RE-Reworking My Small System... AGAIN

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
OK... I tested the laptop stand/robotic arm and mounting pole attached to my old vented rack panel, and guess what???... IT WORKED!!!...YAY!!!!:djparty:...

View attachment 34783
View attachment 34785
.... Keep in mind, this is just a temporary test installation, with the base mounted over the hole where the marine style electrical inlet used to sit, but it actually works pretty good... And the best part... it cost me NOTHING!!!:laugh:... Still have to paint the pole and the base to get them looking sharp, but I think I'm gonna call this a winner!:djsmug:
Where did you get, and I know I am not calling them by their correct name, the pass thru XLR connectors you have on the back side of your small rack case, where did you acquire them?, and what the hell is the correct name?. Before I lost interest in being a DJ I wanted to do the same on some of my rack cases and spent time tracking them down and finding the best prices and what not , but that was months ago and CRS is a cruel bitch.

Reactions: ittigger
Where did you get, and I know I am not calling them by their correct name, the pass thru XLR connectors you have on the back side of your small rack case, where did you acquire them?, and what the hell is the correct name?. Before I lost interest in being a DJ I wanted to do the same on some of my rack cases and spent time tracking them down and finding the best prices and what not , but that was months ago and CRS is a cruel bitch.

Got 'em at Markertek.com ...

Connectronics XLR Male to XLR Female Chassis Mount Barrel Connector

I get practically all my connectors and cables there... Love those guys![emoji4] They have a REAL phone number with real people you can actually talk to. If you can't find what you want, you can call them, describe what you're looking for, and they'll tell you what it is and how to get it.[emoji4]

Last edited:
You're welcome... But you say you're not DJing anymore???... How come? What happened???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What did you use for the power connector?, all IEC chassis mount pass thru connectors I am finding have the prongs on the inside, that is gonna work for leaving equipment plugged in

Two reasons, the first, after the wedding I did in February, I for whatever just lost all interest in DJ'ing, I dont know why, the gig was a cake walk , I had fun, got a $50 tip, there was no issues other than the load in/out. The othe reason would be, having a very hard time getting business, well, I take that back, I get a lot scammers wanting to hire me lol, the few inquiry's I get are looking for a DJ that is taking part in the race to the bottom, which I am not right now.

And I totally fornicated the pouch and waited too long to get the last client to leave me a review, I did finally send a follow up email( with a link to leave a review ), but it was months later.

What did you use for the power connector?, all IEC chassis mount pass thru connectors I am finding have the prongs on the inside, that is gonna work for leaving equipment plugged in...

If you're asking how I'm powering the rack and it's components, NOW, I have a Powercon connector on the patch panel. A Powercon to Edison cable, then extension cord to plug into a power source. On the back of the Powercon connector (on the patch panel), there's a short cable with a three prong female Edison plug, to which I plug in the CyberPower rack-mount power strip, mounted on the back of the rack. The CyberPower power strip has 6 outlets on the inside and on the outside, so I plug the internal components into the inside outlets, and speakers and other external gear to the outside outlets. Is that what you were asking?[emoji4]

Last edited:
If you're asking how I'm powering the rack and it's components, NOW, I have a Powercon connector on the patch panel. A Powercon to Edison cable, then extension cord to plug into a power source. On the back of the Powercon connector (on the patch panel), there's a short cable with a three prong female Edison plug, to which I plug in the CyberPower rack-mount power strip, mounted on the back of the rack. The CyberPower power strip has 6 outlets on the inside and on the inside, so I plug the internal components into the inside outlets, and speakers and other external gear to the outside outlets. Is that what you were asking?[emoji4]
Yes, lets go with that.

This system is coming together pretty nicely, but it's hard to resist jumping from one task to another... not really finishing any one of the tasks.[emoji1]... EXTREMELY SHORT attention span. Still waiting on the cables I ordered, so I can't finish hooking up the mixer. The hinged rack panel for the back of the rack hasn't come yet either, so that can't be finished. I still need to get the supplies to make the bracket to attach the facade, so can't finish that. Just ordered a Bluetooth receiver yesterday, and though It hasn't come yet, I do have one I could test with. Maybe I'll do that today? And I still need to decide which hardware and software would make for the best backup system. Oh... and I still need to paint the mount for the robotic arm.

I was planning to put the Rolls mixer in the bottom space (in the front of the rack), but the GTD Audio mic system is SO much deeper, I think it would just make it more difficult to see/access the wires on the back, so it looks like I'll mount the Rolls in the upper 1U space. It doesn't look like the antennas on the front of the GTD will get in the way of any of the controls on the mixer. Not my preference, because the lip of the opening above the top of the 2U front rack section, kinda blocks your line of sight to whatever is mounted in the top 1U, but I guess I can live with it.[emoji4]

Mostly though, I really just want this System to be done so I can play with it. It was already a nice little system, but I think it's gonna be even better![emoji4]

Last edited:
Reactions: SEDJ and ittigger
I hate waiting for cables. Two cables came yesterday... not NEARLY enough. I have TONS of cables... just not the right ones for this project. Deciding on the mixer was the key, of course, so you can't really order cables until you know what kinds of jacks you're connecting to. But then the waiting time for the cables to arrive can be excruciating.[emoji1] I got this new toy (mixer), and I don't even know if it works. I think I'll have to pull my box of audio cables out of the garage today and see what I can cobble together. Maybe I can come up with enough cables and adapters to at least allow me to play with this thing?[emoji1]

I hate waiting for cables. Two cables came yesterday... not NEARLY enough. I have TONS of cables... just not the right ones for this project. Deciding on the mixer was the key, of course, so you can't really order cables until you know what kinds of jacks you're connecting to. But then the waiting time for the cables to arrive can be excruciating.[emoji1] I got this new toy (mixer), and I don't even know if it works. I think I'll have to pull my box of audio cables out of the garage today and see what I can cobble together. Maybe I can come up with enough cables and adapters to at least allow me to play with this thing?[emoji1]

hook up the mixer outside the rack .. only need power, an ipod/cable and 2 XLRs for speakers to test it.

hook up the mixer outside the rack .. only need power, an ipod/cable and 2 XLRs for speakers to test it.

Well... That's the SMART thing to do, so probably NOT what I'll do.[emoji1] I want mics, controllers, speakers, and Bluetooth hooked up because... well... because.[emoji1] If I can't find the cables and adapters I need, I'll do it your way.[emoji4]

Well... That's the SMART thing to do, so probably NOT what I'll do.[emoji1] I want mics, controllers, speakers, and Bluetooth hooked up because... well... because.[emoji1] If I can't find the cables and adapters I need, I'll do it your way.[emoji4]

Well, with 1 ipod, you could go down the input line to make sure they all work .. and heaven forbid hooking up 1 mic and doing the same .. :)

Well, with 1 ipod, you could go down the input line to make sure they all work ...

iPod???[emoji1]... Would have to be iPad mini... Wanna know something funny???... I never owned an iPod. Skipped that fad somehow. I did have an Archos media player, but no dedicated mp3 player. iPhones came around, and it just didn't make sense to buy an iPod after that.[emoji4]

Last edited:
iPod???[emoji1]... Would have to be iPad mini... Wanna know something funny???... I never owned an iPod. Skipped that fad somehow. I did have an Archos media player, but no dedicated media player. iPhones came around, and it just didn't make sense to buy an iPod after that.[emoji4]
I had a Diamond Rio, some mini Creative unit that held like 4 albums worth of music, one of the Archos units, then a 30Gb iPod with "Shine On You Crazy Diamonds" and my wife, daughter and son's names lasered on the back.

41HFCBVZWJL._AC_UL320_SR214,320_.jpg

I get the benefits, simplicity, cleanliness perhaps, of a setup in a box.

I like the flexibility of ind components, the facade hides the mess. And it's a lot lighter than one big box - been there done that, too old to do it anymore.

I have a folding laptop stand - laptop on top, mixer under. Small setup.
larger is double that - 2 stands, 2 laptops, mixer under one and controller under the other. Wirless mix sits behind (wrong size box to sit under anything). Fits on a 4' long table.

Total setup is 30-35 minutes, 10-15 more for lighting. Teardown is 30 min incl lighting. Fits in one rubbermaid style tub, another for lighting.

Flexible so it works with any substitions (diff mic, no mic, stealth wireless, diff mixer ,etc). Had a wedding yesterday where I pulled the stealth and one laptop out for the ceremony and plugged it back in for cocktails.

I get the benefits, simplicity, cleanliness perhaps, of a setup in a box.

I like the flexibility of ind components, the facade hides the mess. And it's a lot lighter than one big box - been there done that, too old to do it anymore...

Yeah... I get that. You would not be the first mobile DJ to forgo the rack in favor of separate components, table, and facade. Some even say racks are passé. Maybe so???[emoji1] I think the rack cuts my setup and tear-down time in half (at a minimum), and I like a smaller table than my components would need if not stacked in a rack. AND... I've never owned a facade until now, so my racks DO minimize the amount of (visible) wires.

The rear patch panels kept the visible wires out of my way, but SOME wires were still VISIBLE, requiring additional time to tidy up the look once everything was set up. My new Floating Facade will save some extra time by allowing the wires to just hang. I won't have to peel off as much tape, Velcro, or cut off zip ties when packing up... 10 minutes saved in my estimation... maybe longer.

The weight of this evolution of my Small System rack is going to be reduced a bit, making it my lightest rack ever. Still not something you'd want to carry in your arms very far.[emoji4]

Last edited:
Just checked the tracking info and all the other cables I ordered won't be here until FRIDAY![emoji37]... CR@P!!![emoji1]... I didn't look for cables (in the garage) or even mess with my System at all yesterday. The wife was home, and I never get much done when she's home... and won't likely get much done today either, because she has the day off. Never hurts to step away from a project for a day or two because you often return with a new perspective. I very likely WILL make it to the hardware store today though to pick up paint and other items I need to complete this project. I'll work on painting and the bracket for the facade over the next few days, and finish up when my cables arrive. It'll work out.[emoji4]