Re Download Help, Promo Only

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

SEDJ

DJ Extraordinaire
Apr 1, 2015
Phoenix AZ
The last week has had me in PC hell, and in that time in hell, I lost about 30 tracks or so thanks to Windows not allowing me to transfer them to my back up HD, and most of them all came from Promo Only but once you download a track, clicking on the download buttons does not download them again. Ive been able to re download tracks a few times after doing a series of random clicks , but I am not recalling what those random clicks are, and Promo Only decided to ignore my email asking them how to do it.

Thank you guys

FWIW, there are pools that send you a copy on CD/DVD still (or allow continued downloads) - just in case of something like this.

Or there are pools like idjpool.com that let you download the songs as many times as you want .. :)

Reactions: ittigger
Or there are pools like idjpool.com that let you download the songs as many times as you want .. :)
Those other pools membership fees are more than PO, and if I ever start making money , you bet your ass I will switch to one of them.

As it's just a file, there should not have been a reason you couldn't back it up. Sounds like there was another issue.

As it's just a file, there should not have been a reason you couldn't back it up. Sounds like there was another issue.
It was the standard Windows "can't read source file from disk" error message issue that forbid me from moving a lot of files, they all vaired in the type of files.

That's most likely file / disk corruption. Could be bad blocks. Make sure you have a backup of all important files in case you start getting more. Also try to make a system recovery image, just in case. Be prepared.

I'm not sure how you name your folders or where you store your files - but be aware also of the 255 character limit on folder path and filename (it's an 'undocumented feature'). I have seen this error with that as well. Keep in mind that under Win10, the folders 'My Documents', 'My Music', 'Downloads', and others are stored under C:\Users\username\Documents\ (28 characters), C:\Users\username\music\ (24 characters), C:\Users\username\downloads\ (28 characters), etc, etc.

Believe it or not, MS will let you create something longer and put something in the folders - but you cannot copy or move from them.

Last edited:
Reactions: DJ Bobcat
That's most likely file / disk corruption. Could be bad blocks. Make sure you have a backup of all important files in case you start getting more. Also try to make a system recovery image, just in case. Be prepared.

I'm not sure how you name your folders or where you store your files - but be aware also of the 255 character limit on folder path and filename (it's an 'undocumented feature'). I have seen this error with that as well. Keep in mind that under Win10, the folders 'My Documents', 'My Music', 'Downloads', and others are stored under C:\Users\username\Documents\ (28 characters), C:\Users\username\music\ (24 characters), C:\Users\username\downloads\ (28 characters), etc, etc.

Believe it or not, MS will let you create something longer and put something in the folders - but you cannot copy or move from them.
It came down to bad sectors causing the issues, I had something 8kb's of bad sectors , so the drive is going out, again, its hard to make a back up when you can't move those files onto your back drive, its ok, the files that I lost I can get back, I wrote everything down so its just a matter of going and re downloading everything that I lost.

So that also explains why I had two BSOD , the second came less than 24 hours after getting back up and running, talking about old laptop my new one arrived on Friday of last.

I did learn one thing, the value of having backups, and that I need to get better at it, I was backed up, but I need get better at it, or be better at backing up and keeping the backups up to date. I was probably a good month behind on backing up the music that I had downloaded for example.

Here is the funny thing if you will, the music files that I lost , were ones that were backed up, at least more than half.........story for another day, I dont handle crashes very well lol

Since @steve149 is the knowing of all, where is the best place to get HD's and memory sticks ?

Thank you for trying to help, I really do appreciate it

Last edited:
Ive avoided promo only for a while now because i heard they were still only doing cd's and do not yet have downloads available.... so you guys can confirm this is false?

and can you delve back years in their library?

cc

On a normal basis, I would go with newegg.com.

There are daily deals all over the place .. let us know what size/type of drive and what type of RAM and I'll see what I can find.

Here's a couple .. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...8a7b39a140b1569d60INT&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&th=1
Thank you Steve, I had feeling you were going to say Newegg, I actually looked there yesterday before posting, for my old laptop, I just need to replace the HD, so 1TB , my plan is I would like to get a 7200rpm drive and put that in my new laptop and take that one and put it in the old laptop since its a 5400rpm drive.

For memory, I want to bump up to the max 32GB, so I would need two DDR4 2400 16gb sticks

Ive avoided promo only for a while now because i heard they were still only doing cd's and do not yet have downloads available.... so you guys can confirm this is false?

and can you delve back years in their library?

cc
I can confirm they do digital downloads
You can see here , this is the download player
You can not go back years into their libray as far as I know.
KfVKPJ5.png

thanks so much for the confirmation... im fully annoyed now ... i would have been using them the past few months...

cc

Thank you Steve, I had feeling you were going to say Newegg, I actually looked there yesterday before posting, for my old laptop, I just need to replace the HD, so 1TB , my plan is I would like to get a 7200rpm drive and put that in my new laptop and take that one and put it in the old laptop since its a 5400rpm drive.

For memory, I want to bump up to the max 32GB, so I would need two DDR4 2400 16gb sticks
My recommendation for a 1Tb main drive ... Seagate FireCuda Gaming SSHD 1TB SATA 6.0Gb/s 2.5" Notebooks / Laptops Internal Hard Drive ST1000LX015 - Newegg.com - (https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822179111)

thanks so much for the confirmation... im fully annoyed now ... i would have been using them the past few months...

cc
Chris, I am sorry , I mis-spoke some, you can go back into the catalog, but not every far, re downloading some the tracks I lost and they are from about a year ago, so you can go back , at least a year, maybe more, I am not 100% certain just how far but in the past I searched for songs that were released two years prior and had no luck.

Reactions: djcrazychris