Rebuilding My Music Library

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
I don’t disagree. I’m keeping EVERYTHING on the server library so I can keep entire albums together. But I don’t need to have more than one copy of any track on my DJ computers. I also still have the portable hard drive with a copy of the same library that’s on the server, and it always goes with me in my laptop bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I do, as I get requests for older stuff sometimes by album. I prefer not having to remember which album things were on or resorting to Google all the time. It's not a high percentage of my song base, but an important one to me.

Reactions: ittigger
I use VDJ where I just type in the artist name or title of the song and it comes up. If it's more than one listing I will check to see what version is the right one and play it.

There is no yellow brick road. It's legal .. or it's not. Copyright Law says it's not - and it's explicitly black and white in this manner. Are you of a higher power than those that discussed, agreed to and put this law into place? I am most certain that you are not. What you are trying to do is twist it in some way that makes it ok for you - but instead, all that you are doing is condoning illegal activity. You absolutely cannot discuss how the law applies nor what it means when you're condoning illegal acts. Case law means crap if you don't have any couth or ethics - nor any regard for what the law says. Where's your case law showing someone has not been held responsible for this.

You can easily find case law for people (to include DJ's) that were found with media in violation of laws and agreements. Look at limewire or any other file sharing site where RIAA (or other similar body) got involved. In those specific cases, RIAA did not care if you were a DJ or other - in fact, if they knew you were a DJ, it was probably more difficult for you to get out of trouble.

Under Copyright Law (yes, it's an actual law, in an actual book), you may not retain any copies if you give the original to someone else. Period, end of story. Anyone here reading this is supposed to be a 'Professional'. Exactly how 'Professional' are you if you're advising to (or are) breaking the law? The law does not say - it's ok if you don't abide by these requirements or that I'm not going to check to make sure you're within the law (this is where Ethics pops in too - hmmmmm).

I'm no lawyer, nor do I pretend to be one. You seem to think you are one or have the capability or knowledge of one. RIAA stopped suing people not because there is no law to enforce - because they ran out of money. This does NOT mean that it's ok to break to law. Robbing a bank is wrong - even if there's no police officer present. Again, this is called Ethics, of which you are continuing to display none.

So, despite how easy you claim it is to find you have no case law, not one instance of a DJ who disposed of his original CDs and got sued because he retained the MP3s?

For someone with no response - you do an awful lot of typing. :)

I have yet to see your case law of one that was dismissed. I have presented scenarios that fall directly into the Copyright law and RIAA's realm. I have also presented why RIAA has not pursued anything currently. You have presented nothing but hot air aka: what you think about actual law and case law. You're not a lawyer or legal professional no matter how much you'd like to think you are. Either way, this is what Ethics are. If you choose to break the law, that's on you. It is NOT 'professional' to advise or state to others that it's ok to perform illegal acts and break the law in the very business you claim to be a professional in - just because you think someone might not be watching - and that it's ok by your own definition. Your definition .. is NOT the law - not even close.

For someone with no evidence to back yourself up, no ethics and lots of hot air, you do an awful lot of typing. Hmm .. looks like you're the one with nothing to stand on.

Last edited:
I have yet to see your case law of one that was dismissed. I have presented scenarios that fall directly into the Copyright law and RIAA's realm. I have also presented why RIAA has not pursued anything currently. You have presented nothing but hot air. Either way, this is what Ethics are. If you choose to break the law, that's on you. It is NOT 'professional' to advise or state to others that it's ok to perform illegal acts and break the law in the very business you claim to be a professional in.

For someone with no evidence to back yourself up, no ethics and lots of hot air, you do an awful lot of typing. Hmm .. looks like you're the one with nothing to stand on.

There is nothing ethical about your obfuscation and false indignation.
You posed something for which you have no citation, no instance of the law applied. That sir, is a lie of ignorance.

There is nothing ethical about your obfuscation and false indignation.
You posed something for which you have no citation, no instance of the law applied. That sir, is a lie of ignorance.

I provided evidence. You provided nothing. Your ignorance of such does not release or excuse you from following the law.

Again, it's kind of funny when you know you're wrong. It shows in your posts. ;)

I provided evidence.

No, you just went off on several tangents.
You provided nothing to address the issue to which you objected.

You're so obsessed with the black and white of what's wrong - you can't even fathom that it might not matter at all.
I bet you often drive at 5 to 10 MPH over the posted highway speed, yes? Why is that?

I found this article, and I am hoping it will shed some light on the matter.

Proformance DJ: DJ Guide to Copyright - (http://proformancedj.blogspot.com/p/dj-guide-to-copyright.html)

Especially this paragraph:

"There is no unique blanket licensing arrangement available to a disc jockey, pub, bride, or entertainment company in the U.S. that would allow one to duplicate or make copies of copyrighted musical works. Furthermore, the record labels generally do not grant permissions that compete with the wholesale and retail products already in licensed distribution. DJs are required just like everyone else to purchase their music through legitimate retail/wholesale channels or licensed subscription services. Duplication of these materials for the purpose of expanding operations requires mechanical licenses and is otherwise strictly prohibited. It matters not if the material was bought at a discount or given on a promotional basis. There is no implied license to duplicate it. The permission must be expressly obtained from any and all individual respective copyright holders with an enforceable interest. "

my best advice is to NOT organize your root folder per say but to organize your crates. Put all your music in one place, and go from there. That's what matters, and organizing your music in the software is very useful, efficient, and can be transferred over to any computer. Also, mp3 tagging among other things are also built into the ID3 when doing in the software.

Here is a quick screenshot to give you somewhat of an idea of how I have mine.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-10-01 at 9.08.34 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-10-01 at 9.08.34 PM.png
    13.3 KB · Views: 6
With myself,

I kind of gave up at organizing my music library. It's a mess! I have many different folders on my desktop all with different music.

Honestly, most newer songs in my collection over the past 2 years or so were only downloaded via customer request for a wedding, OR are promo only monthly Top 40 or Rythym top 40 hits. ...I don't bother to grow out my collection beyond that today.

My problem is my library is full of a bunch of "DEAD" mp3 files. I don't know why or how they became dead. They just come up "error" when I go to play them. I might have between 1,000 and 3,000 of them. They use to work at one time in the past! I wish there was a program that could detect "dead" mp3 files and just delete them and clean them out off the hard drive. Is there a program like that?

^^That's not good.

Serato detects "dead" mp3 files. You can have it scan, and find "dead" ones if the file has been moved. You can then delete it from the library if the file is not found (which means you deleted it or renamed it).

Proformance DJ: DJ Guide to Copyright - (http://proformancedj.blogspot.com/p/dj-guide-to-copyright.html)

"There is no unique blanket licensing arrangement available to a disc jockey, pub, bride, or entertainment company in the U.S. that would allow one to duplicate or make copies of copyrighted musical works. Furthermore, the record labels generally do not grant permissions that compete with the wholesale and retail products already in licensed distribution. DJs are required just like everyone else to purchase their music through legitimate retail/wholesale channels or licensed subscription services. Duplication of these materials for the purpose of expanding operations requires mechanical licenses and is otherwise strictly prohibited. It matters not if the material was bought at a discount or given on a promotional basis. There is no implied license to duplicate it. The permission must be expressly obtained from any and all individual respective copyright holders with an enforceable interest. "

The discusion and context from which you quote is duplication and piracy by a multi-op. There were some years back a number of franchises and multi-ops that were reproducing 100's of CD compilations to distribute or sell among their franchises or DJs. That was obvious and egregious piracy.

When you get down to the level of a singular DJ who has purchased a CD and then rips it for his own personal use (whether for his gig or at home) conflicting laws now overlap and it's judicial oversight - that rules the case. The essence of any infringement claim rests upon the concept of damages and judges have consistently thrown out statutory damages where applicable laws conflict.

There are at least three fundamental areas of law that impact copyright enforcement. You cannot read just one statement from the U.S. Code and assume a literal application to every conceivable instance. There is a lot of Law that overlaps in contradiction and that is where it falls to a judge to discern the intent of the Lawmakers. Most legal setbacks encountered by the RIAA are not due to interpretation of copyright law; they stem from the boundaries and protections established within other bodies of law.

Last edited:
My problem is my library is full of a bunch of "DEAD" mp3 files. I don't know why or how they became dead. They just come up "error" when I go to play them. I might have between 1,000 and 3,000 of them. They use to work at one time in the past! I wish there was a program that could detect "dead" mp3 files and just delete them and clean them out off the hard drive. Is there a program like that?

They are only "dead" in the index file of your software. It means you have either moved or deleted the files and the DJ software no longer sees them at that folder location. (This can also happen when an external drive letter changes, so always use assigned drive letters.)

The same thing would happen if you started Microsoft Word and tried to open a file that you originally saved to "My Documents" then later moved to a sub-folder called: "contracts." MS Office responds with an error message "file not found in this location - it may have been moved or deleted." The error messages in DJ software tend to be less helpful.

Most programs require you to purge these references and re-scan your music collection. If you have both the working MP3 and a file error showing up in your listings it means you have re-scanned your music without purging the old references.

Reactions: Jim Davis
They are only "dead" in the index file of your software. It means you have either moved or deleted the files and the DJ software no longer sees them at that folder location. (This can also happen when an external drive letter changes, so always use assigned drive letters.)

The same thing would happen if you started Microsoft Word and tried to open a file that you originally saved to "My Documents" then later moved to a sub-folder called: "contracts." MS Office responds with an error message "file not found in this location - it may have been moved or deleted." The error messages in DJ software tend to be less helpful.

Most programs require you to purge these references and re-scan your music collection. If you have both the working MP3 and a file error showing up in your listings it means you have re-scanned your music without purging the old references.

Thank you for the useful info.

How would I go about fixing the problem? Strange that the files could have been moved. I don't remember moving files manually. Although, some of the songs, I noticed were downloads from A LONG time ago that were transferred to this current Laptop off of a flash drive from older laptops (like 3 laptops ago...so going back to 2007/2008/2009 file origination)

like we are saying-- use your DJ software to scan again, and relocate "lost" files

For the ones not found, you can delete from the library.

Hopefully what you've learned in this is that some people like to 'speak' to the law but not follow it when it actually applies to themselves.

The discusion and context from which you quote is duplication and piracy by a multi-op. There were some years back a number of franchises and multi-ops that were reproducing 100's of CD compilations to distribute or sell among their franchises or DJs. That was obvious and egregious piracy.

When you get down to the level of a singular DJ who has purchased a CD and then rips it for his own personal use (whether for his gig or at home) conflicting laws now overlap and it's judicial oversight - that rules the case. The essence of any infringement claim rests upon the concept of damages and judges have consistently thrown out statutory damages where applicable laws conflict.

There are at least three fundamental areas of law that impact copyright enforcement. You cannot read just one statement from the U.S. Code and assume a literal application to every conceivable instance. There is a lot of Law that overlaps in contradiction and that is where it falls to a judge to discern the intent of the Lawmakers. Most legal setbacks encountered by the RIAA are not due to interpretation of copyright law; they stem from the boundaries and protections established within other bodies of law.

Bob, what you seem to not understand is that if you rip a copy of it and sell it or give it to someone else to use however they want, then you are for lack of a better term, doing the same thing as a multi op would. Do you somehow believe that the duplication and piracy laws do not apply to the scenario you presented? What you are stating is indeed illegal, and now backed up by a statement on your own website, but for some reason you're trying to claim it's ok. You can't twist the law just because YOU think it's ok. Considering you are NOT a judge, then it is not up to you to discern the intent of lawmakers. All you're doing is trying to weave yourself an escape hatch - of which there is none.

Stop giving legal advice - as you can't break the law while trying to preach it. YOU .. are supposed to be a professional. Act like one.

Last edited:
my best advice is to NOT organize your root folder per say but to organize your crates. Put all your music in one place, and go from there. That's what matters, and organizing your music in the software is very useful, efficient, and can be transferred over to any computer. Also, mp3 tagging among other things are also built into the ID3 when doing in the software.

Here is a quick screenshot to give you somewhat of an idea of how I have mine.

An issue with sticking large amounts of data in a single folder is that it now takes the system LOTS of time to enumerate that data. You will see performance drop when you have more than 1000 files within a folder. Increasing this number makes performance worse.

Reactions: DJ Bobcat
With myself,

I kind of gave up at organizing my music library. It's a mess! I have many different folders on my desktop all with different music.

Honestly, most newer songs in my collection over the past 2 years or so were only downloaded via customer request for a wedding, OR are promo only monthly Top 40 or Rythym top 40 hits. ...I don't bother to grow out my collection beyond that today.

'On your desktop' is the worst place to have them.

Reactions: DJ Bobcat