my perspective on hauling DJ gear.

Reactions: DJ Bobcat