Weddings Same Sex Wedding Etiquette and Advice Needed

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

camarofleet

DJ Extraordinaire
Jun 26, 2018
I have my first same sex wedding coming up this weekend. Final consult to take place with them to go over forms, pronunciations, playlists tomorrow night. I would like to make sure I give them a solid performance. That being said, to make sure I don't inappropriately cross any boundaries or say anything they may find offensive, can anyone spare some advice on the following:

How do you broach the subject of how they would like to be introduced? What suggestions should I make for their introduction? For example, would they be addressed as "Mrs. and Mrs.", simply by their names or something else typically?

Is there anything else I may need to be aware of when making announcements, addressing people etc.? How do you define partner 1 and partner 2's side (which otherwise would be bridesmaids and groomsmen).

Are there any known "no-nos" I haven't thought of?

Is there anything extra special I can do for this couple to make their night memorable (special dances, announcements etc.)?

Thanks.

How do you broach the subject of how they would like to be introduced? What suggestions should I make for their introduction? For example, would they be addressed as "Mrs. and Mrs.", simply by their names or something else typically?
The best approach I've seen is to ask them directly how they want to be introduced, same as you should for any other similar event.

Is there anything else I may need to be aware of when making announcements, addressing people etc.? How do you define partner 1 and partner 2's side (which otherwise would be bridesmaids and groomsmen).
Again, ask them. For the ones I've done, it's almost always been by using their first names. I've still had groomsmen and bridesmaids. I've also had nothing but bridesmaids .. and also had flower guys, girl ring bearers, etc.

Are there any known "no-nos" I haven't thought of?
They may or may not have 'traditional events'. Stay away from genderizing things.

Is there anything extra special I can do for this couple to make their night memorable (special dances, announcements etc.)?
Be yourself and perform as you normally would. Make them and their guests comfortable without going overboard - again, as you normally would. It really is just another event.

Last edited:
Before I retired, I did two of them. Both were really fun events where everyone was loose and ready for fun - nobody seemed uptight.

But yes, ask them how they want to be introduced and from there, treat them like you would any other client.

That will be appreciated.

Reactions: ittigger
Just ask them! Best advice. Please do ask about any music that may be offensive (not talking about swear words). And, be sure to ask about their favorite artists and songs. Once they've spoken, you should know where you stand, no pun intended.

Reactions: Ausumm and ittigger
I've done two, and the BEST way to handle it is..... how the couple wants to handle it.
Have a nice, long, HONEST talk with them in advance,
and ask them all of the questions you need to ask. (How do you want to be introduced)
Obviously telling them you simply want to make them happy...
and don't want to SAY or DO something that would offend them (or their guests)
Don't ASSUME anything.