Should this size generator be enough for this setup?

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

MIXMASTERMACHOM

DJ Extraordinaire
ODJT Supporter
Oct 16, 2011
We have an event to do in South Mountain Reservation on June 16th. My God son said he had a couple of generators we could use so I thought. Those generators are for the bouncy house. I'm asking this question because rarely do we do events that we need a generator. This the setup we will be using that day.

My controller, effects machine, laptop, mixing board, w Mackie Thump speakers. Along with my partners new toy. His touchscreen PC that he uses to DJ with. Will a 6500 watt generator be good enough?

We have an event to do in South Mountain Reservation on June 16th. My God son said he had a couple of generators we could use so I thought. Those generators are for the bouncy house. I'm asking this question because rarely do we do events that we need a generator. This the setup we will be using that day.

My controller, effects machine, laptop, mixing board, w Mackie Thump speakers. Along with my partners new toy. His touchscreen PC that he uses to DJ with. Will a 6500 watt generator be good enough?

If you can run all that on a single outlet normally (my guess is yes), then all you need is 1800-2000 watts, so yes, 6500 is more than enough.

The bigger issue is how noisy (both how loud is it and how noisy is the output power) is the generator. An inverter generator will have a more stable output than an non-inverter type will.

If you can run all that on a single outlet normally (my guess is yes), then all you need is 1800-2000 watts, so yes, 6500 is more than enough.

The bigger issue is how noisy (both how loud is it and how noisy is the output power) is the generator. An inverter generator will have a more stable output than an non-inverter type will.
Thanks Steve and I will talk to my God son later. I learned a valuable lesson from the past. I will use an extension cord so the generator isn't close to us so no issues with us hearing us mixing.

The bigger issue is he's using Mackie Thumps, to which he has consistently referred to as 'Mackie Junks' and said he would never use.
The reason for using those speakers is because they don't hit as hard . The issue is the permit doesn't allow amplified music. So it was decided to use the Mackies. Don't beat me up for that's their decision and they said they would pay the fine.

I tried to talk them into using Branch Brook Park but are not open to my suggestion because some how they think it's beneath them. They see it as a ghetto park and it's not that at all. I know for sure you can get a sound permit for that park. Hopefully if a cop does show up they will be nice and see it's not a rough crowd. Wish me luck.

Isn't using a pair of Mackies "Amplifying Music" ? Are you thinking they'll pity you because they're Thumps?

If there's no amplified music allowed, I'm guessing people know that and will call the cops simply from hearing the generator running.
The"I'll pay the fine is you get busted" doesn't fly with me. I'm out

If there's no amplified music allowed, I'm guessing people know that and will call the cops simply from hearing the generator running.
The"I'll pay the fine is you get busted" doesn't fly with me. I'm out
My best friends wife paid it one year. That's before she knew that she knew she needed a sound permit. They know now and my God son said he would pay the fine. There you have it. Crazy to me but they won't listen.

The reason for using those speakers is because they don't hit as hard . The issue is the permit doesn't allow amplified music. So it was decided to use the Mackies. Don't beat me up for that's their decision and they said they would pay the fine.

I tried to talk them into using Branch Brook Park but are not open to my suggestion because some how they think it's beneath them. They see it as a ghetto park and it's not that at all. I know for sure you can get a sound permit for that park. Hopefully if a cop does show up they will be nice and see it's not a rough crowd. Wish me luck.

The reason doesn't matter. If I tell someone that something is junk and that I will never use it, then that's exactly what it means. This also means that you bought a pair of speakers that are 'Mackie Junks'. You went against your own words.

As for the event, you refuse to accept an event when you know there will be trouble - but you're ok with an event that you know will cause trouble. Hmmmmmmmm.

If there is no amplified music allowed, then what are you there for? 'Rough crowd' or not doesn't matter. If there is no music allowed, then it's a done deal. The cops don't care if you're nice.

Reactions: DJ Bobcat
The reason doesn't matter. If I tell someone that something is junk and that I will never use it, then that's exactly what it means. This also means that you bought a pair of speakers that are 'Mackie Junks'. You went against your own words.

As for the event, you refuse to accept an event when you know there will be trouble - but you're ok with an event that you know will cause trouble. Hmmmmmmmm.

If there is no amplified music allowed, then what are you there for? 'Rough crowd' or not doesn't matter. If there is no music allowed, then it's a done deal. The cops don't care if you're nice.
I didn't buy them. My partner bought them. He tried to get me to buy a pair. I wouldn't even listen to them.

doesn't allow amplified music.
Good luck dealing with that, I know my large generators are loud. I can't imagine trying to use them in a area zoned for no amplified Music. Last August one of picnic I attend had the park police shut them down as soon as they saw the generator & DJ equipment. I guess people had been playing the music way too loud in the park over the years and people complained about the noise. I've spoken to police and they said they ticket the person making the noise not the homeowner.

I didn't buy them. My partner bought them. He tried to get me to buy a pair. I wouldn't even listen to them.

You will listen to them at this event that you should not be attending - which you did not respond to.

Last edited:
And if you're going to flaunt the law, why not use your DSRs if you like them better? You don't have to turn them up to 11. If you still haven't covered them, get a can of spray on bedliner at Home Depot and give the bottoms a quick spray. If you're going to go down, go down in flames !

We will be using the Mackies at the park event in Branch Brook Park as monitors for the performers at that event. The other speakers will be Yamaha tops, Yorkville subs and EV for a monitor for us to hear us mixing. No renting speakers for that event.

We will be using the Mackies at the park event in Branch Brook Park as monitors for the performers at that event. The other speakers will be Yamaha tops, Yorkville subs and EV for a monitor for us to hear us mixing. No renting speakers for that event.
I thought you said they wouldn't consider Branch Brooke Park, or did I misread something? So, now you will have the tops as monitors, subs, Yamaha tops and other monitors in a park that only allows acoustic music? Or you got a permit and can change to your park?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: steve149
I thought you said they wouldn't consider Branch Brooke Park, or did I misread something? So, now you will have the tops as monitors, subs, Yamaha tops and other monitors in a park that only allows acoustic music? Or you got a permit and can change to your park?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
This one is the event for the guy's sons memorial he has every year. 2 separate events.

Have you fixed the DSR's yet, or will you take them out to another event looking all busted up? You should really be ashamed of yourself showing up to a paid gig with those speakers looking like that. All that it takes is a few cans of paint and 1-2 hours and you can have those looking much better. It's very obvious that you could care less about looking professional.

Sure. THEY will pay the fine....
but the ticket from the cops will have YOUR NAME ON IT.
Also, if the cops come to give you a ticket, they will undoubtedly SHUT YOU DOWN.
If they do, will you still get paid?
I would get your money BEFORE you even start the generator.

Reactions: DJ Bobcat