Should this size generator be enough for this setup?

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
I tried to make a post earlier but I guess I was in a bad location. No issues with that generator with the setup we used. Things went well till a cop showed up which I knew was going to happen. They don't want amplified music up there and they mean it! The thing is the people that live there don't want their property value to go down. Regardless of what some think it's a racial issue. They see a bunch of black people up there with a DJ, automatically they think there's going to be trouble. They don't know this group of people. They are a friendly group of people and never have I done an event for them and something bad happened.

Anyway the lady cop explained things and said if shebhas to come back (which she doesn't want to) the person whose name is on the permit will get fined. It was over 100 there. I will do a gig report once my PC is CV fixed.

I w

I tried to make a post earlier but I guess I was in a bad location. No issues with that generator with the setup we used. Things went well till a cop showed up which I knew was going to happen. They don't want amplified music up there and they mean it! The thing is the people that live there don't want their property value to go down. Regardless of what some think it's a racial issue. They see a bunch of black people up there with a DJ, automatically they think there's going to be trouble. They don't know this group of people. They are a friendly group of people and never have I done an event for them and something bad happened.

Mix I'm not saying race had nothing to do with it but the bottom line is when you break the law police sometimes show up...Happens to us Honkeys too

You really got off easy if that's all that happened. If the area is zoned for no amplified music and you show up with a generator and DJ Equipment. And then you play music that announces who you are and where you, seriously what do you expect is going to happen? To tell the truth if they could start looking for other things. I know where you coming from but in this case you don't have a leg to stand on. I have had cases where the music had to to lower after a given time and it didn't manner who they were and how much money they had. The Only Exception was when I was playing for police officers and police from 3 miles away in another jurisdiction showed up. Very long story, everyone was friendly, nobody got tickets but I will never let myself be put in that situation again. But playing music in a area not zoned for music is a NO Go.

...Regardless of what some think it's a racial issue. They see a bunch of black people up there with a DJ, automatically they think there's going to be trouble...
[emoji1]... Regardless of what SOME think???[emoji1]... Do you think we're a bunch of racists???[emoji1] Couldn't be MORE WRONG!!!... In fact, I'm probably gonna agree with you... There might be some prejudice going on with the people who live near the park. BUT... I'll betcha there were previous incidents in that park where there WAS TROUBLE when a bunch of black people and DJ showed up there. Perhaps it's not fair to think that ALL groups of black people and their DJ are gonna cause trouble, but if it happened before, it certainly would give one cause to think it might happen again.

A few years ago, a large group of teenagers walked through my neighborhood around 11:00 at night, and vandalized the cars parked in the streets. They busted out the window of my car. Those were white kids. Now... anytime I see a group of teenagers walking through the streets at night, I watch them until they are well past my house... Does that mean I'm prejudice against white kids?[emoji1]

Mix, I think you must be an idiot, you promise to do a free gig in a place where you know you will be breaking the law, I think you got off easy, youre lucky they didn’t impound your gear and give you the fine

Used regular power strips and not a problem. I have a suggestion for next
[emoji1]... Regardless of what SOME think???[emoji1]... Do you think we're a bunch of racists???[emoji1] Couldn't be MORE WRONG!!!... In fact, I'm probably gonna agree with you... There might be some prejudice going on with the people who live near the park. BUT... I'll betcha there were previous incidents in that park where there WAS TROUBLE when a bunch of black people and DJ showed up there. Perhaps it's not fair to think that ALL groups of black people and their DJ are gonna cause trouble, but if it happened before, it certainly would give one cause to think it might happen again.

A few years ago, a large group of teenagers walked through my neighborhood around 11:00 at night, and vandalized the cars parked in the streets. They busted out the window of my car. Those were white kids. Now... anytime I see a group of teenagers walking through the streets at night, I watch them until they are well past my house... Does that mean I'm prejudice against white kids?[emoji1]
I totally agree with you. I bet there have been situations like you talked about happened up there and they don't want their property value going down. Not to mention the police don't want to have to come over there and deal with such things. Also you're allowed to drink alcohol in the park as well.

I get what the family is thinking and that is we're not those kind of people and they certainly are not. The people living there don't know them. So they don't know they're not looking to start trouble. That's why I do it for them. Nobody in the crowd is going to start a fight.

Now Tunes the person responsible for paying the fine if given a ticket is the person who's name is on the permit. They know these things going into getting the permit but don't care. They told me they would pay the fine.

I tried in the past to suggest them finding a place where you don't have that issue and they refused my suggestion. It be done in Branch Brook Park but they won't even consider that park. Saying people won't come there.

My friend Jay Jay suggested a place that he did a thing like that using a generator and no issues at all. He mentioned Eagle Rock in South Orange, NJ off of South Orange Avenue. Very nice area where it would be just us there. So they don't have other people around us. I'm going to talk to them about it and see what they say. If they insist on having in the same place then I will let them know I won't be there because I'm tired of getting blamed for what is their fault. Not to mention as long as they have been knowing me, they should know I'm going to suggest a nice place to have it in where it can be just us.

I tried in the past to suggest them finding a place where you don't have that issue and they refused my suggestion.

In that case you refuse to do the event

Reactions: ittigger
I just called the Essex County Parks department and I was told they don't allow a DJ in any park. So that's that. Now the thing we're helping out with on Saturday August 25th is something totally different. They don't allow a DJ in the park for a picnic. Oh well I got to tell them this. They are not going to be happy once I tell them this.

I just called the Essex County Parks department and I was told they don't allow a DJ in any park. So that's that. Now the thing we're helping out with on Saturday August 25th is something totally different. They don't allow a DJ in the park for a picnic. Oh well I got to tell them this. They are not going to be happy once I tell them this.

Why does it matter? You already knowingly broke the law at least once by playing in a park that you knew you were not allowed to play in. Why not break it again?

The people living there don't know them. So they don't know they're not looking to start trouble. That's why I do it for them. Nobody in the crowd is going to start a fight.

Unless you are a County or Gov't official, then you have no capacity or capability to alter the law - and the police would not care what you think. You chose to break the law, period.

Also you're allowed to drink alcohol in the park as well.

What is prohibited from ALL County parks? Straight off their website and forms - 'ALL ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES, glass containers and bottles'.

--------------------------------------------

As for no DJ's in any park, it's funny how many events I'm finding in Essex County parks with DJ's - some sponsored by the County. Hmmmmm.

I also just found a document that specifically asks if there will be music and also informs about event insurance. Sounds like it is allowed to me - you just have to do it the legal way - but as demonstrated previously, the law doesn't matter.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jeff Romard
Why does it matter? You already knowingly broke the law at least once by playing in a park that you knew you were not allowed to play in. Why not break it again?

As for no DJ's in any park, it's funny how many events I'm finding in Essex County parks with DJ's - some sponsored by the County. Hmmmmm.

I also just found a document that specifically asks if there will be music and also informs about event insurance. Sounds like it is allowed to me.
No not for a picnic like this. I was told that some people do it anyway. The types of events where it's allowed are with a special permit. That's where there's a big stage is being used that the parks department supplies. I guess that's included in the price for the permit.

No not for a picnic like this. I was told that some people do it anyway. The types of events where it's allowed are with a special permit. That's where there's a big stage is being used that the parks department supplies. I guess that's included in the price for the permit.

You're right - not for a picnic - because everyone would be playing music then and it wouldn't be fun for anyone. If you want music, then you need a permit. You knew this and decided to do it anyways - and knowingly broke the law. Why does it matter for any other event then?

There are some people that can drive better when they're drunk than when they are sober. Should we allow them to drive illegally because we feel they're not a danger to others?

As for alcohol - it is NOT allowed at ANY time in ANY County park.

The law is set - you don't get to choose how or where it applies.

You're right - not for a picnic - because everyone would be playing music then and it wouldn't be fun for anyone. If you want music, then you need a permit. You knew this and decided to do it anyways - and knowingly broke the law. Why does it matter for any other event then?

There are some people that can drive better when they're drunk than when they are sober. Should we allow them to drive illegally because we feel they're not a danger to others?

As for alcohol - it is NOT allowed at ANY time in ANY County park.

The law is set - you don't get to choose how or where it applies.
I never got the permit. So my name is no where on the permit. I agree it's a bad choice on my part to keep doing each year. Now the thing is they want me so bad that they don't care about paying a fine if it comes to that. All I can see is no matter how low the music is, people who live there see that many people there and a DJ are going to call the police.

Now the thing is they want me so bad that they don't care about paying a fine if it comes to that.

I might be getting the gigs mixed up, but wasn't this for a godson or something where you were providing the service for free to help them out? If they are willing to pay a fee, why not pay you (or tip you what the fee would have been)?

I never got the permit. So my name is no where on the permit. I agree it's a bad choice on my part to keep doing each year. Now the thing is they want me so bad that they don't care about paying a fine if it comes to that. All I can see is no matter how low the music is, people who live there see that many people there and a DJ are going to call the police.
Well obviously they want you... ur free. Even after the fine, it's still cheaper than hiring a real professional.

Knock Knock earth to Mix. It's not about paying the fine and them ticketing who is on the permit. They can do a number of things including arresting the person playing the music, checking for illegal substances & alcohol , running the plates of all the cars. & a number of other things. Keep playing around with fire. Hopefully your family is connected legally and/or your a cop. I had a very long discussion with a policeman about what he could do sometime ago. And that was when things were calm

Knock Knock earth to Mix. It's not about paying the fine and them ticketing who is on the permit. They can do a number of things including arresting the person playing the music, checking for illegal substances & alcohol , running the plates of all the cars. & a number of other things. Keep playing around with fire. Hopefully your family is connected legally and/or your a cop. I had a very long discussion with a policeman about what he could do sometime ago. And that was when things were calm
Especially when the officers figure out they've told and warned you (the collective you at the party) about it previously.

Reactions: ittigger

It doesn't matter if you got the permit or not - you still knowingly and willingly broke the law. Is it legal to drive a vehicle with no plates on it? Why not, your name is nowhere on the vehicle? Do you think they'd let you go if they pulled you over?

It's not a bad thing that you do it - it's a terrible thing and to continue to do so is continuance of you thinking it's ok to break the law. Let's add that you also think it's perfectly legal to consume alcohol on said grounds - which is also CLEARLY prohibited. How on earth is any of this a good thing in any way? If you want people to respect you, then you need to respect right from wrong, others and the policies set by others. You wonder why you're neighborhood / area is bad - yet look at the example that you set.

The people that live near the park don't matter and it doesn't matter if you were 50 miles in the woods with no one around. It's called Ethics, of which it appears you have none. You knew the law and you still chose to break it - yet you squeal when the officers show up and give you a hard time - and those people are charged with nothing more than making sure you are following the rules and the law, of which you were not.

Last edited:
All of us break a law from time-to-time. Is there anyone who NEVER exceeds the speed limit... or crosses the street without going to the cross-walk? Doesn't make us bad people, but we knowingly do it, and we can all rationalize doing it... we're NOT hurting anyone; it's a stupid law, or a stupid speed limit for that street, etcetera.[emoji1]There's a lot of laws that are suppose to be for our own safety... to protect us from ourselves. Or laws to enforce courtesy, because many among us tend not to be courteous to others. Perhaps that park doesn't allow amplified music because it affects the quality of life of the nearby residents. The people next door play their music loud and it bothers me... not against the law unless they do it after 10 PM, but it's not very courteous. Would it bother me as much if they had better taste in music?[emoji1] Maybe not.[emoji1] Some people just don't care about anyone but themselves, so we pass laws we hope will make some of them do what they should do if they were courteous. What's a park for, anyway? Is it a green space for those who may not have a yard for their kids to play... is it a public potty for your dog, is it a free venue to gather your friends and play loud music?[emoji1]

Reactions: Jeff Romard