Reworking My Large System

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
I put 2 coats on the board today, but it was REALLY windy as well. Will do a final coat tomorrow in case I missed some spots.

I put 2 coats on the board today, but it was REALLY windy as well. Will do a final coat tomorrow in case I missed some spots.

I know I missed some spots as well. It's gonna take another coat on a couple of the pieces. Most of the pieces I painted are gonna be where most people will NEVER see them. I could just let it go, but the OCD won't let me.[emoji1]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know I missed some spots as well. It's gonna take another coat on a couple of the pieces. Most of the pieces I painted are gonna be where most people will NEVER see them. I could just let it go, but the OCD won't let me.[emoji1]

Same here .. the top of the board will be bolted to the case .. the bottom .. well, it's the bottom. Not OCD, just being ... thorough ...

Reactions: DJ Bobcat
I put the casters on my new board .. placed it on the case .. and then realized .. CRAP .. my case has no rear rails. I need a few things mounted on the other side, so now I need a new case.

I put the casters on my new board .. placed it on the case .. and then realized .. CRAP .. my case has no rear rails. I need a few things mounted on the other side, so now I need a new case.

Can you mount rails in the case like I did with my small system case?...
1524490092566.png
... or set rails in it like I'm doing with the SKB R104 I bought from you?...
1524490175532.png
Neither had rails, but I don't like that open back look.

Bobcat, you've done a fabulous job of modifying the case for Monitor mounting, in my opinion. Good looking job.

Bobcat, you've done a fabulous job of modifying the case for Monitor mounting, in my opinion. Good looking job.

Thanks.[emoji4] That's actually a Dell All-In-One computer, so monitor and computer combined. I like it a lot, but it's heavier than a monitor, so it needed a hefty mounting bracket. I had that mounting bracket sitting around from another project when I ended up using a different option, but the bracket worked perfectly for my Small System.[emoji4]

Reactions: DJ Mikey Disco
@Bobcat: I've got a few short and long rails that I purchased some time ago (many years now) that I may try and make a very light road case out of some sturdy (plastic, plexiglass, etc). I don't throw my equipment around or abuse it in any way. I don't presently stack anything on my road case because it has a slant top. Any suggestions on "sturdy but light"? You've seen my setup on display in one of the other threads. I'll get back to you as to which thread.

Can you mount rails in the case like I did with my small system case?...

No ... the SKB case is too thin to mount something sturdy .. and there is a handle inset on both sides.

IMG_1554.JPG

Last edited:
@Bobcat: I've got a few short and long rails that I purchased some time ago (many years now) that I may try and make a very light road case out of some sturdy (plastic, plexiglass, etc). I don't throw my equipment around or abuse it in any way. I don't presently stack anything on my road case because it has a slant top. Any suggestions on "sturdy but light"? You've seen my setup on display in one of the other threads. I'll get back to you as to which thread.

It was this thread post #328.

Been thinking about building a rack case as well. My next rack is not going to be a rack (in the traditional sense) at all. It's gonna be more like a table. But whether it's a rack or a table, it needs to be strong and light weight, as you stated. I'm thinking of making the frame out of square aluminum tubing, and the sides out of Fiberglass Reinforced Wall Panels. You can buy it at Home Depot, and you can use it much like wood.

I'm already committed to THIS SKB Rack system for at least this year, but I think I'll probably be building my new rack next year about this time.[emoji1]

Reactions: TwinSpinDJ
Been thinking about building a rack case as well. My next rack is not going to be a rack (in the traditional sense) at all. It's gonna be more like a table. But whether it's a rack or a table, it needs to be strong and light weight, as you stated. I'm thinking of making the frame out of square aluminum tubing, and the sides out of Fiberglass Reinforced Wall Panels. You can buy it at Home Depot, and you can use it much like wood.

I'm already committed to THIS SKB Rack system for at least this year, but I think I'll probably be building my new rack next year about this time.[emoji1]

So this one should be done just in time to start in the next one

No ... the SKB case is too thin to mound something sturdy .. and there is a handle inset on both sides.

View attachment 34164

Steve, It looks like you'd need to replicate what's going on in the front. It looks (from your pic) like the rails are built into the front frame. You could probably contact SKB and buy the front frame, then drill out the rivets for the rear frame and rivet the new frame piece back in. Not sure it's worth the cost or the hassle?

Steve, It looks like you'd need to replicate what's going on in the front. It looks (from your pic) like the rails are built into the front frame. You could probably contact SKB and buy the front frame, then drill out the rivets for the rear frame and rivet the new frame piece back in. Not sure it's worth the cost or the hassle?
I don't think it's worth it. I might be able to put a 4U rail above and a 4U rail below and just leave a 2U gap between .. or take a 10U rail and notch it around the handle (though I don't have heavy duty metal working gear and it would be tough with an angle grinder). We''ll see.

Or I throw it all back in my SKB GigRig I still have.

I don't think it's worth it. I might be able to put a 4U rail above and a 4U rail below and just leave a 2U gap between .. or take a 10U rail and notch it around the handle (though I don't have heavy duty metal working gear and it would be tough with an angle grinder). We''ll see...

The angle grinder wouldn't be too tough, I wouldn't think. That might be a good way to go... and pretty inexpensive.:djsmug: Do you have a grinding wheel? Take most of the metal off with the angle grinder, then make it pretty using the grinding wheel. Would be a shame to waste the work you did on the caster base.

I don't think it's worth it. I might be able to put a 4U rail above and a 4U rail below and just leave a 2U gap between .. or take a 10U rail and notch it around the handle (though I don't have heavy duty metal working gear and it would be tough with an angle grinder). We''ll see.

Or I throw it all back in my SKB GigRig I still have.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Gator/...303557597-sku^1274228064143@ADL4GC-adType^PLA

...$237 at Guitar Center. Rails front and rear (at least the 14U version I have has them). You might single-handedly keep GC from going bankrupt![emoji1]

Reactions: steve149