RequestNow - Cool Tool for Taking Song Requests

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

rawls123

New DJ
Jul 9, 2013
Hey all, I'm one of the creators of RequestNow (http://www.request-now.com/). RequestNow's a service that let's you take song requests via SMS as well as a way to get you more clients.

My partner and I came up with RequestNow cause we used to DJ at events in high schools (mainly the school dances and some bar mitzvahs + sweet 16s) and loved taking requests but it was always such a pain. We started to use something similar to this and it was nice because we were able to get our booking and contact information easily to our audience especially at events like Bar Mitzvah's because it gave us a good reason to give out business cards at events (cause we'd need it to get the number out). RequestNow gives you the opportunity to use this as well as a few couple more interesting marketing features. RequestNow makes song requesting extremely simple because it parses users texts to figure out the song they requested and automatically shows you the most requested songs. As well, it lets you respond to requests when you have the time to and let's you notify people when their song is going to be played with the click of a button.

Let me know what you all think of RequestNow!

we just do introduced this on our own.....with the clients permission, we place small cards on the tables and we set up a number through the Line2 app so my personal number is not attached to it....have used it twice so far and it has been a big success, the clients have loved it!

this is what we put on the tables

2013-05-09_1058.png

Or you can do the same for free with Google Voice.

I used RequestNow during prom season this year - it's nicely designed and the RequestNow team was great to chat with - the students loved it, too. Although it's not something I plan to use at wedding receptions this year (which make up most of my work), I wish them continued success.

Build a standalone local wi-fi hotspot version that doesn't require me to pay you every month and then I'd be interested. No interest in paying anyone monthly for any type of service that requires pay or no access. I want something that can stand alone, I pay you once for it, and I can use it anytime without worrying about another service bill. That is money better spent on music for clients than lining someone else's pocket.....IMO.

Great idea......just in this form, not for me.

Reactions: 1 person
Build a standalone local wi-fi hotspot version that doesn't require me to pay you every month and then I'd be interested. No interest in paying anyone monthly for any type of service that requires pay or no access. I want something that can stand alone, I pay you once for it, and I can use it anytime without worrying about another service bill. That is money better spent on music for clients than lining someone else's pocket.....IMO.

Great idea......just in this form, not for me.

Feel free to try out our software -- Remote Request System.

http://softjock.com/remoterequest.htm

Reactions: 3 people
People go to an Event to enjoy what is there for them, Food, Entertainment etc. I do take requests marginally but I don't go out of my way to encourage them. Lets suppose you have two hours for dancing and there are 100 people at an Event. If 30 of those people were to each give you a song request, that will quickly soak up that time. You also run the risk of pissing off someone whose request does not get played. I prefer the personal interaction of letting the person come up to make their request, that way not as many people would. Also, if the requested song is inappropriate, I can tell the person right then that they need to choose something else. Having people send requests via some device not only would distract me but make me into some kind of jukebox. Which I am not! However, as the saying goes, to each his own.

Reactions: 3 people
I use one of these, I also take suggestions not requests

Yeah, but can you drag and drop the songs into the DJ software of your choice from a paper notepad...?

I designed the RRS sytem mainly for school dances and stuff like that --the client syncs with the server database, so it keeps the kids away from you. It has a flood interval that you can set, and numerous options, and also includes text requests.

Jeez...whatever happened to encouraging some face to face time with potential clients?

That's how I view taking requests. Do it the old fashioned way and let them young-un's (or yutes...what's a yute?) bug someone else with an electronic request.

Call me an old f*rt, but that's my way. Now get offa my lawn!

Jeez...whatever happened to encouraging some face to face time with potential clients?

That's how I view taking requests. Do it the old fashioned way and let them young-un's (or yutes...what's a yute?) bug someone else with an electronic request.

Call me an old f*rt, but that's my way. Now get offa my lawn!

This has nothing to do with pre-event requests.....this is all about while the event is going on.

We have used the cards twice....and both times it was an OVERWHELMING success. The notion of "marginally" taking requests so not how I do weddings. I encourage interaction with all guests....from the first time someone set foot into the room until the last song. This notion of "I know what is best for the guests and don't need their input" is putting YOU first and not the client and guests.

This has nothing to do with pre-event requests.....this is all about while the event is going on. This notion of "I know what is best for the guests and don't need their input" is putting YOU first and not the client and guests.

Wow...how did you read that into what I said??

I was NOT referring to pre-event - just during an event. And I never said I don't need their input. Rather, I encourage it like you do.

Wow...how did you read that into what I said??

I was NOT referring to pre-event - just during an event. And I never said I don't need their input. Rather, I encourage it like you do.

Patrick .. remember that Jim has a hard time with them new-fangled portable keyboardy things.

Reactions: 2 people
Love the discussion here so far. The system designed by SoftJock Rick is interesting, but seems designed for an era of the past. The users of RequestNow actually enjoy requesting songs via our system. It enhances their experience at an event and taps into the fact that mobile is everything nowadays. Remote desktop software is not only outdated but not really cool or enjoyable to use.

What do you mean by a "standalone local wi-fi hotspot version?" Do you mean desktop software of some sort? The monthly fee is $2/month which is relatively negligible and creating an event is fairly cheap relative to the revenue you most likely make per event.

In response to all the people saying that they use Google Voice, it's an interesting way to take song requests but it's clearly limited relative to RequestNow's feature set. Google voice doesn't give you any way to organize your requests or easily answer them / let party-goers know when their song will be playing next. RequestNow maintains the level of interaction that you would have if you also took face-to-face requests but lets you do it on your own time. As well, RequestNow gives you more of an opportunity to market yourself than Google Voice because in addition to the ability to market yourself via your business cards (which you can do with Gvoice) we allow you to have a custom signature in response to each request as well as the ability to send thank you messages after the event ends with booking information.

Using RequestNow doesn't make you a jukebox; you're not obligated to play the requests and using it enhances the experience for party-goers as well as yourself. It doesn't make it so you can't have face-to-face interactions with clients, it just makes it so that you can when you want to and so you still have a way to interact with your audience without having them have to leave where they are in the event.

- - - Updated - - -

Love the discussion here so far. The system designed by SoftJock Rick is interesting, but seems designed for an era of the past. The users of RequestNow actually enjoy requesting songs via our system. It enhances their experience at an event and taps into the fact that mobile is everything nowadays. Remote desktop software is not only outdated but not really cool or enjoyable to use.

What do you mean by a "standalone local wi-fi hotspot version?" Do you mean desktop software of some sort? The monthly fee is $2/month which is relatively negligible and creating an event is fairly cheap relative to the revenue you most likely make per event.

In response to all the people saying that they use Google Voice, it's an interesting way to take song requests but it's clearly limited relative to RequestNow's feature set. Google voice doesn't give you any way to organize your requests or easily answer them / let party-goers know when their song will be playing next. RequestNow maintains the level of interaction that you would have if you also took face-to-face requests but lets you do it on your own time. As well, RequestNow gives you more of an opportunity to market yourself than Google Voice because in addition to the ability to market yourself via your business cards (which you can do with Gvoice) we allow you to have a custom signature in response to each request as well as the ability to send thank you messages after the event ends with booking information.

Using RequestNow doesn't make you a jukebox; you're not obligated to play the requests and using it enhances the experience for party-goers as well as yourself. It doesn't make it so you can't have face-to-face interactions with clients, it just makes it so that you can when you want to and so you still have a way to interact with your audience without having them have to leave where they are in the event.

People go to an Event to enjoy what is there for them, Food, Entertainment etc. I do take requests marginally but I don't go out of my way to encourage them. Lets suppose you have two hours for dancing and there are 100 people at an Event. If 30 of those people were to each give you a song request, that will quickly soak up that time. You also run the risk of pissing off someone whose request does not get played. I prefer the personal interaction of letting the person come up to make their request, that way not as many people would. Also, if the requested song is inappropriate, I can tell the person right then that they need to choose something else. Having people send requests via some device not only would distract me but make me into some kind of jukebox. Which I am not! However, as the saying goes, to each his own.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!!

How is someone texting a request to you ANY different than someone walking up to you..... in either case, if you play the song, wouldn't you be considered a "human jukebox?"

Your attitude just screams "I am the only one who knows what people want to hear, so just leave me alone the let me play my music choices and not bother with you"......the text system is IDEAL for dinner time, when you have a room full of 200 people who don't want to weave in and out of tables to walk over and request something they would like to hear while eating.

I should have known better than to try and contribute to this discussion because the elitists amongst us out there will never actually be open minded enough to consider something they did not think up themselves.