Weddings Question For (Some) Wedding DJs

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
Freddy

You think your mix into Apache will be wilder then my brief pause between the last song I played and before I play Sir Mix A Lot Jump on it when i asked all the guys to grab a napkin off the tables and report to the dance floor for a performance for the Bride?

P.S. Freddy I am always relaxed on a DJ forum.

Yes I don't only think, I know. Dead air is a big NONO in my company.

I think there's a little bit of everything and one should get the final say by the customer and get things right, scratching at a wedding would be annoying as hell, sometimes a fast mix is needed and sometimes mixing along after playing the whole song does not mean you can't make things work in a harmonic manner while blending (Beat matching) the tracks. There's a place for everything and it's up to you to find out what the customer wants exactly.

BACK TO THE OP.

Yes, Beatmix when it makes sense...BUT Too much beatmixing sounds just as bad as none.

Another topic:
What about Pitch mixing?
I beatmix when it makes sense everytime after special dances and the floor is ready for it...but if you overlap two songs at 120 BPM and they aren't in the same key (because of a relevant melody line) then the mix sucks. Fortunately most of the crap coming out now has a melody and bass free beat to start and end with but for songs that don't it can be tough to listen to when its out of key.

Most guests won't know it but out of tune stuff consciously but unconsciously they might be ready to leave!

Due to the fact I rotate genres so much I don't have to use the beatmixing too much.

One fast to slow beatmix I like doing is going from Mustang Sally by the Commitments to "My Girl" by the Temptations...it's perceived as a slow song anyway...and close in key

Ahh no you di'n! JT Keys are the most important ingredient after matching the beats and timing.

Dead air is a big NONO in my company.

So basically you're whole deal is trying to keep the dance floor full, and not the overall entertainment of the guests...?

What about talkover mixes, or giving them some dead air to take a breather? It's a wedding, not a club...

Again RICKY no one is chaining them to the dancefloor. On most occasions you see people come and go to take a breather its not such a big shocker. Others come join the floor when they hear their favorite Tarantella and dance one or two and go join in conversation with long lost family members or friends. The trick is keeping that balance but if you had dead air anytime during any of my past 39+ yrs the first thing would be you have the Bride and Groom and the rest on the floor turning like Merrill Lynch was in the house.

Well, down here it's like the Energizer bunny- They go all night and if they need a breather or want to talk they stay at their table.

I know if you mix out of the Electric Boogie version that I use you will miss the best part.
since we have established the standard of sharing or discussing with our peers Cesar how about also mentioning the elusive and mysterious version you use which the best part would be missed.