Reworking My Large System

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
Guys....come on....all we're doin' here is playing friggin' music.:djsmug:

It's like puttin' a Corvette in a soap box derby race...:cheers:
Yea .. but who doesn't want to see that .. :)

Guys....come on....all we're doin' here is playing friggin' music.:djsmug:

It's like puttin' a Corvette in a soap box derby race...:cheers:

It's more like continuously improving your soap box derby car so it has a chance of winning. I want my system to sound good; sure. I also want to be able to set up easily, and in the shortest possible time, and to tear down in a short time as well. A little bit of cool factor is OK too. Like someone pointed out earlier, I could probably just use my small system and be OK for most gigs. That wouldn't give me the piece of mind of having failure contingencies, and I think it would short-change my clients.

I'll probably continue to add, replace, and improve my systems every year until I stop DJing... not trying to get bigger, but get better and faster. I must say, though, for me this is all part of the fun. When it's not fun and engaging anymore, I'll stop.[emoji4]

I know it seems like all I'm doing is talking about issues and obstacles, and that's because that's exactly what I'm doing. Get them all out on the table, then we can address them.

The next issue is; MICROPHONES.

In my small system, I have a single Bogen gooseneck microphone attached to Mic 1 on the controller... Then I have my GTD Audio dual wireless microphone system attached to Mic 2 on the controller. Since I have no external mixer, individual control of the wireless mics must be done from the GTD Audio System.

I like the Bogen mic, but there is one drawback... NO backup. I could fix that by getting another gooseneck mic, or I could get simply get a tabletop mic stand and have one of my wired mics on hand as a backup. The wireless mics are in that 610-680MHz range, so they'll need replacing soon.

My large system has two wired mics and four wireless mics. The GTD Audio B-33 system is new, so should be good for a while, but has no lav mics and none are available for this system. I have a single Audio Technica lav mic I can plug into the Mic 2 port of my controller. Interestingly, I have a nice Sennheiser wired mic, but prefer an old Radio Shack wired mic I bought many, many years ago. It sounds better than any of my other mics.[emoji1]The mic stand on my Large system is actually of the gooseneck variety, and mounted to the bottom of my controller case. It just barely fits between the headphone jack and the controls on the front of the controller.

So what's the issue, you ask?[emoji1] It's how do I mount the DJ's mic in this new rack? Do I do it like I did on my small system, or do I try to mount it somewhere on the new slant-top rack?

I'd be interested in hearing how others have set up their microphones??? Maybe your way is better than mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: ittigger
I don't use a gooseneck .. I have 2, one mounted on a base with an on temporary button (I use occasionally when I announce a sports event) .. the other plugs into an XLR (there is one on my Rane mixer on top. I don't like the way they look, so opt for a wired or wireless on the table.

In the new system, I will have 1 wireless receiver in each of the 2 top boxes, 2 in the rolling base unit, and 2-3 more in my 6U wireless case (probably won't get much use). I have 6 AT3000 receivers, 4 handhelds and 4 body packs I have bought over the years. I may go to a bodypack for me with a Countryman headset I have. I also have a single Shure mic I will stick in the mix.

I will also setup the lower unit for a couple wired mics .. and the tops will have one XLR each.

So the Denon MC6000 by itself will have 1 wired and 1 wireless option, the same with the Rane/Denon, and the rolling base will have the rest I would normally ever need.

The wireless rack will fill in if that is the only additional item I need is a couple more wireless mics.

Back on the racks .. here is most of the contenders for my lower rack (missing a Sennheiser wireless IEM transmitter, some power conditioners, Rane MP4 and Rolls line mixer).

The stuff on the right may not make the cut .. the stuff on the left will mostly be there.

IMG_1438.JPG IMG_1437.JPG

Last edited:
Back on the racks .. here is most of the contenders for my lower rack (missing a Sennheiser wireless IEM transmitter, some power conditioners, Rane MP4 and Rolls line mixer).

The stuff on the right may not make the cut .. the stuff on the left will mostly be there.

Not sure what all ya got there... Describe please?
img_1438-jpg.33581

Not sure what all ya got there... Describe please?
img_1438-jpg.33581
Top to bottom:

Behringer XR12 Digital Mixer - would go on back rails of case .. controlled either by laptop or iPad
Lexicon MX200 - Dual Effect processor. I use this for adding reverb to mics. If I route the mics to the Behringer, I won't need this
Rane MLM42S - 4 channel mic/line mixer. Plan on running mics to this (if I don't use Behringer mic inputs) to get 3 band EQ on each input
Sabine FBX2400 - 2 channel feedback reducer. Will probably go on just the mic inputs - 1 from the Rane, 1 other
(2) Audio Technica 3000 series wireless mic receivers
Ashly LX-308B stereo line mixer w/ (2) mic channels. This will probably NOT go in the rolling rack, but will most likely replace the Rolls mixer in my smallest (non-controller) setup
SPL Virtualizer - a fancy sound processing unit (think BBE on steroids)
Denon DN-300Z Media player - CD, Radio, USB/SD, and BT player
dbx DriveRack 260 - more features than my current DR PA .. especially the ability to add delays to each of the 6 outputs so I can use remote speakers.

Top to bottom:

Behringer XR12 Digital Mixer - would go on back rails of case .. controlled either by laptop or iPad
Lexicon MX200 - Dual Effect processor. I use this for adding reverb to mics. If I route the mics to the Behringer, I won't need this
Rane MLM42S - 4 channel mic/line mixer. Plan on running mics to this (if I don't use Behringer mic inputs) to get 3 band EQ on each input
Sabine FBX2400 - 2 channel feedback reducer. Will probably go on just the mic inputs - 1 from the Rane, 1 other
(2) Audio Technica 3000 series wireless mic receivers
Ashly LX-308B stereo line mixer w/ (2) mic channels. This will probably NOT go in the rolling rack, but will most likely replace the Rolls mixer in my smallest (non-controller) setup
SPL Virtualizer - a fancy sound processing unit (think BBE on steroids)
Denon DN-300Z Media player - CD, Radio, USB/SD, and BT player
dbx DriveRack 260 - more features than my current DR PA .. especially the ability to add delays to each of the 6 outputs so I can use remote speakers.

Thassalotta stuff![emoji1]... By my count, looks like 8U with 3 on the back side. Is that correct? I do understand there's a couple of either/or options.

Thassalotta stuff![emoji1]... By my count, looks like 8U with 3 on the back side. Is that correct? I do understand there's a couple of either/or options.

Got to fit in a power conditioner and the IEM transmitter (used for remote wireless speakers). Would like at least a 2U drawer if possible. The Denon media player is real deep, so nothing can be behind it .. same with a drawer ... decisions, decisions ...

Got to fit in a power conditioner and the IEM transmitter (used for remote wireless speakers). Would like at least a 2U drawer if possible. The Denon media player is real deep, so nothing can be behind it .. same with a drawer ... decisions, decisions ...

I know... I'm having the same kind of issues. I think I have a few things worked out in my head, but nothing actually purchased or assembled yet.

Unfortunately, today, I'm having PC problems too. My 1U rack-mounted video/light control PC suddenly won't get past the BIOS configuration screen. I think I have a motherboard problem. I can make it boot by selecting the boot drive in the boot order screen, but it goes back to the same splash screen every time. I changed out the CMOS battery and switched enough stuff around to know it's not the hard drive or SATA ports. It seems to want to boot from a USB device, even if they're all disabled.[emoji37]

If the Nano PC works out, I'm gonna replace this computer with it anyway, but I still want to use this one for a home server.

Last edited:
Let's see... Where am I on this project?:-/... Not far, but there has been a little progress. I purchased the racks... bought the ones Steve149 was selling...

SKB R104 Slant Top Mixer Case
SKB R1906 6U Expander case with Casters (brand new)

https://ourdjtalk.com/threads/lots-of-stuff-for-sale.47820/

... scheduled to arrive on Wednesday.

Bought a Nano PC, which hopefully will work for replacing my rack-mounted computers. The PC has shipped and is also scheduled to arrive on Wednesday. Need to get this thing and get it tested pretty quickly, while I can still get another one. These kinds of PC's are changing so quickly, the availability doesn't last very long.

Working on a deal for another Denon MC6000MK2 for $350. I'm optimistic, but if it doesn't work out, I can always get a new one in the $600 range. That would cut into my budget quite a bit, though. I've already spent over $500, and I've barely started.

Unfortunately, had a bit of a setback when my rack-mounted video/light control PC started acting weird. I'm hoping the Nano PC works out so I can replace this PC too, but I want to re-purpose this one as a home server. So I ordered a replacement motherboard. Hasn't shipped yet. Was lucky to get a new one of the same motherboard. The model is no longer being manufactured.

Not much more I can do for now except continue to research options and make further plans. Progress seems slow right now, but it will pick up next week, after I get some of the major components.

Last edited:
Just coming to terms with some of the ramifications of my Large System Reworking Project... Having Denon MC6000MK2's in both my small and large systems makes good practical sense. Consistency is good. Being able to use one as a backup for the other is really more ideal than what I'm doing now, plus having them mounted in the racks makes setup easier than having to set up a separate controller case.

But sadly, that means my beloved American Audio VMS 4.1 is no longer needed. I suppose I'll sell it, and the same for my Pioneer DDJ-T1. Both great controllers. There was always one serious downside to using the Pioneer as a backup for the American Audio, and that was the reconfiguration time required after switching out... Traktor doesn't just recognize the controller change and reconfigure itself. I don't use the Pioneer often, so selling it won't be difficult, but the VMS 4.1 has been my primary controller for 3 years. It's rock solid and just feels comfortable to me. It will be tough to part with. However, I can't keep it... just too much gear to store.[emoji853]

...Denon DN-300Z Media player - CD, Radio, USB/SD, and BT player...

Oooo... There's something I didn't think about... playing a CD. My rack mount PC's have CD/DVD drives in them, Nano PC's don't. I would have no way to play a CD unless I add some way to do it. I have an external USB CD/DVD drive I could just plug into a Nano PC if I need it. It hasn't been necessary (to play a CD) in the 3 years I've been DJing. Buying something like a Denon DN-300Z probably doesn't make much sense for me, just to have a CD player I may never use?[emoji848]I think the Z300 is cool, though.

What is the purpose of the big system vs the small system

Big system is used with dance lights; has light controller and second rack-mounted computer for DMX; has 4 wireless mic system instead of two; has external 10 channel mixer with Bluetooth; and has eight speaker connections; . Small system can be can be carried, but only has two speaker connections;no light controller; no external mixer; and only 2 wireless mics. The small system was only intended for small events and house parties.

With the new racks I bought from Steve149, it should be possible to use the top slant-top 4U rack separately, so it would be pretty similar to my small system.