Silent disco?

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
With the college organizations I work with everything is fully funded. There are no admission to attend. The only exception maybe a major concert, formal or trip to a show/ amusement park. I can't remember the last there was a admission charge to any of my events except the formals. Usually I done and back at the hotel by 1am. It's not like the 80's when I was getting home when the sun was coming up. Lol.

Reactions: ittigger
I agree - for your organizations, it may be fully funded. I was thinking of a normal event - and what it would cost per event.

I am friends with a DJ in my area who does this regularly. I am not sure how much he spent on the entire setup (his is 4 channels ; sometimes he runs all 4 himself; sometimes he has 3 other DJ's with him). He is making it work! He does silent discos at different clubs; he does silent yoga in some studios; he does corporate events. He has some sort of "Silent Event" at least once a week; but some weeks he has as many as 4.

I'm not sure I would have a need for a true silent disco, but having a way to broadcast audio might be a nice feature for some events that have scattered seating or many elderly in attendance. The Smartphone setup seems to be ideal, as there would be at least a few phones around in case some older grandparent has a hard time hearing. If I could get a decent transmitter for less than $400, I might try a channel .. and then buy a couple dozen cheap buds.

Reactions: DJ Bobcat
In that case try a FM system, FM transmitters. are cheap and so are the cheap radios headphones either of the ones with Earbuds or headphone style. I tested all this out 5 years ago. The only issue is preventing them from changing the station on the Headphones. Most of the inexpensive radios have the one button scan feature. But many times I find seniors are happy if it isn't loud & also the ones which won't really care for Headphones or earbuds on their head or in their ears.

In that case try a FM system, FM transmitters. are cheap and so are the cheap radios headphones either of the ones with Earbuds or headphone style. I tested all this out 5 years ago. The only issue is preventing them from changing the station on the Headphones. Most of the inexpensive radios have the one button scan feature. But many times I find seniors are happy if it isn't loud & also the ones which won't really care for Headphones or earbuds on their head or in their ears.
But then I'd have to supply receivers .. and manage those. Much easier to throw away a set of $1 earbuds and let them use their (or a relative's) phone. It's not for the general "sound" .. more of important speeches and such that some just can't hear well.

But then I'd have to supply receivers .. and manage those. Much easier to throw away a set of $1 earbuds and let them use their (or a relative's) phone. It's not for the general "sound" .. more of important speeches and such that some just can't hear well.

Don't waste your time with FM transmitters. The ones that are legal are such low power that you'd have everybody screaming about all the interference they'd be getting. That, in addition to try and explain to everyone how to download an FM radio app (if there is such a beast). Not worth it.

Don't waste your time with FM transmitters. The ones that are legal are such low power that you'd have everybody screaming about all the interference they'd be getting. That, in addition to try and explain to everyone how to download an FM radio app (if there is such a beast). Not worth it.
Yea, not interested in FM, but the one I linked earlier ( FetchExpress - Affordable Personal PA System. Wireless Audio Guide - (https://www.audiofetch.com/product/fetch-express/)) is a direct WiFi streamer. You download a free app and connect to it like any streaming radio. Difference is it's geared to a local WiFi, not internet, so it stays in tighter sync with the music (so they say :) ). It might be handy in some situations .. again if I can get the $550 device for under $400 (only need single channel .. they have multi-channel solutions as well).

FM transmitters do work I use them for my Drive-in Outdoor Movie events for over 15 years. You have to find a clear channel. Mine is a legal FM unit low power. Others now have low & high power setting. I'll leave it at that which way to cluck the switch. Don't think any cell phone have FM or a app goes to the net. Most FM station now steam but I don't think it is in sync with their live Broadcast. FM Definitely not the best way I do it for it to individual Headphones but I tested it out personally. It's cheaper & way safer than attempting to use the internet for live steaming, Beside there could be a noticeable delay if doing something live & what is streamed. With FM at the Drive-In Movie there wasn't a noticeable delay between the live audio from the speakers & thru the car radios.IMG_3530.JPG

From what I can tell by looking at the videos and reading about this product, it appears to be a possible use at clubs, large schools/universities or perhaps court clubs or other exercise venues and corporate conferences.

What can anyone tell me about the potential for silent disco to be used in the wedding DJ market?

And the internet doesn't have a clear path to a reseller. Who sells these systems?

This company is already doing all the those of events including weddings.

Silent Solutions | Silent Events - (https://www.silentevents.com/solutions/)

I would think that any wedding where loud music is an issue would be a candidate or if the couple just wants to do something different at the tail end of the reception would be a candidate.

I get it ads coming up all the time on Groupon/Facebook for silent disco events at different locations each week throughout New York. Actually some of the locations look very interesting from rooftops to boat rides to lofts.

All of the equipment come from China. Pretty much any reseller I have seen on eBay has a greatly inflated price. I may sell off my system and upgrade in a year or two. But with these tariffs and trade war I'm not even thinking about placing another order until things are resolved themselves.