RekordBox DMX? Anybody?

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

rickryan.com

DJ Extraordinaire
ODJT Supporter
Dec 9, 2009
Hendersonville, TN
www.rickryan.com
A DJ friend told me he just bought a Pioneer DDJ1000 controller and got RekordBox DMX software with it. From what he's saying, it has some pretty neat features such as a program that will let you pre-scan tracks and the software will prebuild DMX programs. He uses several movers and he said it syncs the heads to move with the music. He also mentioned that at any point in time you can also use the platters to override the DMX programs and do moves on the fly. Sounded pretty cool. Have any of you guys taken a look at this or maybe own it?

This is a direct competitor (and basically identical system) to the SoundSwitch system I use. SoundSwitch got bought by Denon, but is not exclusive to Denon systems.

The software is included, but I believe you still need the USB to DMX Interface/dongle/whatever you want to call it.

From Sweetwater - "With the Pioneer DJ RB-DMX1 DMX converter and lighting controller, you'll be able to use rekordbox DJ's Lighting mode to automatically create light shows that sync with your music. Introduced in rekordbox DJ v5.2, Lighting mode makes setting up your lightshow an effortless automatic process, with the ability to quickly customize it to your preferences. Connect the RB-DMX1 DMX converter to your Mac or PC, add a set of DMX512-supported lighting fixtures, and Lighting mode will control your lights in sync with your music. In other words, you can eliminate hours of pre-show lighting setup with the Pioneer DJ RB-DMX1 DMX converter."
Pioneer DJ RB-DMX1 DMX Converter for Rekordbox 512-Ch USB DMX Controller

This is Pioneer's answer to an all inclusive solution - it is an add on to the newest versions Rekordbox DJ. A $349 purchase of the RB-DMX1 includes a license for Rekordbox DJ, but you are probably going to have to use a Pioneer compatible controller or mixer/CDJ's with it.

I'm going to revise my comment... the Rekordbox DMX looks like they've done a good job creating a basic visualizer. SoundSwitch doesn't have that capability yet. So Rekordbox may have pulled into the lead on functionality here.

I'm pretty rooted into Serato... so I would have trouble switching to Rekordbox. And SoundSwitch does everything I need and more. But, Rekordbox DMX does look pretty cool.

I'd have even more trouble switching to RekordBox, since none of my controllers are Pioneer.

Reactions: DJ Bobcat