Sale on Dell Laptop - Touchscreen/i5-8250/8Gb RAM/1Tb HD - $499

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

steve149

Shine on you crazy diamond
Staff member
Sep 26, 2011
Connecticut
First, a Dell Inspiron 15 5570 Laptop: 15.6'' FHD IPS Touch, i5-8250U, 8GB DDR4, 1TB HDD on sale for $499. Shipping is free

Basic i5 processor and on chip graphics, so probably not a good candidate for the video guys, but it's a current gen processor .. and it has a optical drive if you still need one.

Buy Dell Inspiron 15 i5570-5364SLV-PUS Laptop - Microsoft Store
  • Windows 10 Home 64 Bit
  • 15.6" 1080P IPS Touchscreen Display
  • Core i5-8250U Quad 1.6 GHz (3.4 GHz Turbo, 6MB Cache)
  • 8GB DDR4 2400 MHz Ram
  • 1TB Hard Drive
  • DVD-RW
  • Intel UHD 620 Graphics
  • Backlit Keyboard
  • Dual Band 802.11ac WiFi + Bluetooth 4.2 + Gigabit Ethernet
  • Ports:
    • 2x USB 3.0
    • 1x USB 2.0
    • 1x HDMI 1.4b
    • 1x 3-in-1 Card Reader
  • 3 Cell 42 WHr Li-Ion Battery
  • 4.85 lbs / 2.20 kg
0&m=6&h=423&w=752&b=%23FFFFFFFF&f=jpg&o=f&aim=true.jpg

Next,

Reactions: Dan The Man
Great price... good specs. Would make a decent DJ computer for anyone who needed one.[emoji4] I think I'll stick with my NANO computers, though.[emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: steve149
Is hard drive speed more of an issue these days or is more stuff cached in (the now larger) RAM? For quite a few years I've stayed away from 5400 RPM drives like the plague. On most lower end laptops I've used the drive speed was a major bottleneck.

I like the SSHD drives, like the Seagate FireCuda. You still have the 5400RPM hard drive, but has a small amount of NAMD flash to cache the most frequently accessed data at high-speed.

A lot of people are using SSD's, thinking they're faster and last last longer. They're faster, without a doubt, but last longer?... Maybe not. SSD's are great for storage that is not frequently erased and rewritten. Music libraries are a good use for SSD's. However, there are limits on the number of rewrites to SSD's before they degrade.

I like the SSHD drives, like the Seagate FireCuda. You still have the 5400RPM hard drive, but has a small amount of NAMD flash to cache the most frequently accessed data at high-speed.

A lot of people are using SSD's, thinking they're faster and last last longer. They're faster, without a doubt, but last longer?... Maybe not. SSD's are great for storage that is not frequently erased and rewritten. Music libraries are a good use for SSD's. However, there are limits on the number of rewrites to SSD's before they degrade.
I've been thinking of going the SSHD route for my next laptop but if possible 7200RPM. I have a 500GB SSD in my current laptop. It's definitely faster than the 72oo RPM drive but after 25 months every SMART status tells tales of impending doom. :sqeek:

Attachments

• smartstatus.png
    smartstatus.png
    25.4 KB · Views: 5
Reactions: DJ Bobcat
I've been thinking of going the SSHD route for my next laptop but if possible 7200RPM. I have a 500GB SSD in my current laptop. It's definitely faster than the 72oo RPM drive but after 25 months every SMART status tells tales of impending doom. :sqeek:

I think SSD's are becoming more and more mainstream - but I think they still have a ways to go before they're as reliable as the platters.

Is hard drive speed more of an issue these days or is more stuff cached in (the now larger) RAM? For quite a few years I've stayed away from 5400 RPM drives like the plague. On most lower end laptops I've used the drive speed was a major bottleneck.

I don't think it's noticeable unless you have a high demand for processing, such as gaming or multi video systems.

My new Dells (Inspiron 15 7570) both have 1TB & 8GB hybrid drives and were noticeably faster on startup, but I still added 500GB SSDs to them for the OS and non-audio files. Once you move to an SSD, everything else seems so slow.

Maybe there's less bloatware too - that adds to the nonsense. The worst thing about Windows is the Registry / Hive. When you install something, it all gets listed there (and other places). When you uninstall something, it's still there (and other places too). If you install / uninstall alot, the best thing you can do for yourself is make an image of your machine when it's new, fast and fresh. In a few years, reload the image - and it'll be new, fast and fresh all over again.