Setup spots - how picky are you?

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

rickryan.com

DJ Extraordinaire
ODJT Supporter
Dec 9, 2009
Hendersonville, TN
www.rickryan.com
Yesterday afternoon, my son worked his 2nd solo DJ gig. It was for a girl's fast pitch softball tournament. Basically, play music while the games are going on.
MattBaseball.jpg
After work, I drove out there (an hour's drive), just to check on him and give him some moral support. When I get there, I find the client put him out on one of the ballfields, right in the middle of this powdery, orange dirt. The equipment was filthy and I was pretty livid. We had a teaching moment, where I explained to him what was, and what is not acceptable for setup locations. Keep in mind there were all kinds of spots that would have been on concrete and not on raw dirt. I re-explained our contract, so he'd know in the future when he can push back and how to go about negotiating a better location. Oh yea, notice the covering. It's not tied or weighted down. Fortunately, the wind was still enough to not rip the EZ-up from over the top of him. Sure wish I'd sent something besides the Bose. It raises a question, how picky do you get on stuff like this? Do you just take the client's directions or do you enforce your contract and push back? Have you ever refused to setup at a particular location?

I generally take a very client friendly stance on most things. I like being easy to work with.

If I get a floor plan that has me in a very bad place, I'll tell the client why I think it's a mistake and propose something different. But if they insist after they know why it isn't ideal... I typically just go with it.

If I wanted to move after I was on-site, I'd start by asking them if a different location would be ok versus trying to enforce it as a contract item. Very rarely has anything ever turned into a stand-off using this method for me.

I agree that location would suck .. either wind borne sand or mud if those clouds opened up. Any location remotely close to that would only get tripods with tops .. little need for subs outside anyway unless you have a lot of them.

I don't think any of us would have set up there, so like you said, a good teaching moment for your son.
I also agree with Steve - two speakers on sticks, but outside from under the canopy. - the sound carries much better. Black plastic bag them when the rain comes.

Picky is an accusatory term.

Like Ross so adroitly offered, a considered, intelligent and purposeful practice regarding this issue is warranted and advised.

If you wish to categorize that as picky, you are free to espouse and rely on such a characterization...to your own detriment.

My equipment (mostly cases and bags) get dirt and dried grass on them from doing outside gigs. Had one last week where I accidentally spilled my coke which didn't take long to dry up in the sun. But when I was packing up there were ants all over my speaker stand bag and one of the cases!

I've had to set up in places I didn't like but nothing quite like the OP photo. My choice is to always set up right in front of the dance floor, but some venues have their own way of doing things.

I have to admit, it was a mistake to send the Bose. This ball field had a concession building in the center with 4 fields surrounding it. In hindsight, I should have sent a pair of tops on stands and the DJ should have been setup under the overhang on the concession stand with speakers pointing out towards the fields. That freakin red dirt is all in my equipment and I've got to buy some canned air today to blow out the laptops (2). Lesson learned (I hope).

Reactions: DJ Bobcat
He he...........I left off a little side note to my story. At the end of the gig, everyone had gone except for 2 guys doing batting practice, over at the next field while we were busy trying to clean dirt off cables/computers/equipment. The guy batting kept fouling balls, which were hitting all around us. In a moment of childish annoyance I went out on the field, picked up the balls that had almost hit us and threw them in the garbage can in the dugout. About the time we were loading out, they came over, looking for their balls. It was enjoyable, watching them search to no avail. Ask me if I told them where their baseballs were...............

Reactions: Ausumm
He he...........I left off a little side note to my story. At the end of the gig, everyone had gone except for 2 guys doing batting practice, over at the next field while we were busy trying to clean dirt off cables/computers/equipment. The guy batting kept fouling balls, which were hitting all around us. In a moment of childish annoyance I went out on the field, picked up the balls that had almost hit us and threw them in the garbage can in the dugout. About the time we were loading out, they came over, looking for their balls. It was enjoyable, watching them search to no avail. Ask me if I told them where their baseballs were...............

That's very childish and not even funny. Imagine if somebody had taken your microphone when your kid wasn't looking and threw it in the trash. A baseball may only cost a few dollars, but it's somebody's property. Rick, you're a jerk.

That's very childish...
Naw, ya think?

shocked-i-am-not.jpg

That's very childish and not even funny. Imagine if somebody had taken your microphone when your kid wasn't looking and threw it in the trash. A baseball may only cost a few dollars, but it's somebody's property. Rick, you're a jerk.

I'm not defending him - but he did say 'in a moment of childish annoyance'. I agree that if the tables were turned, he would have been very angry. I also agree that it's not funny.

Last edited:
I'm not defending him - but he did say 'in a moment of childish annoyance'. I agree that if the tables were turned, he would have been very angry. I also agree that it's not funny.
Only a child can get dispensation for a "moment of childish annoyance."

Karma, deliver your verdict.

I've had two instances that made me feel better about asking for a "better spot".
One venue had a huge stage that was at least 5-feet off the dance floor.
I set up on the stage every time I played there for years.
The last time I was there, they were under new management...
so I asked if I could set up on the floor, instead.
One was in a recent gig report, the vineyard that had a balcony on the second floor, over looking the seating area.
I had never been there before, and would probably never be there again...
so I simply asked if I could move to the dance floor.
Both times, the manager said...."wherever you like".
All this time I was afraid to ask. (for some stupid, unknown reason)

Reactions: ittigger
I've never refused to set up at a particular location, however I have discussed a better location a few times. In this situation I probably would have suggested a different spot. You mentioned it was only his 2nd gig. So it's not totally his fault. Something you should have brought to his attention before ever going to the site.

Secondly, I've been in worse places for an event than your situation and the equipment survived quite easily. You should only be happy that there wasn't a large amount of wind.

1 or 2 balls almost hit you, okay, it happens. 6 balls, all that come within a few feet of hitting you? That's intentional. You might be a wimp and put up with crap like that. I don't. Screw'em.

The way you phrased this was that these 2 guys were having batting practice and 1 guy kept fouling resulting in the balls coming in your direction. I didn't read that they were intentionally hitting them in your direction, aiming them at you or your equipment.

That said, I've seen semi professional and professional players consistently hit foul balls. I don't think they do it intentionally.

The way you phrased this was that these 2 guys were having batting practice and 1 guy kept fouling resulting in the balls coming in your direction. I didn't read that they were intentionally hitting them in your direction, aiming them at you or your equipment.

That said, I've seen semi professional and professional players consistently hit foul balls. I don't think they do it intentionally.

It's hard for me to believe that 6 can land within 10 feet of each other.

1 or 2 balls almost hit you, okay, it happens. 6 balls, all that come within a few feet of hitting you? That's intentional. You might be a wimp and put up with crap like that. I don't. Screw'em.
You were in a baseball complex, right?

From pure presumption to Screw'em...Karma, you readin' that?