RE-Reworking My Small System... AGAIN

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
Well, it would be Design it Yourself and OiY .. :)

Reactions: DJ Bobcat
I DID get the Ethernet switch yesterday (Sunday), just as the tracking info said. Got the TP-Link for $17. It’s small. It’ll work. It’s a switch; nothing spectacular about it.[emoji4]

I also managed to get the patch panel finished up except for the single 1/4” input jack the connects to Channel 3 on the Rolls mixer, and the headphone jack that will connect to the external sound card for my Surface Pro (backup PC). Got the two XLR’s done for the monitors (connects to Booth Out on the controller). I also added the two USB jacks that will connect to the USB hub for the Surface Pro. Wiring on this system has certainly become a lot more complicated by adding the Rolls mixer, the backup tablet Surface Pro), and the Bluetooth receiver, but these are all features I think will make it a much better system.

Reactions: ittigger
Gotter done... the patch panel, that is.[emoji1] I didn’t put the headphone jack for the Surface Pro (backup PC) sound card on there yet. I’m having some second thoughts about that. I still have two available slots on the patch panel... just not sure if that’s the best place for the headphone jack. The only reason I can think of that I’d use headphones with the backup PC is if my main PC or controller failed. That means I’d unplug the headphones from my controller, and plug them into the headphone jack for the sound card. I’m not planning to have two sets of headphones plugged in at the same time... I get confused enough as it is.[emoji1] But it seems to me, the back of the rack (especially when the Floating Facade is attached to the table) is not the best place for a headphone jack. I’m thinking somewhere on the hinged rack panel above the controller might be better. I need to see if there’s enough space for it, but just above the hole for the Bluetooth receiver connect button would be a nice location.

Doesn’t look like my sound card has actually shipped... It has a tracking number, but the USPS tracking shows that it has not yet been turned over to the post office. Not sure now when I’m gonna get it, but if they don’t actually ship it soon, it won’t get here by Friday.

Last edited:

This *may* have already been covered in here, but on your small system what are you using for a monitor hinge, and how does it breakdown/get protected? This looks a lot like one of my systems and monitor clearance has been a problem.

The hinges I used were purchased from a local shop here in Cleveland that allegedly had access to a machine shop and "made them" (although years ago I swear I found identical ones online from a different distributor). I've disassembled the thing and found it was just a torque hinge with a monitor mount attached to a 1u rack panel/blank. The mount looks really clean and was excellent to have a system I could just power on on location (especially when I was running a rack mount PC for music videos years ago), but weight and portability on mine were the downfall at the time I built it (2009ish?).

I still have that rack in storage - I believe it has a Mackie FR1400, 2u Desktop (built myself), Audio Technica 2000 Series Wireless Receiver, Stanton Dual CD Player and Tascam Mixer with an LCD monitor mounted...Of course, that was my "heavy" rack. I think empty, the Odyssey road case it was in was 30lbs or something before adding the equipment. I used to dread moving that thing.

My old "Light" rack is under repair/revision at the moment but it's just a 4u case with a 1u Cortex mixer, 1u Tascam cd player and Crown XLS402 amplifier in it that a laptop sits on top of...

I know it's going to come up - the answers are Yes I still carry CD players as I have events throughout the year that require them and Yes, I own *some* powered speakers too, however, I still keep amplifiers in many of my racks for backup and versatility.

This *may* have already been covered in here, but on your small system what are you using for a monitor hinge, and how does it breakdown/get protected? This looks a lot like one of my systems and monitor clearance has been a problem.

It probably was covered the first time I reworked my small system about a year ago (see the thread Slight Miscalculation - Slight Miscalculation), but it's basically just a VESA monitor wall mount like this one...

51Ks8%2BQMGyL._SL1000_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BCUM766/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_c_api_lokyBbBD09C94

Funny thing... I had that Vesa mount sitting around for several years. I was going to use it to mount the monitor I use with my servers and KVM switch, but ended up using a different bracket. When I decided to use a rack-mounted PC with a 22" monitor, I decided to try it out, and it worked beautifully. Still works great with the Dell All-in-one computer I use now (instead of the rack-mounted PC and monitor). As you can see...

1533070788549.png

... the AIO computer simply folds down over the top of the rack like a lid, and that's how it sits in the rollong case I use to transport it. I will add, it's strong enough to hold my AIO PC, but it was no problem at all holding a monitor.

...I still have that rack in storage - I believe it has a Mackie FR1400, 2u Desktop (built myself), Audio Technica 2000 Series Wireless Receiver, Stanton Dual CD Player and Tascam Mixer with an LCD monitor mounted...Of course, that was my "heavy" rack. I think empty, the Odyssey road case it was in was 30lbs or something before adding the equipment. I used to dread moving that thing.

Sounds similar to my situation. I built my Small System originally because the original rack system I built was too heavey for me to lif by myself. I needed something I could carry up stairs if I needed to. That original rack was a 14U rack, but I recently rebuilt it using a split-rack configuration (see Reworking My Large System - Reworking My Large System).

... My old "Light" rack is under repair/revision at the moment but it's just a 4u case with a 1u Cortex mixer, 1u Tascam cd player and Crown XLS402 amplifier in it that a laptop sits on top of...

It seems like it was a pretty cool system. What kind of "repairs/revisions" are you planning to make? Maybe you can start a DIY thread and talk about what you're doing... So the other guys can give you a hard time about too!

...I know it's going to come up - the answers are Yes I still carry CD players...
Not a big deal... There are others on this forum who still carry CD Players.

Last edited:
Funny thing... I had that Vesa mount sitting around for several years. I was going to use it to mount the monitor I use with my servers and KVM switch, but ended up using a different bracket. When I decided to use a rack-mounted PC with a 22" monitor, I decided to try it out, and it worked beautifully. Still works great with the Dell All-in-one computer I use now (instead of the rack-mounted PC and monitor). As you can see...

... the AIO computer simply folds down over the top of the rack like a lid, and that's how it sits in the rollong case I use to transport it. I will add, it's strong enough to hold my AIO PC, but it was no problem at all holding a monitor.

So I take it you can't stack anything on top of the rack then or quick release the monitor? I think I experimented with smaller and slimmer monitors until I eventually abandoned it - although I loved the sleek look of having the integrated monitor and would love to put it in another rack. I eventually found some monitor I could cram in the odyssey, then the sliders on the Tascam started gauging it, then I couldn't find a decent 2u mixer to fit around it. The last few times I used that rack I think I was wrapping the monitor in bath towels and had some weird triangular supports I built out of scrap metal in attempt to compress it to the top of the case (if that makes sense).

Side note: It's good to know I am not the only one on here with a server rack in my office/house.

Your mount looks very clean in that case - I like it.

It seems like it was a pretty cool system. What kind of "repairs/revisions" are you planning to make? Maybe you can start a DIY thread and talk about what you're doing... So the other guys can give you a hard time about too!

Nothing too exciting here...

The XLS 402 will be leaving and moving to one of my larger racks (to replace a burned up Mackie) and replaced with a 1u class D. The Tascam 1u CD player no longer works correctly (reads cds, no sound) and will be replaced with the Marantz 1u that just came in. The Cortex 1u mixer will stay. 1u will be freed up to actually mount the wireless microphone receiver inside the rack neatly rather than jam it in the back.

So I take it you can't stack anything on top of the rack then or quick release the monitor?...

Actually, the rack rides in a rolling Gator Case that looks kinda like this, but NOT this exact case...

9bebf0d3f469e015a414f305b7253944.jpg

The rack is actually sitting on its side (when transported inside the case/rolling bag), but the sides of the rolling bag are sturdy enough that I can put another small bag or two on top. I usually put my tool bag and laptop bag there attached with bungee cords.

Reactions: camarofleet
So... Not really much left to do on this project. Of the things that ARE left, I can’t do them yet.[emoji1] Contacted the seller of the sound card I bought on eBay, and he’s out of town, but promised he would have a “family member” take it to the Post Office tomorrow. Chances of getting it this week... NOT good. The rack shelf is scheduled for delivery on Thursday... The tracking info looks good for that. And cables[emoji1]... Thought I had everything I needed, but I could really use a couple of 1 ft. long USB cables to patch the USB hub for the Surface Pro to the patch panel. I thought I had some one footers, but NOPE... only two footers...CR@P... two footers work, but have to be rolled up, taking up space unnecessarily and looking like cr@p.[emoji1] I know... they’re inside the rack and will never be seen by anyone but me... So yep... I ordered some 1 ft. long USB cables... They’ll be here Friday... I hope. This thing is getting SO close to being done, I can hardly wait![emoji4] You too, huh?[emoji1]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After contemplatin’ the current status of this project, and not expecting to get my external (Traktor) sound card this week, I think there’s a way I can make some progress anyway. The rack-mount shelf will be here tomorrow, so I can mount the Ethernet switch, USB hub, and power block on it, and get it fitted in the rack. I have a little Sabarent USB sound card I can use to get everything wired up, then replace it with the Traktor sound card when it arrives. The wiring is pretty much the same... not exactly, but close, so that will at least give me a chance to see how everything works together. Up ‘till now, I’ve only been able to test components independently, but I want to test the integration. Not ideal, but at least it keeps the momentum going.[emoji4]

After contemplatin’ the current status of this project, and not expecting to get my external (Traktor) sound card this week, I think there’s a way I can make some progress anyway. The rack-mount shelf will be here tomorrow, so I can mount the Ethernet switch, USB hub, and power block on it, and get it fitted in the rack. I have a little Sabarent USB sound card I can use to get everything wired up, then replace it with the Traktor sound card when it arrives. The wiring is pretty much the same... not exactly, but close, so that will at least give me a chance to see how everything works together. Up ‘till now, I’ve only been able to test components independently, but I want to test the integration. Not ideal, but at least it keeps the momentum going.[emoji4]

Curious - what is the ethernet switch for in your rack?

Curious - what is the ethernet switch for in your rack?

I plug my main computer into it via a RJ45 jack on the patch panel. My backup computer (Surface Pro 3) will also plug into it via a second RJ45 jack on the patch panel. The third RJ45 jack on the patch panel will allow me to plug my 4G router into it at a gig, or I can plug a cable from my home network into it to update the computers at home. I could run the cables to a switch or directly to the router externally, but I like it all hidden in the rack.

Having two (or more; like maybe a laptop) computers connected to the switch allows me to share the mouse and keyboard (using Mouse without Borders). I can also copy files back and forth across the LAN. I’ve been doing this for a long time with my Large System, which has always had 2 computers in it, but now I can do it with my Small System.

Interesting...I just run everything wirelessly through Verizon Jetpacks which double as the router for multiple devices (I don't share peripherals or anything like that but I do run Meraki to remote control the photobooth computer, any on location second system and occasionally micromanage someone else I have out). I don't see many 4g routers that directly have an ethernet output, however your way would open up the potential to do more on-site.

Interesting...I just run everything wirelessly through Verizon Jetpacks which double as the router for multiple devices (I don't share peripherals or anything like that but I do run Meraki to remote control the photobooth computer, any on location second system and occasionally micromanage someone else I have out). I don't see many 4g routers that directly have an ethernet output, however your way would open up the potential to do more on-site.

My 4G router requires input of a USB MiFi device to gain Internet access, but without the MiFi, it still provides WiFi access (to any computers connected to the wired ports or connected via WiFi). I just prefer to have wired connections to my main computers. WiFi would work though.

Not a HUGE accomplishment, but the last wiring task is done. I ended up putting the headphone jack for the Traktor sound card (that will connect to the Surface Pro backup PC) on the hinged rack panel above the Bluetooth receiver. There was plenty of room there, so it was a better choice than putting the jack on the rear patch panel. Now I have all the wiring ready too hook up when the Traktor sound card and USB cables arrive.
60388ad43b91e9fa9b5edc86318eae27.jpg

Today... we wait. Nothin’ to do but wait for deliveries. Only the USB cables are likely to be delivered today. The rack shelf is stuck somewhere between Wisconsin and Missouri. The sound card is finally in the hands of the USPS, but it’s in West Palm Beach, Florida. Not much I can do without the rack-mount shelf. The sound card, USB hub, external disc drive (for the Surface Pro), and controller power supply all get mounted on the shelf before installing them in the rack. It SHOULD be a pretty simple task once everything gets here... but not today, and depending on what gets delivered tomorrow, maybe not even tomorrow. So we WAIT. I have no deadline on this project, but it could be done already if stuff would just get here.[emoji1]

There is one thing I can do today while I’m waiting... The music library on my Dell AIO Computer is in need of updating. Perhaps I can at least get that done? It’s not a particularly difficult task, but not a particularly FUN task either.[emoji1]

Today... we wait. Nothin’ to do but wait for deliveries. Only the USB cables are likely to be delivered today. The rack shelf is stuck somewhere between Wisconsin and Missouri. The sound card is finally in the hands of the USPS, but it’s in West Palm Beach, Florida...

Still waiting, but things are looking much better today. The USB cables were delivered yesterday... good. The rack shelf was transferred to the USPS by FedEX in Dallas 4 hours ago. That means it’s not likely gonna make it today, but perhaps tomorrow. The sound card is at the USPS Distribution Center in Oklahoma City. It MIGHT make it today. If it DOES come today, I can at least get it hooked up and tested, but I really can’t get anything else “installed” in the rack without the shelf.

Trying to decide which portable (external) hard drive to install?[emoji848] I have several... a couple of Western Digitals, a Seagate, and a no-name generic enclosure. It will be the drive used by the Surface Pro (my backup PC), and will contain a copy of my music library. It needs to be secured in the rack somehow, but I think it needs to be easily removable. I gotta figure out how I’m gonna do that... A pocket of some sort attached to the shelf or to the side of the rack would be nice... now I just need to figure out how to make that.[emoji4]

Last edited:
My 4G router requires input of a USB MiFi device to gain Internet access, but without the MiFi, it still provides WiFi access (to any computers connected to the wired ports or connected via WiFi). I just prefer to have wired connections to my main computers. WiFi would work though.

What's the model on all your networking gear? I'd like to look at the port layout.

Haven’t made this platform yet (to put under my DJ table so I can move it around in my office more easily)...

ffe5fdf7ab8bb1ad1a6c2221eb8ce459.jpg

... I ordered some little plastic feet that I could slide the table’s legs into to keep the table from sliding off the platform, but who knew it would take a MONTH to get them?[emoji1]... When I check the tracking, here’s what I see...

3941bd6caf13cec8e058f49119cf74af.jpg

I guess everything comes from China these days.[emoji4]

I think I’ll go ahead and make the platform. The plastic feet will get here eventually... maybe.[emoji1]

UPDATE: Not too smart though... Seems all (four of) the casters I bought have no locking mechanism.[emoji1] Need to get a couple more with brakes.[emoji1]

Last edited: