Prom Playlist: 4/28/17

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

B-Sharp

DJ Extraordinaire
ODJT Supporter
Feb 9, 2008
Taunton MA
www.southcoastdj.com
Figured I'd start a thread (for the first time in almost 5 years) because the other prom playlist/beatmatching discussion was getting too fragmented. Here's what I played at a Jr. Prom on Friday night. Take it or leave it, love it or hate it... I don't offend easily (but I do beatmix). :)

Italicized songs were students' requests. I chose which versions/mixes got played.

Arrival:
18:03 : Niall Horan - This Town (X-Mix Edit)
18:08 : Ed Sheeran - Don't (X-Mix Edit)
18:11 : Katy Perry - This Is How We Do (X-Mix Edit)
18:15 : Fifth Harmony - Sledgehammer (X-Mix Edit)
18:19 : Nick Jonas - Levels (Full Tilt Remix)
18:22 : Black Eyed Peas - Hey Mama (Select Mix Remix)
18:25 : Chainsmokers & Coldplay - Something Just Like This (X-Mix Edit)
18:30 : Taylor Swift Vs. Lauryn Hill - Blank Space (DJ Skillz Throwback Blend) (Short Edit)
18:31 : DJ Snake & AlunaGeorge - You Know You Like It (X-Mix Edit)
18:35 : Shawn Mendes - Treat You Better
18:38 : Christina Aguilera Feat. Nile Rodgers - Telepathy
18:41 : Flo Rida Feat. Robin Thicke & Verdine White - I Don't Like It, I Love It
18:45 : Queen - Another One Bites The Dust
18:48 : Macklemore & Ryan Lewis Feat. Eric Nally - Downtown (Select Mix Remix)

Dinner:
18:53 : Machine Gun Kelly Feat. Hailee Steinfeld - At My Best (X-Mix Edit)
18:56 : twenty one pilots - Stressed Out
18:59 : Desiigner - Timmy Turner [Clean]
19:03 : Michael Jackson - Bad
19:07 : Ellie Goulding - Lights (X-Mix Edit)
19:11 : Drake Feat. Rihanna - Too Good (Full Tilt Remix)
19:16 : Clean Bandit Feat. Jess Glynne - Rather Be (X-Mix Edit)
19:20 : Alessia Cara - Here
19:23 : Echosmith - Bright
19:27 : Maroon 5 - Sugar
19:31 : Ariana Grande - One Last Time
19:34 : Major Lazer Feat. Justin Bieber & MO - Cold Water
19:37 : Sia - Elastic Heart [Radio Edit]
19:40 : Jason Derulo - Ridin' Solo
19:44 : Omarion Feat. Chris Brown & Jhene Aiko - Post To Be [Clean]
19:47 : Fall Out Boy - Uma Thurman
19:51 : Beyonce - Countdown [Clean Edit]

Dancing:
19:54 : Big Sean - Bounce Back (X-Mix Edit)
19:58 : Fetty Wap - Trap Queen [Clean]
20:02 : Kendrick Lamar - Humble
20:04 : Kyle Feat. Lil Yachty - iSpy (Full Tilt Remix)
20:08 : V.I.C - Wobble
20:13 : Miley Cyrus - Party In The USA (B-Sharp Remix Edit)
20:16 : French Montana Feat. Swae Lee - Unforgettable
20:20 : Drake Feat. Lil Wayne - The Motto (Jymix Remix)
20:23 : Luis Fonsi Feat. Daddy Yankee & Justin Bieber - Despacito (Remix) (Joey SiK Extended Edit)
20:26 : Chaka Demus - Murder She Wrote
20:30 : Montell Jordan - This Is How We Do It
20:33 : Usher - Yeah
20:37 : Cupid - Cupid Shuffle
20:41 : Sammy Adams - All Night Longer [Clean Version]
20:43 : Nicki Minaj - Anaconda (X-Mix Edit)
20:46 : Rihanna Feat. Calvin Harris - We Found Love (Ultimix Remix)
20:49 : MAKJ & Lil Jon - Let's Get Turnt Up (Clean)
20:51 : Post Malone Feat. Quavo - Congratulations [Clean]
20:54 : Bruno Mars - That's What I Like [Super Clean]
20:57 : Silento - Watch Me
21:00 : Flo Rida feat. Sage The Gemini - GDFR (Goin' Down For Real) (X-Mix Edit)
21:03 : Future - Mask Off [Clean]
21:06 : Macklemore & Ryan Lewis Feat. Ray Dalton - Can't Hold Us
21:10 : Desiigner - Panda (X-Mix Edit)
21:13 : Romeo Santos Feat. Drake - Odio
21:17 : Enrique Iglesias Feat. Sean Paul - Bailando
21:20 : Michael Jackson - Thriller
21:25 : Ed Sheeran - Thinking Out Loud [Radio Edit]
21:29 : Lil Uzi Vert - XO Tour Llif3
21:31 : Zay Hilfigerrr & Zayion McCall - Juju On That Beat (TZ Anthem Intro Mix)
21:33 : Ariana Grande Feat. Nicki Minaj - Side To Side (Full Tilt Remix)
21:37 : Big Sean - Dance (A$$)
21:41 : Lil Jon & The Eastside Boyz - Get Low
21:44 : Sage The Gemini Feat. IAMSU - Gas Pedal (Party Bangaz Remix)
21:47 : Beyonce - Single Ladies Be Faithful (DJ Nova Remix)
21:50 : Korede Bello - Do Like That
21:53 : Mark Ronson Feat. Bruno Mars - Uptown Funk
21:56 : Sugarhill Gang - Apache
21:56 : Justin Timberlake - Can't Stop The Feeling (Full Tilt Remix)
22:00 : Casper - Cha Cha Slide (New Intro)
22:04 : Enur feat. Natasja - Calabria (Jymix Remix)
22:07 : Pitbull - I Know You Want Me (Calle Ocho) (More English Extended)
22:11 : Walk The Moon - Shut Up And Dance (X-Mix Edit)
22:14 : Don Omar Feat. Lucenzo - Danza Kuduro
22:17 : Sir Mix-A-Lot - Baby Got Back
22:21 : Romeo Santos Feat. Usher - Promise
22:25 : Journey - Don't Stop Believin'
22:29 : Iggy Azalea Feat. Charli XCX - Fancy
22:32 : Chainsmokers Feat. Halsey - Closer (Full Tilt Remix)
22:36 : Lil Mama - Lip Gloss
22:38 : Nick Jonas - Jealous (Benja Styles Remix) [Clean]
22:41 : DJ Snake Feat. Lil Jon - Turn Down For What
22:43 : Drake Feat. Wiz Kid & Kyla - One Dance (X-Mix Edit)
22:46 : Natalie La Rose Feat. Jeremih - Somebody (X-Mix Edit)
22:50 : One Direction - Night Changes

Nick Jonas... that was just wrong.

The Benja Styles remix of "Jealous" uses a killer Salt-N-Pepa backbeat and makes you forget all about Nick Jonas - the kids were singing at the top of their lungs anyway. And because high school juniors aren't familiar with the Salt-N-Pepa beat, I can mime the scratching and they think it's all me. :)

Good variety and change-ups throughout the night. How well was it received?

Better than even I expected - my Photobooth guy (who's almost 20 years younger than me and has seen me do a zillion weddings) was equally impressed. What impressed me most: ZERO complaints from the students; I like to appease everyone and that's not usually possible with Generation YouTube... but it happened.

Personally, I would've liked to wrap up the night with a bit more energy, but there was a rush for the exits at 10:30 when the kids' rides home started arriving and the banquet staff started stripping linens off the tables. We had 200 kids on the dancefloor for "Don't Stop Believin'", and about 100 left for the song that immediately followed.

No one requested Rolex ?

Nobody. Fortunately, they provided me with a list of about 40 requests before the date of the event, so I wasn't totally blindsided by their musical preferences. I enabled the Guest Request feature of DJ Event Planner to allow them to submit their requests online; they liked the tech aspect of it, but the hidden benefit for me was to see how many requests were being made by the same 3 people so I could avoid catering only to them.

Gee...I didn't think anyone was slower load out than me! LOL However, on one occasion I did have the manager who wanted to close up quickly ask me to take everything that was already cased outside the doors and hurry with the remaining pieces.

Reactions: DJ Bobcat
Gee...I didn't think anyone was slower load out than me! LOL However, on one occasion I did have the manager who wanted to close up quickly ask me to take everything that was already cased outside the doors and hurry with the remaining pieces.

Who said I was slow load? It was only 30-40 minutes after the event has ended. I'd taken the first load down an elevator. Got back in the door to discover the elevator had been turned off. Then the building alarm went off. Security said the banquet manager was still sitting in his car in the parking lot. She was dog-cussing him for leaving.

RR...that would piss me off too. Hope you lock your vehicle between trips. Who was the "she" (the dog-cussing one)? Sounds like both of your were upset...understatement I'm sure.

RR...that would piss me off too. Hope you lock your vehicle between trips. Who was the "she" (the dog-cussing one)? Sounds like both of your were upset...understatement I'm sure.

"she" being the security guard. Pretty cool lady but she was mad that the banquet captain had locked up, knowing I was still in there.

Wow!
Like a lot of us, I have very few gigs from November thru April.
So, I am not very current on the new songs on the charts.
In a HUGE reality check, I did not recognize ANY of the new songs on your list, Brendan.
My first wedding is May 12th, so I guess I had better start doing some research.
Just sucks when I think that I will be buying and downloading like a madman...
for a bunch of songs that probably won't have ANY shelf life.

10:30 and the prom was over? Gee...friday i'm playing till 2am..most go to 12 or 1am around here, start at 7 or 8.

The one I'm DJing is 8-2, my photobooth will be at one that's 7-12.

I'm working on music tonight..got lists out the yang to look at...much of it I have, some I don't and a lot i've never heard of...is it me, the area or what?

Did a couple of dances this year and one had requests online before - and the songs i've never heard of weren't on any request list...so mebbe I get to break new tunes? LOL

I'd say half of the list in the OP's post are ones I don't know/never heard of.

But then I was watching the latest episode of BBC's Top Gear and the guest was Jay Kay..never heard of him either..seems he's been making music for 20 years..they said he's got hte number one song in the world right now...??? Really?

10:30 and the prom was over? Gee...friday i'm playing till 2am..most go to 12 or 1am around here, start at 7 or 8.

6p to 11p, but it was a junior prom and the venue was a church hall, so much of the setup and breakdown was done by the faculty and chaperones. They started breaking things down at 10:30 so they'd be able to keep an eye on the kids who were still waiting for their rides outside at 11:00.

But then I was watching the latest episode of BBC's Top Gear and the guest was Jay Kay..never heard of him either..seems he's been making music for 20 years..they said he's got the number one song in the world right now...??? Really?

Lead singer of Jamiroquai (didn't even have to look that one up).

I loaded all my gear into the arena on Sunday. They were busy draping the ceiling so I couldn't do anything.

Monday I went on a date so I was busy.
Yesterday I got the small pa well set up for the grand March practice today, along with my light truss and FOH set in place. (Went after teaching guitar)
Tonight I'll be setting up my light rig and maybe sound
Uplighting tomorrow and I should be all done, ready for Saturday.

Tear down Saturday night.
Load out Sunday early
Load into a bar for a Sunday bar gig with 2 bands
Work Monday
Tear down Monday night.

Oh, I work Mon - thurs, 7am - 5:30pm in 104F heat

Fun fun

558972F2-8CC6-4BD5-9350-32C6E5793405.jpg

C07332B1-E6F2-4DFB-B9BC-24E692EAC6D2.jpg
FA3BBAC0-EFBE-4B65-B94B-7756012D5132.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: steve149
That speaker is a Yorkville NX750p. There's a band playing the night of prom so I use that as the drummers monitor.

Part of the entertainment. I think they are doing 3 songs or so. Then there's other performers, a couple solo acts, guitar/vocals and a 4th act, someone playing guitar and someone else singing. It will be a good night.

Reactions: ittigger and DJ TJ