Saw my first I9 laptop. I am speechless

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
I just want to remind everyone to make sure you turn all of your computers off on New Years Eve before Mid Night! Let's not contribute to a world wide Network Crash going into 2019! :)

Also, I must say that if you can't get buy with a Pentium processor, 810 MB Hard Drive, 6X speed CD Rom, and 32 MB of Ram then you are way too needy! If you would have bought this back in 1996, and still used it today you would have only spent about $9.46 per month to own this fine piece of machinery! Toshiba Laptop! :)
If you only needed 100 songs, had no need for USB, and used Windows Media Player (or whatever the equivalent was then) .. it would probably still work. Working pros probably changed it out within 4-5 years like they do today, since technology and functionality march on ..

And that $2500 is probably close to $4-5K in today's dollars.

Reactions: ittigger
How many here would buy that laptop paying that much?

I certainly wouldn't.
But I'm not the intended audience. This type of computer in this time window sells like a drug to addicted gamers.

When you buy at the edge of the curve you buy problems - all the hardware and software issues that have yet to be discovered let alone resolved. The lack of productivity that results from being among the initial guinea pigs is not worth paying a premium for. (Of course, productivity has never been the hallmark of gamers.)

The other issue is how much computing is enough? For the most part - the actual processing required for what average people want out of a computer was surpassed a long time ago. What we pay for now is ever more complex display and enhancements that benefit advertising and tracking - hence the move to the cloud. Our computers are now designed around distraction, control, and manipulation rather than our actual computing needs.

Last edited:
I certainly wouldn't.
But I'm not the intended audience. This type of computer in this time window sells like a drug to addicted gamers.

When you buy at the edge of the curve you buy problems - all the hardware and software issues that have yet to be discovered let alone resolved. The lack of productivity that results from being among the initial guinea pigs is not worth paying a premium for.

The other issue is how much computing is enough? For the most part - the actual processing required for what people want out of a computer was surpassed a long time ago. What we pay for now is ever more complex display and enhancements that benefit advertising and tracking - hence the move to the cloud. Our computers are now designed around distraction, control, and manipulation rather than our actual computing needs.
For DJ work, we passed the knee of the curve years ago .. almost anything works.
For video processing, we're still on the cusp.
For artificial intelligence, analytics, and mining needs, there will be room on the bleeding edge for some time. Gaming (especially ones that strive for immersive reality) are among those that good enough still isn't here.
Whether its all worth the cost .. YMMV.

I had a Pentium 166 MHZ Compaq Presario back in the day. It came with a pair of SWEET JBL Computer speakers. My mom still uses those speakers on her Desktop today! They sounded amazing back then, and got quite loud.

I would play Command and Conquer Red Alert on it...one of my favorite video games. I also played StarCraft on it. Those games had pretty good video rendering back then for the cinema scenes. I also played F-22 Raptor, and had a $79.99 Joystick to play that game on. It was a good flight simulator for the time. Wing Commander 3 Prophecies was another one. The guy who played Bick Biff whatever his name was (The Bully) in the Back to the Future movies was an actor in the scenes on that video game.

Diablo 2 was another game...DOOM 2...another early first person shooter. Wolfenstien 3D...The original 1st person shooter game. Those games were AWESOME back then, and a Pentium processor ran them beautifully. Most of those games could run on 16 MB of Ram, but more ram was always better. No need to have a 1 GB hard drive. ...Now we have 1 TB and more hard drives, and games take up a crazy amount of space compared to 15 + years ago. .

Back then, when I heard of machines with 256MB of Ram, I thought "Why in the world would you need so much ram???" ...Now, 2 or 3 GB of Ram isn't enough for anything other than basic programs, and basic internet browsing. ...Which is what you could do back in the day with 32 MB of Ram on your machine no problem.

...So somehow programs, and the internet was designed to require more memory on purpose to keep things moving along even though this stuff did not really need more power to be able to be used. They just manipulated the programming that way t keep the populous spending more money as time marches on...

You should have seen my first cellphone. It was prepaid and it was so big that it was about the size of the phone that Maxwell Smart used in Get Smart.

With that being said first things first. When is the last time you saw a phone that you used coins to make a call? What I find is some people feel they have to have the latest thing as soon as it comes out. People were going nuts when the first iPhone came out. That phone was $500. People were preordering that phone or standing in line for a long time to get that phone. Just because now you could get online with a cellphone. I waited till the price dropped down to $100. You probably can't even find that phone today.

How's about this. Originally a cellphone was designed so you could make a call without having to use a pay phone to make a call. Thus making a pay phone obsolete. How many of you actually use a cellphone to make a call? Back to that issue with wanting the latest thing when it comes out. Is there a time when what you have will be good enough and you won't feel like you need the latest thing? I only upgraded my cellphone because my S6 stopped working properly. If I could have gotten another one for even less money than what I paid for the first one I bought, I would have settled for that.

You should have seen my first cellphone. It was prepaid and it was so big that it was about the size of the phone that Maxwell Smart used in Get Smart.

With that being said first things first. When is the last time you saw a phone that you used coins to make a call? What I find is some people feel they have to have the latest thing as soon as it comes out. People were going nuts when the first iPhone came out. That phone was $500. People were preordering that phone or standing in line for a long time to get that phone. Just because now you could get online with a cellphone. I waited till the price dropped down to $100. You probably can't even find that phone today.

How's about this. Originally a cellphone was designed so you could make a call without having to use a pay phone to make a call. Thus making a pay phone obsolete. How many of you actually use a cellphone to make a call? Back to that issue with wanting the latest thing when it comes out. Is there a time when what you have will be good enough and you won't feel like you need the latest thing? I only upgraded my cellphone because my S6 stopped working properly. If I could have gotten another one for even less money than what I paid for the first one I bought, I would have settled for that.

As long as you're happy with your phone why upgrade. I have an Iphone 6 with128 gig of storage I plan on keeping this one until there isn't a breath in it...Which if apples game plan is on will be another 2 years. I had my Iphone 4 for almost 5 years before this one when apps wouldn't update I upgraded but I waited for a zero dollar deal, which isn't really a zero dollar deal, but can be close if you negotiate right.

For DJ work, we passed the knee of the curve years ago .. almost anything works.
For video processing, we're still on the cusp.
For artificial intelligence, analytics, and mining needs, there will be room on the bleeding edge for some time. Gaming (especially ones that strive for immersive reality) are among those that good enough still isn't here.
Whether its all worth the cost .. YMMV.

I ran Traktor on a stick PC (quad core Atom processor) without even so much as a hiccup (a couple of years ago I think)...

9b82bf06a93c4a6cb4f9f4ee9b5ce750.jpg

... Never had the guts to actually use it for a gig, but it would likely work. I bought that stick PC in 2015... used in my bedroom for a while, but swapped it out for a more conventional small form factor PC. The problem with a stick PC is that it has a limited number of USB ports, so you end up with a USB hub and lots of wires going to the attached peripherals. The stick PC is in one of my computer parts drawers right now. I need to pull it out and let Windows 10 updates run on it, ‘cause it has been a year or so since its last update.[emoji4]

Last edited:
Whenever I upgrade my desktop I usually have to upgrade a few programs too. My DAW doesn't have any free upgrades. So any time I have to upgrade it costs $195. More RAM, faster clockrate, processing power, etc. sure is nice to have though.

I would play Command and Conquer Red Alert on it...one of my favorite video games. I also played StarCraft on it. Those games had pretty good video rendering back then for the cinema scenes. I also played F-22 Raptor, and had a $79.99 Joystick to play that game on. It was a good flight simulator for the time. Wing Commander 3 Prophecies was another one. The guy who played Bick Biff whatever his name was (The Bully) in the Back to the Future movies was an actor in the scenes on that video game.

Diablo 2 was another game...DOOM 2...another early first person shooter. Wolfenstien 3D...The original 1st person shooter game. Those games were AWESOME back then, and a Pentium processor ran them beautifully. Most of those games could run on 16 MB of Ram, but more ram was always better. No need to have a 1 GB hard drive. ...Now we have 1 TB and more hard drives, and games take up a crazy amount of space compared to 15 + years ago. .

Back then, when I heard of machines with 256MB of Ram, I thought "Why in the world would you need so much ram???" ...Now, 2 or 3 GB of Ram isn't enough for anything other than basic programs, and basic internet browsing. ...Which is what you could do back in the day with 32 MB of Ram on your machine no problem.

...So somehow programs, and the internet was designed to require more memory on purpose to keep things moving along even though this stuff did not really need more power to be able to be used. They just manipulated the programming that way t keep the populous spending more money as time marches on...

I played those games too. :)

The Internet was not designed to require more memory as the 'Internet' requires no memory. The OS and applications (programs) do.

Last edited:
I ran Traktor on a stick PC (quad core Atom processor) without even so much as a hiccup (a couple of years ago I think)...

9b82bf06a93c4a6cb4f9f4ee9b5ce750.jpg

... Never had the guts to actually use it for a gig, but it would likely work. I bought that stick PC in 2015... used in my bedroom for a while, but swapped it out for a more conventional small form factor PC. The problem with a stick PC is that it has a limited number of USB ports, so you end up with a USB hub and lots of wires going to the attached peripherals. The stick PC is in one of my computer parts drawers right now. I need to pull it out and let Windows 10 updates run on it, ‘cause it has been a year or so since its last update.[emoji4]

I pulled the stick PC out and hooked it all up (monitor, DVI to HDMI adapter, USB hub, USB Ethernet adapter, USB sound card, Keyboard/Mouse USB Nano receiver, and power strip for 3 power blocks). Not exactly a big space saver when you add all that stuff. At least the little MeeGo has two USB ports, which is one more than my Surface Pro tablet. I could probably manage without the USB hub by connecting one of the stick PC’s USB ports to the built-in USB ports of the Dell monitor I’m using for a display. Not really an easy way to hide all the little components and cables though. Everything works, but it’s still on build 1709 of Windows 10. I’ve left it on, so hopefully it will update shortly. Given all the external stuff you have to add to get all the features you’d want, I can’t envision a way to use this with a DJ system, even though it easily runs Traktor. It’s just kind of a mess.[emoji1] Fun toy though.

I pulled the stick PC out and hooked it all up (monitor, DVI to HDMI adapter, USB hub, USB Ethernet adapter, USB sound card, Keyboard/Mouse USB Nano receiver, and power strip for 3 power blocks). Not exactly a big space saver when you add all that stuff. At least the little MeeGo has two USB ports, which is one more than my Surface Pro tablet. I could probably manage without the USB hub by connecting one of the stick PC’s USB ports to the built-in USB ports of the Dell monitor I’m using for a display. Not really an easy way to hide all the little components and cables though. Everything works, but it’s still on build 1709 of Windows 10. I’ve left it on, so hopefully it will update shortly. Given all the external stuff you have to add to get all the features you’d want, I can’t envision a way to use this with a DJ system, even though it easily runs Traktor. It’s just kind of a mess.[emoji1] Fun toy though.

The way I lose USB sticks I'd have to carry that in a metal amp case LOL

My latest desktop purchase is a 6 year old refurb. It was six and change. Some people think I'm nuts for shelling out more for a refurb than they can buy a brand new laptop for. These are the same people who's laptops are often on my desk with complaints that it's ridiculously slow.

When making any large purchase you have know what you *need* vs. what you want. I don't need that much processing horsepower for my work. The majority of what I do is text based. Most processor intensive stuff that I do is done on a server. I do need a lot of RAM for virtual machines and 50+ browsers tabs (not necessary but often happens). The 16GB RAM this desktop came with out of the box is still on the higher end of installed RAM even for brand new machines.

Sure, it's a six year old machine it's not going to win any contests but it's by no means obsolete for my purposes. For Cap's video editing it's nearly obsolete. When just running Windows and a browser becomes too burdensome on the processor (still a long way off) it'll be a dedicated Linux box so long as it's still running.

more-power.jpg

Sure everyone wants more power. My guess would with that laptop for all but the most serious video editor/gamer that processor is idle or under clocked to save power 90% of the time.

I edit video. Every squeezed inch of speed is time saved. I love efficiency and saving time and when the cost vs time tips in favor of this I9, I'm on it.
Yes, I love how much faster I am able to edit videos on the new laptop( with some upgrades I made to it) , and its not so much the actual editing part thanks to shadow files , its the rendering times that I am noticing are not taking as long.

I remember years ago on one of these forums someone said you're not a real DJ unless you're using a Mac to DJ with. What if you use a Macbook and don't know what you're doing? A Macbook won't make you a good or great DJ. It's just a tool you can use.

A Macbook won't make you a good or great DJ. It's just a tool you can use.
That's true with anything materialistic any profession has at hand.

The Mac vs PC debate/controversy is an ongoing crock of male bovine excrement dating back to when Adam was coerced into taking that bite from the infamous apple (thus the "i Apple" trademark), now a constant grim reminder of our fall from grace. That's also when Eve said the PC made her do it.

Both were expelled from heaven and were sent to an Amazon warehouse where Adam is required to use a MacBook Un-Pro and Eve a Windows 95 PC, the Anti-Christ's (the devil who now calls himself the Internet) dwelling place of keyboard gnashing, hard drive wailing, and 100 trillion spam emails from Nigeria, just like us.

Thanks a lot, Adam.

I remember years ago on one of these forums someone said you're not a real DJ unless you're using a Mac to DJ with. ...

I’ve come to realize that REAL DJ’s don’t have to tell other DJ’s what brands of gear they should use.[emoji1]

The computer(s) I use are important because the software won’t run without one, but frankly they do very little. My controller handles the audio and mixing, so the computer essentially used for a music library. Pretty much any computer that runs Traktor would work for me. There are controllers that don’t even need a computer, like the Denon MCX8000 and Pioneer XDJ-RX. Are DJ’s who use turntables and vinyl with a mixer and no computer not real DJ’s? If you use NO computer are you not a DJ at all (real or otherwise)???

In another forum, if you didn’t use a Pioneer controller, you were not a REAL DJ. I bought a Pioneer controller; not because I thought it would make me a REAL DJ, but simply to see what was so special about them. Guess what??? There was nothing special about it.[emoji1] I never used it for anything but as a backup. It’s a fine controller, but I liked my VMS 4.1 better.

A REAL DJ is a REAL person who plays recorded music for a live audience.

That's true with anything materialistic any profession has at hand.

The Mac vs PC debate/controversy is an ongoing crock of male bovine excrement dating back to when Adam was coerced into taking that bite from the infamous apple (thus the "i Apple" trademark), now a constant grim reminder of our fall from grace. That's also when Eve said the PC made her do it.

Both were expelled from heaven and were sent to an Amazon warehouse where Adam is required to use a MacBook Un-Pro and Eve a Windows 95 PC, the Anti-Christ's (the devil who now calls himself the Internet) dwelling place of keyboard gnashing, hard drive wailing, and 100 trillion spam emails from Nigeria, just like us.

Thanks a lot, Adam.
0341eb5d8fc0ba89b5f053c7db291053.jpg

...especially paragraph #3. LOL, Bravo!

I told my partner about the laptop costing $4,999 and he told me about one that cost 9k. He said it has 4 and 2 TB loaded in it and 40 gigs. Only way I could buy that one is if I hit the Power Ball or Mega Millions. I would buy 2. One for backup. I would love to see what it looks like.
If you would listen to the advice given to you on this forum thousands of times you could grow your business and easily figure the cost of it into your business plan

If you would listen to the advice given to you on this forum thousands of times you could grow your business and easily figure the cost of it into your business plan
It's probably a great laptop which for that price it should be. I wouldn't buy it because I would have no need for it and I would use that much money to buy other things for the business. Someone out there feels that laptop is worth the money. Not me. Personally I say they make certain things for suckers to buy so they get their summer home paid for or Rolls Royce.